Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheOx

Question(switches)

Now i am on switches. I approached it like walk over doors but i did it the same way but it hasnt worked. It doesnt even click. It just stays there. Can someone plz tell me if theres an area i went wrong.*does the switch have to be its own sector or just one linedef*

That post wasn't completely undestandable, but I'll try to help you based on what I think you're trying to ask:

Am I right in understanding that you gave a switch the same attribute as a door? If so, this is not the way to do it. You can make a switch open a door, so if you want to do that, read the following -

Give the sector you want to open with the switch a 'tag' (can be defined when you right-click it in 'Sector mode') e.g. give it a tag of '1' (never '0', as every sector with the tag 0 will be affected).
Put a switch texture on a wall and give the line the same tag as the door (1). If done right, when you hover your mouse over the door, the line that activates the door will 'glow' blue and vice versa. Run your map, flip the switch and the door should open.

If this is what you are asking, I hope this helps. If you want visual aids of what to do (hell, I could send you a small example map or two), I can put some up tomorrow (it's late and I'm tired)...

i got that far to where when i scroll over the switch the door glows but when i test play it just wont click.

im not sure what the problem is.

ok whats a good action to give the switch.
do you give any action to the door.
does the the floor level matter any.

I'm not sure I can fully help you unless I have a clear picture of what's going wrong. Apparently, everything is running fine apart from the door opening... strange. I'll help you as much as I can, though.
Floor level doesn't really matter, just as long as it's the ceiling touching the floor and not the other way around, as doors open upwards. If it's the floor touching the ceiling, then you'll have to use a lift action. The action to give depends on how you want the door to act. Commonly, switch-controlled doors are ones that do the open-wait-close sequence (like a regular door). Usually, you don't give a switch-controlled door an action, unless it's like a 'trick' door where one side has an 'open' action and you can open it on one side but have to use a switch to open it on the other (the other side has no action).

If you're still having trouble send me your level and I'll try to determine what the problem is and write back to you after examination.
If all else fails, you could try shouting at your computer. :P

ill keep trying and send it too you if i cant do it

believe me yelling at your computor doesnt work. Ive tried :P

Have you tried opening up any original Doom2 levels? You might find all the answers you need in maps that are already working.

have you fliped the linedefs so its pointing towards you or inside the wall, it should be pointing out/ towards you

Maybe you have it set to activate when you walk over the line (W1, WR) instead of when you use the space bar (S1, SR). I've made that mistake many times.

actually i just uploaded my first level today

THE INFECTED TOWER LVL1

LOOK FOR IT!!!!!!!

*the zip file is called Inftower.zip*
im working on The Infected Tower lvl2 right now

it just came out today its actually called

inftower-1.zip

i know its not very good but its a lot better then those over sized,too much ammo,WAY too many monster,tons of HOM wads. No illisio-pit in mine :)