Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foofoo

Who here has attempted learning a programming language?

I learnt a bit C, Perl, Bash, HTML, vbcode and various unix configuration files.
I learnt and quite forget them now Pascal, Fortran, Matlab, Logo, Basic, LaTeX, Mediawiki and the TI pseudo-Pascal.

ducon said:

I learnt and quite forget them now Pascal, Fortran, Matlab, Logo, Basic, LaTeX, Mediawiki and the TI pseudo-Pascal.

Now that you mention LaTeX, that's another one I'd like to eventually learn. It may come in handy someday. That or learn nroff syntax, heh.

In a rough order of skill: Visual Basic.NET, ASP 3.0/VBScript, PHP, Java, PL/SQL, C++, TI-85 BASIC, C#. Also, things that aren't programming languages: SQL, HTML, and a little bit of CSS.

From more to less skilled with, my list would roughly be: Python, Java, C, PHP, Matlab, Scheme, Haskell, Ruby, Visual Basic, C++

Oh, I always forget HTML isn't an actual programming language...

Just out of curiousity, what makes HTML not a programming language? Like, what's the difference between that and the average computer programming language?

Lizardcommando said:

Like, what's the difference between that and the average computer programming language?

HTML is hypertext markup language, for presenting and displaying mainly text data. Programming languages let you create things that you can actually interact with.

Also, GooberMan is full of lies.

Bloodshedder said:

HTML is hypertext markup language, for presenting and displaying mainly text data. Programming languages let you create things that you can actually interact with.

Also, GooberMan is full of lies.

also, I think languages are usually compiled. Things which arent are scripts, and HTML is neither.

Bloodshedder said:

BASIC is (arguably) a programming language, and it is interpreted, not compiled. So is Python.

The entire .NET framework as well. Well, sorta. MSIL is interpreted a few times and then compiled using a JIT compiler. I suppose you could say the same thing about Java and its bytecode.

And I believe this is also fairly appropriate for this thread (and humerous): How to shoot yourself in the foot in various programming languages.

Lizardcommando said:

Just out of curiousity, what makes HTML not a programming language? Like, what's the difference between that and the average computer programming language?

You can't create programs with HTML. It simply displays information on the screen. HTML is no more a language than Word documents or text files.

Bloodshedder said:

BASIC is (arguably) a programming language, and it is interpreted, not compiled. So is Python.

More specifically, Python (unlike [many implementations of] BASIC) is compiled to bytecode, and can be compiled to machine code dynamically.

C, Haskell, Prolog, Java, Sinclair BASIC, x86 and MIPS assembly, LaTeX, Lex and Yacc.

Obviously HTML is a programming language in the sense that it tells the web browser how to behave ie., what to render. Interactivity isn't a requisite (most programs one uses aren't anyway).

Bloodshedder said:

Are you implying I've never actualy learned a programming language?

spank said:

Obviously HTML is a programming language in the sense that it tells the web browser how to behave ie., what to render.

HTML is a bunch of formatting tags applied to text. It's a method of displaying information, not processing information.

GooberMan said:

HTML is a bunch of formatting tags applied to text. It's a method of displaying information, not processing information.

Php, Xml

spank said:

Obviously HTML is a programming language in the sense that it tells the web browser how to behave ie., what to render.

So plain text is a programming language since it tells the text editor what to render?

Since the distinction can indeed be fuzzy, I believe it is safest to limit the definition to the Turing-complete languages.

Fredrik said:

Since the distinction can indeed be fuzzy, I believe it is safest to limit the definition to the Turing-complete languages.

I would definitely have to agree here. HTML, XML, and the like are markup languages, not programming languages. Heck, it's even in their name. Yes, some like HTML tell the browser or whatnot how to render the text on the screen, but not all of these languages do this. The thing is, HTML and the like aren't giving the computer specific instructions to execute on the processor.

I learned a little bit of Pascal a couple of years ago. I don't think I remember any of it though.

The only programming I'm interested in is the TV programming! *rimshot*

Seriously, I know at least a dozen programming languages (and I like odd languages, like Brainfuck and Piet)... Nice to see I'm not the only person in the world who knows Haskell. ;-)

i used to want to be a programmer as well kinda.

first semester of college, took Java. the teacher was learning along as we did, so it was kind of hard to learn. bought a few books/read the course material and didnt get ANYWHERE. passed the class with a B somehow

the 2nd class, java 2, the teacher was a professor this time, and not a part time faculty, so he kinda knew more than she did (even tho he knew c++, not java). i totally gave up on this class after 5 attendances, because i knew going would just be a waste of time. i got an A in the class somehow, after not turning in a single sheet of paper to this person, and attending only 5 classes.

it was then that i finally decided that my mind was not meant to learn to program, at least not java anyways. so ive given up on all languages. and probably college too, cuz i hate it so bad.