Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MasterShazbot

Axis & Abaddon Review

Axis & Abaddon review
By MasterShazbot (2nd WW review)
WildWeasel's new weapon mod is, overall, pretty good.
Damage – & – Ammo balance 5/5
New enemies 4/5
New Sounds 4.5/5
New GFX 4.5/5
Gameplay 5/5

Score 4.75/5

The Damage – & – Ammo balancing is great. No problems here.

The new enemies are great. They go with the general setting of the weaponry, but I would like to see this pack extended (A&A MK2) that changes all enemies (or adds new ones) that all have a WW2 theme. Bigger monsters could always be made into vehicles (Caco's into German fighter planes, etc).

The new sounds are good. The MG42 has a bug (get too close to something and fire, and the sound will not play). One thing that bugs me is using normal human voices for the Nazi soldiers. These voices do not fit the atmosphere of doom very well. Zombie Nazi’s would have sounded better, unless you want to make the whole thing WW2-themed.

The graphics are good. Some of the weapons look low in detail, but then again, this is doom. One cannot expect the best of the best with sprites. If they can be sharpened up a bit, they would look better. The Nazi graphics are nice. I suggest sharpening the Nazi skins and making their weapons bigger for more detail.

Gameplay is great. These new weapons will not leave you cannon fodder, nor will they hose the enemies down with no skill.

Excellent mod WildWeasel, I liked it. I’d like to see an add-on to this one too.

-MasterShazbot

Although small, this is grade A material. Come on down to doom armory, we sure as hell would love your company.

MasterShazbot said:

The MG42 has a bug (get too close to something and fire, and the sound will not play).

Unfixable--the MG42 fires projectiles with speed 50 with a blank death sound. The death sound overrides the firing sound for God knows what reason; hence, teh blankness of dewm plays instead of the shooting noise.

Yes, absolutely unfixable - I thought I put this under Known Bugs in the text file (or else I forgot to put it in - I tend to do that). I would have loved to have German voices for the Nazi characters, but I couldn't find anything short of Wolfenstein sounds that worked very well. And everybody knows that since the Nazi party is already evil enough - Hell didn't have much of a reason to change them.

Sometimes the MG42 doesn't shoot properly when upward. I found myself having to aim farther upward than I needed until the weapon fire finally moved towards my cursor.

I'll try to get a screenshot if I can.

Usually if a Projectile is moving too fast, it doesnt seem to go over height differences

I think speed 40 is the highest speed that still works fine in EDGE, which is still faster than the top speed of projectiles in most other engines, including normal doom, but still not 'really' fast