Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Huge Guts!?

Hey, there hasn't been any news on the Doom movie in a while, right? Check out a preview of a set visit on Dark Horizons. Of course filming wrapped a month or two ago (or maybe more, I haven't been paying attention), but better late than never, right? I'll just cut to the meat of the article since very little else is said about the film:

1) In their own words, the makers of the film are going for a "Hard R."

2) Every set, every corridor, every weapon looks faithful to the game. The set is a maze of dark corridors, steel-dungeony-looking hallways that should be scary as hell. The arsenal of weapons includes several nods to the game, including, of course, the BFG.

3) Real models when possible, minimizing the employment of green screens.

4) Sometime in the future, John Grimm (Karl Oben), Sarge (The Rock), and a military -esque crew receive a distress call from a science lab on the remote planet Olduvai. Once on Oldvuai, they're thrown into a maelstrom of dimly-lit hallways, monsters, and bloodshed.

5) The sets are all indoors

So you can at least stop complaining that it won't be ultra-violent and move onto the fact that it takes place on 'Oldvuai' and takes place pretty much entirely indoors. Hey, just like Doom 3!

I was just wondering how different locations have been named for the setting of this movie? I know of the following four, but are there any others?

1) Earth
2) Mars
3) Olduvai
4) No-one ever mentions the name of the planet.

Although the doom movie looks alright, and the casting is so-so, I think that the Original Doom movie looked a whole lot better, 3D is great, but you just can't beat good old fashioned models, and at least the original stayed true to the Doom story.

Yes, but everything in my list has been claimed as the setting for the movie in various previews, interviews, etc (and with the exception of 4), all of them have been on the IMDB description at one time or another ;)).

I remember one movie website saying something along the lines of "it is left for the viewer to decide where the movie is set, as the name of the planet is never mentioned in the script". At least two sites claimed that "the marines find themselves teleported to a base on an unknown planet".

Hmm, hmmm. But they seem to be hiding the fact that they are going to change the very essence of the plot...

...DEMONS! If it don't happen, I'll be utterly shocked.

Fredrik said:
Has any Doomer ever named their children anything from Doom? That'd be scary.

Admit it, Imp is a great name for a kid!

If Swedes can call their kids Björn (bear) and Ulf (wolf), why shouldn't Doomers call theirs Arachnotron and Arch-Vile? They pose us a threat to us in much the same way that bears and wolves did in times gone by.

In fact, one of my colleagues once used that as the basis for proposing the name Cacodemon for his forthcoming child. His wife wasn't too impressed by the idea though.

This movie is going to kick ass. As long as the audience doesn't go into it with expectations of faithful rendition to the games.

We like Doom because it's a user-friendly slugathon. I'm rooting that the movie is of the same ilk.

Grazza said:

If Swedes can call their kids Björn (bear) and Ulf (wolf), why shouldn't Doomers call theirs Arachnotron and Arch-Vile?

Does Archie count? :)

"3. The effects: Bartkowiak is using real models when possible, minimizing the employment of green screens. For instance, the monsters have real monster costumes--dark and creepy. The "Baron," in particular, looks like an "Aliens"-worthy creature. Much more on him later."

Its about time. After the horrors of the acting in SW:EPIII, people need to realise actors need a set in order to act well and not endless green or blue curtains. We don't want anymore horrific "Noooooooooooooo!!" sequences. People have to realise that real models and sets look better than cgi and are scarier: Alien/s, Predator, original Star Wars, Star Trek, and even Doctor Who.

Fredrik said:
Has any Doomer ever named their children anything from Doom? That'd be scary.

People name their sons "John" (as in "John Romero") every now and then... :-P

EDIT:

Grazza said:
If Swedes can call their kids Björn (bear) and Ulf (wolf)

We also call people Stig (path), Sten (stone), Bo (home/nest), Axel (shoulder), Mark (ground), Bror (brother), etc. ;-)

BTW "ulv" is a very old word, almost archaic. The modern word for "wolf" is "varg".

4. The story: The script is loosely based on the "Doom 3" videogame.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

DD_133 said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Gasp. It's Darth Vader.

lol or luke. Anyway, i can't wait until this comes out :-)

the universal site says it'll come 10-21-2005

robindegen said:

ehh... where?

star wars = excellent special effects to hide b-grade acting.

dethtoll said:

star wars = excellent special effects to hide b-grade acting.

In all six episodes.

I do agree about CGI versus real models. Real models are, well, real. Even if sometimes they look a bit shonky, at least you know they are actually there. CGI, IMO, suffers because you know it simply doesn't exist. CGI has its place and it can make a movie look very impressive. But there are times when a real model does the job much more convincingly, or lets an actor do his job more convincingly.

Enjay said:

In all six episodes.

hmm i dont agree at all with that.. and there's no CGI in 4, 5 and 6 (only in the special edition... which i dont like)

Actually the imps are played by guys in suits. (Quite talented stuntmen I might add.) But I can't vouch for any other "alien."

Sounds good, as long as there is enogh acting to go along with the ass kicking. This is Doom, not Rambo.