Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sitters

Vavoom port

Can anybody tell me how the vavoom port is function in compare to the doomsday port ?

Hires textures, MD2 models, Lightning and the FPS ?

Greetings.

sitters said:

Hires textures

Doesn't appear to be any support.

MD2 models,

Of what I've seen, they animate like sprites. Best stick with Doomsday

Lightning

About on par with Doomsday

FPS

Good enough.

Hires textures = Yes

MD2 models = Yes, but the ones that are available are awful looking.

Lightning = Yes, but things can get ugly when putting lighting on complex structures.

FPS = Better than Doomsday, worse than Risen3D.

Yeah I stay by doomsday, but I am always curios what other ports can do.

Nuxius said:

Hires textures = Yes

MD2 models = Yes, but the ones that are available are awful looking.

Lightning = Yes, but things can get ugly when putting lighting on complex structures.

FPS = Better than Doomsday, worse than Risen3D.

are the models bad or the rendering by the engine ?

Greetings

Just the models themselves are bad looking.

They could look as good as any of the models for Doomsday if someone took the time to make them.

If I knew more about MD2 models I would ask DaniJ if I could take his models and port them over, much like what has been done for Risen3D.

Model animation in Vavoom is very poor.

Also Vavoom's options for models are extremely limited when compared to Doomsday.

Doomsday uses the DMD format which is an improved MD2 format with LOD, better normals etc etc.

Yeah I have been using the Vavoom engine for a while. It basically can do all the features mentioned. People complain about glitches but runs perfect for me. Its more a mix of zdoom and edge source ports with quake style static lighting. Janiz (creator of vavoom) said he was going to update the next version of vavoom with updated model packs. Find out more about vavoom here: http://www.vavoom-engine.com/

why cant a good programmer just stand up and put in high quality models? (and a modeler who makes 'm) :(

The new Doomsday and Legacy (as well as ZdoomGL probably, don't quote me on that) will have MD3 models, a la Quake III. DaniJ is also making an amazingly high quality model pack for Jdoom so far.

i hope legacy will support them. Even better would be Edge 3D supporting them. Cant wait to see it :). I loved the Doom 3 mod they made. It has (for now) 3 maps recreated from doom 1, and it looks amazing ^_^

I think everyone is forgetting the most important thing, vavoom has a terrible functionality rate on most people's systems.

It works fine for me, and on three-year-old hardware. It clearly works OK for some other people too.

Backed up by that personal experience and anecdotal testimony from others, I could advance a claim that it works well for "most people". However, that would be just as baseless as your statement. Unless you've actually done a wide-ranging survey generating statistically significant results, of course.

Please avoid making wide-ranging claims that aren't supported by real evidence. That makes flame wars about these things less likely.

I'm not just puking out of my mouth here, most people I talk to have difficulties getting Vavoom to run. I've tried running it on a few computers and it never works. I'm running windows 98 on one and XP on another.

It locked up for me once because it first grabbed the mouse and keyboard and then attempted to open an internet connection. As a result I couldn't do anything in the firewall's popup window.

robindegen said:

eh... there's another project on doom 2, but that one is crap because they're not recreating it, they're copying it (using convertors)

Erm, what has this project got to do with EDGE, Legacy, or MD3 models in Doom 1 & 2?

You can add me to the list of people that Vavoom runs fine for. Then again, I haven't had a problem running any of the sourceports I've tested (which is just about everything with the exception of Eternity).

bryant robinson said:

Its more a mix of zdoom and edge source ports with quake style static lighting. Janiz (creator of vavoom) said he was going to update the next version of vavoom with updated model packs.

It also has a lot of Legacy code it in as well. Menu structure is the same (which I detest), and it carries a lot of Legacy's problems over with it. Plus, it says so in the FAQ (heh :p).

That's good to hear that a new model pack is coming out for it though.

NiGHTMARE said:

Erm, what has this project got to do with EDGE, Legacy, or MD3 models in Doom 1 & 2?

did i say that?

robindegen said:

did i say that?

robindegen said:

i hope legacy will support them. Even better would be Edge 3D supporting them. Cant wait to see it :). I loved the Doom 3 mod they made. It has (for now) 3 maps recreated from doom 1, and it looks amazing ^_^

Using the word "they" strongly implies that you're referring to the people who're responsible for the same thing you've been talking about previously, especially if you don't begin a new paragraph. In this case, that would either be the Legacy team, or the EDGE team.