Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

well, first of all, a few of you know me, and if you do, you know that i do like doom. and for the record, i think that doom is the best frikkin game ive ever owned. for one thing, its the only game that ive played since 1994. i think ive got my moneys worth out of it... ANYWAYS! before i get carried away, here is a question that i hope doesnt offend any of you...

Why do we all play doom?

i mean why doom? there are hundreds of better looking games out there. the technology has definatly increased. i just dont understand it. why am i and other doomers hooked on it? its like ive been brainwashed into doom. i mean there are other games out there that have much better level design, and still were sticking to editing doom. i mean quake 3 for instance. The radiant level editor is not that hard to use. i got into it recently and i made levels for quake 2, 3, and RTCW, and it really wasnt even hard. so here i am asking you, why doom?

AgentSpork said:

It's fun.

Pretty much says it all! When I wanna just run around and blast things - DOOM!!

Personally, I believe we play Doom because it's the original, it has all of the features of today, but it is still original, a lot of people can paint a mock of the Mona Lisa, but that doesn't mean it's better, they can even paint a better looking Mona Lisa, and still, we'd all like the original better, it's just because no games have truly been able to emulate the "Doom" experience, they try and sway us with fancy effects and story lines, but Doom just stopped at gameplay, making it a simple pleasure, and besides, there are thousands (possibly millions) of doom wads out there, so Doom is always new, and finally, like the others have said, it's just fun.

i play DOOM™ because it's t3h-r0x0r2 game :P, actually because it's quite easy to modify, and I don't understand a shit about 3d. That's why DOOM(and it's nice to play,too).

Its original. And the monsters/weapons/maps are very memoriable. I mean the orig ones. How many other games can you think of that have such memories and originality as Doom? None. Zip. Nada.

I use architecture from Doom and successful Doom megawads as inspiration for the map designs in my Duke Nukem 3D levels.

Because it was the second first person shooter I played after wolf3d.
When doom came out back in 93/94 for me its was such an cool looking game to play.
I can't give an very good reason other than that its fun to play, and I like to make maps for it.
And I don't mind that doom doesn't look as nice as most modern shooters.
Ive played alot of games and got bored eventually from every single one, but not doom...strange.

i never play the original doom. If there werent any wads or mods i would've stopped playing doom like 10 years ago.

in other words, i only play doom for the mountain of wads avaiable for it. because doom is just so god damn vanilla it makes whatever modifications to it look awesome.

1.)Fun to play
2.)Easy to edit
3.)Doesn't require much hardware (unlike everything else nowadays)
4.)Doesn't take up too much space on your hard-drive (even with a whole bunch of WADs in the folder, it's still gonna be smaller than UT)
5.)Great background tunes!

Done.

Because it's my favorite game. I dont get tired of playing it. That's all there is to it for me. I dont think it's the best game ever made. But it happens to be the one I like the most.

I just can't stop playing this game, its something about the monsters... I dunno.

It's just one of those games you can't stop playing once you pick it up. I couldn't back in 1995 and ten years later, I still can't, especially since I've learned to map for Doom in the last few years.
Take it all around, it's just a very memorable and fun game and that's really all there is to say.

As many of us would agree, for a brief moment in time it took our breath away. Very nice graphics and excellelant gameplay which stands out even today. I remember when I first played Doom, and nearly fell out of my chair after a demon sneaked up on me from behind. CHOMP!!!! Even now I get nervous in Command Control, I hate that little maze....... lol

well, RTCW is a very fun game too, especially im multiplayer, so why doesnt any of us make levels for it? its not that hard, i just started making levels for it, and in like a week i was making half descent RTCW single player maps with some cool scripting.

Heh. When Halo 2 came out all my friends got it and they got pissed off when i nitpicked at the graphics.
I went up to a wall and went "LOOK! Those textures dont tile! And look. At that joint... the resolution of the texture drops for no reason! what the fuck?"

The got pissed and said "All you care about is graphics!"
"Guys, I play doom..."
They shut up after that :P

corrupt_marine said:

. . .RTCW is a very fun game too. . .

Well, yeah it is! I've played-through it a few times, usually as a break from whatever my current game is. An expansion would be great. But, in the end, I always come back to DOOM.

Mivalekan said:

People always ask me why I still play Doom. They always say they don't because "teh grafix sux lolz".

People look at me like I'm some kinda caveman and ask: "You mean that other people besides you actually still make maps for that and still play it?!? Are you sure that you're not making this up out of the blue?"

And it only gets worse from there, here's an even more annoying one: "You mean you can actually add OpenGL effects to it and play it online through the TCP/IP system just like Counter-Strike?!? How's that possible?!?"

And when I try to explain it to them, and tell them about all the source-ports and utils and shit, they just refuse to listen to me and think I'm a lunatic who wastes his time.

Well, I got a question for them to: "Where the hell have you been for the whole decade?"