Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gokuma

What do Europeans think of American drivers?

Are American drivers pathetic slow freaking morons?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Are American drivers pathetic slow freaking morons?

• Yes
    • No
    • I didn`t notice because I have ADD

Let me just say this :

1967 Ford Mustang Fastback (me)
1998 Ford Mustang (my brother)

Slow? BTW, don't rattle off kick-ass cars your ass can't afford.

Americans are always driving fast when they can, shit, radar detectors were made for a reason.

However, I think both European drivers and American drivers generally have no qualms about driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Honestly, weed and most other drugs don't really affect a driver as much as alcohol but in these cases, speed is dangerous and should be avoided. Seriously, if you're fucking cocked, at least stay in the lines and don't fucking speed.

Oh and European cars (not expensive brands) are wimpy while here most cars haul ass as a general rule.

EDIT : also, speed has caused some people I know to get into accidents, one died. Speed is a dangerous toy...

I've noticed many americans who come to Mildenhall, near-ish to me, drive perfectly normally. Though tales of people killed under Dodge Rams inadvertantley driven on the wrong side of the road abound. Then again one of those would take up both sides of the road in some places around the Fens...they must pay fucking tons of money for petrol to drive those things in england

Anyone driving slower than you is a damn turtle, but anyone driving faster is freeking crazy. Laws of life

I'm talking about the morons who slow down single lane roads by going ten miles or more under the speed limit. Around Lancaster PA it's impossible to get around in a decent time because of them (it freaking takes twenty minutes to go five miles!) and in my home area it's getting worse. The shitheads in trucks and SUV's are another story. Typically people in minivans and older trucks are the slowest drivers aside from a few people in cars whether old or young. People in newer SUV's and trucks are the biggest assholes most likely to rear end you and have their headlights shining in your back window and reflecting in your mirror. There was a time when I had to turn into a road going downhill in the snow faster than I wanted and slid a little because I knew the fatass on my ass wouldn't have been able to slow down enough if I slowed down as much I want.

i voted yes, but that's because I live in a country where speed limit is set by the music you are listening to...

Also it's a known fact that American highways have higher fatality rates than the Autobon despite their speed limits.

BBG said:

Oh and European cars (not expensive brands) are wimpy while here most cars haul ass as a general rule.

Can't argue with that, especially when it comes to the big trucks. The European "articulated lorries" look utterly pathetic compared to the manly American "semis" with the sticky-out bit at the front and the big funnel jobby.

Slow? Not in NYC. They all try to go fast whenever possible, screwing with the stop lights etc. Go in a cab and the driver goes full speed when possible.

I have a question. Why is it in the states we have access to all these nice foreign cars, but in the countries where these cars are from it's not the case. For example, the japanese make excellent cars(hondas, toyotas, nissans) but in Japan all you see are these little shitty toy cars.

I also have to add....Slow? Hardly. Every jerk-off around here anyway, likes to think they are above the law when using public roads. So most everyone drives 15-20 mph over.

What the hell is the point of this thread? Do you think that only americans are capable of driving in a not-so-perfect way? And no I don't drive, I got rid of my car a couple of years ago since I do not need it while in the city.

baronofhell said:

I have a question. Why is it in the states we have access to all these nice foreign cars, but in the countries where these cars are from it's not the case. For example, the japanese make excellent cars(hondas, toyotas, nissans) but in Japan all you see are these little shitty toy cars.

Because of the market. North America tends to buy larger cars, while in the more densely populated european and asian cities they don't have room for such cars, creating a market for smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles.

I said no, because I have good experience of both communities. I live in the south of France and I worked near the silicon valley in California.
I see much more assholes in France, especially in the south. I actually never got close into accidents in CA, whereas in France, it's almost every day... fucking bastards burning lights, yields, stops and fast careless driving.
Also, in France, most people will drive far over the speed limit, tailgate as much as they can, and slip in front of you with just a couple inches distance. For example speedlimit on freeway is 130 km/h (~95 mph), most people will set on a 140-145 km/h which is okay with the cops, but some asses will go 160-180 km/h (120 mph) and will rarely be caught because, unlike the US, we got very few cops on the road.
So overall, I found the american driver more polite and respectful. Of course there are freaks everywhere, IMO there are less in the US than in Europe.

Got to reply about "haul ass" cars or trucks in the US... it's sure the cars are strong over there, but what the point ? most people don't use that power... would be easier to rent such car when you really need it. I personally believe it's a waste. Europe started to work on lowering gas consumption since the 70s, our engines are much advanced, efficient and "ecologic" than the prehistoric american's.

What's the point wasting 10 miles a gallons just to do your shopping, drive the kids around or go to work ? ...well... absolutely none. Sure there are some people that really need such cars... like farmers, etc... but not common people.

Americans are ruining the world's oil reserve by wasting fuel so fast and uselessly. They will also be the 1st ones to whine when we will really lack it. They already start to complain about the prices... buy more economic cars and spend less money on your car !!!

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp. (NYSE:GM - News) is recalling 291,652 Saturn L-Series sedans and wagons in the United States because of defective tail lights, U.S. safety regulators said on Friday.

Bunch of Yankee crap :P
I drive a French car :)

I'm an American, and I think American drivers suck. There's never a happy medium. They're either drunk and driving too fast, or they're yakking on their phone and going too slow. I'm afraid to get my license.

I would hope that it is more difficult to obtain a driver's license (or similar) in other countries than in the US.
Due to societal reasons, they allow almost anyone to get a DL.
Just try to name another public activity where it is understood that a certain percentage will die doing it.
Le Car -- good thing it says that on the side, otherwise Americans wouldn't know what it was.
heh.

Another concern is the lack of later testing to check that drivers are still up to scratch many years after they have passed their test. And also the shortness of bans that are typically handed out, even for severe driving offences. In the UK at least, these seem to be bigger concerns than any laxness in the initial testing itself. (This is coming from someone who never bothered to learn to drive, BTW. <small>Just to make this post vaguely on topic: If I did, I'd probably buy a German car.</small>)

Opulent said:

Just try to name another public activity where it is understood that a certain percentage will die doing it.

Um, crossing the road? Swimming? Consuming alcoholic beverages? Eating peanuts?

Gokuma said:

Stuff about Lancaster

Are you and I thinking of the same place? Cause all I ever see are balding freaks careening in their monster Phallusmobiles, and angry moms who are "always on the go" (read: always five minutes late). You don't find the comatose drivers until you get further into civilization.

Grazza said:

(This is coming from someone who never bothered to learn to drive, BTW. <small>Just to make this post vaguely on topic: If I did, I'd probably buy a German car.</small>)

I was thinking that too, but 1st you need a load of money, like $40.000, to buy a BMW or a Mercedes.
2nd, when I was in California, my boss, colleagues and friends that had a BMW all had problems with them, mostly detectors and little things that breaks all the time...they were all pissed, so I took BMW off my list, Mercedes was already off long time ago.

I'd probably go for a Mercedes. Just because they're high-quality, safe, and don't appear to have such a "this driver is a wanker" stigma attached to them as some other cars in that bracket.

Not quite sure what I'd use it for though. I don't need to travel much, and when I do, it's normally to another continent.

Grazza said:

Can't argue with that, especially when it comes to the big trucks. The European "articulated lorries" look utterly pathetic compared to the manly American "semis" with the sticky-out bit at the front and the big funnel jobby.

TASTELESS

Also Americans are more patriotic than Europeans as indicated by all the flags on our cars.

God bless America, from sea to shining sea. Never forget!

Scuba Steve said:

God bless America, from sea to shining sea. Never forget!

Indeed...America?...Fuck yeh! :P