Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wobbo

If you thought the Quake4 trailer was impressive...

Aside from creating your own portals, which is cool, I don't see anything that is too new... although I only watched half of it... looked pretty decent.

Why even call it the Doom 3 engine anymore? They're just remaking old games with it, why not call it the Remake Engine? Prey (new) is just a remake, Doom, Quake, everything!

What? Shut up. Prey was never even released, so how does that make it a remake? Doom 3 shows NO resemblence to anything in the original doom (especially in the level design) to make it seem like a remake. Quake IV is a continuation on the Quake 2 universe, and it also is not a remake.

I don't see a SINGLE remake being done on the Doom 3 engine.

Wobbo said:

Has there ever been a more impressive e3 demonstration? For a FPS? for any genre?

Yes, many times.

I actually wandered into the E3 Prey demo, it looked nice and all, but it's not OMFG so awesome.

I am with you totally dude, this looks awesome, looks freakier than the early e3 doom video that was leaked. I will be getting this as soon as it's available

Awesome game! 3d realms, looks like you got yourself a wi...

Wait a second, 3d realms...

WHERE THE FUCK IS OUR DUKE NUKEM!?

oh golly gee, is that a gravity gun I spot in that trailer?

Nah...couldn't be

I'd rather wait for Alan Wake. It sounds like a more original idea, whereas Prey seems like it'll end up being technology-driven (too many "flashy" uses of portals, not enough real puzzles based on them).

Quast said:

oh golly gee, is that a gravity gun I spot in that trailer?

Your powers of observation amaze me.

Looks awesome. I like those gravity path thingies.

AgentSpork said:

Doom 3 shows NO resemblence to anything in the original doom (especially in the level design) to make it seem like a remake.

It's a retelling of Doom I's story, which classifies it as a remake from a story perspective.

Pretty awesome, I'm loving the use of the engine. What's the deal with black hole generator from Quake2?? That gizmo at the end looks just like it!

The portals and gravity effects could hypothetically be used for interesting gameplay, but I predict they will be used mostly gimmickly.

Looks like Prey the game and Prey the movie are completley opposite, the game has been in development for coming up on 10 years, whereas the movie was conceived, written and filmed in 10 days, though its suprisingly good considering, well the lesbians and alien werewolf might help it along (they better, theyre the only characters!)

Scabbed Angel said:

Aside from creating your own portals, which is cool, I don't see anything that is too new... although I only watched half of it... looked pretty decent.

The fighting to ressurect yourself and alternate world doppleganger wasnt new to you? what other game has anythign close to these features?

Not to mention the dynamic gravity changes.

Oh and WildWeasel, at one point in the demo theres are real gravity based puzzle that also uses the portal tech as well, it happens after the huge set-peice is put to gether spinning inside the engine (scripted)

The doubters MIGHT be right, but from what i see this coudl be the killer app for the technology doom3 had but put to terrible use

Linguica said:

Yes, many times.

I actually wandered into the E3 Prey demo, it looked nice and all, but it's not OMFG so awesome.

Uhhh, ok. But just out of my curiosity, what other technology demonstration actually demonstrated so many cool gameplay applications in your opinion? I woudl really love to know

Wobbo said:

The fighting to ressurect yourself and alternate world doppleganger wasnt new to you? what other game has anythign close to these features?

A Hercules game for the Playstation had the same idea dee-lee. If you died, you'd go to the underworld and fight for your right to come back to live. It was awesome. :D

My mate was designing an online RPG once where if you fucked with the admins you got sent to hell, which was a giant maze that you had to escspe from. And if you pissed them off a second time you got sent to a really tall mountain with just enough room to move around on top, and the admins could come to a 'shooting gallery' which had a huge gun and blow them away, or they could try and jump off and get impaled

wow that looks like a mix of Doom 3, Half-Life, and some Native American story.

Cool! :)

However is it just me, or does every game based on the Doom III engine reek of, well, Doom III? I mean its hard to describe but maybe its the textures or lighting or monsters, but every game so far for the engine looks like a Doom III expansion at first glance (ignoring the weapons). Why is that?

Wobbo said:

Soul Reaver, but of course it is an absolutely awesome feature, a good idea for a FPS in my opinion.

insertwackynamehere said:

However is it just me, or does every game based on the Doom III engine reek of, well, Doom III? I mean its hard to describe but maybe its the textures or lighting or monsters, but every game so far for the engine looks like a Doom III expansion at first glance (ignoring the weapons). Why is that?

Maybe because Sci-Fi games are now taking place in dark tech areas.

Oh yeah and I was very impressed with this vid.

I heard that the Doom engine was better for indoor environments + horror usually takes place in the dark + cool lighting effects order the programers to do it in cool tech places.

Hmmmmm, you could make a doom level in a Tokyo setting.

[i]I don't see a SINGLE remake being done on the Doom 3 engine. [/B]

LoL Doom 3 IS the Doom remake ...