Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"You mean you can actually add OpenGL effects to it and play it online through the TCP/IP system just like Counter-Strike?!? How's that possible?!?"

Heh, i remember a Doom Rampage Edition fanboy saying that doom rampage was "the greatest doom hacker" because he had made a door that opened sideways, when thats an easy (probably) effect in Zdoom, (this is also why all the doors, except one, open sideways in my parody) in fact they probably didnt even know about zdoom and thought that the improved resolution was "all his own work". then again if they where dumb enough to like DRE they probably didnt know how to change resolution.

The reason I love Doom is because it's the first game that got me hooked on First-Person Shooters. Also, it's the only game that I can build levels for easily. I've tried 3D mapping, but I can't get any good results. The 3D programs usually crash or can't find textures, anyway.
Another reason is because it had the best demo I have ever owned! A full episode! Awesome! :D

Doom is the grandaddy of all FPSs!

Needs more Action Doom.

But seriously, Doom was the first FPS I ever played, and I just got hooked to it, even if it scared the shit out of me when I first started it (It was '97, and I was 6).

Actually, Doom can still sometimes scare me. Rarely, though. Like when I forget to kill a monster and I go to hit a switch and there's an ugly Imp up in my grill.

Good times...

The part that used to scare me the most when I was younger was the strobe light room in E1M5. I always had to use the lite-amp goggles cheat! :D
I hardly ever cheat in games, now. Kinda takes away the fun. The only time I'll cheat is if I just want to mess around or if I'm testing a certain part of a level I made.

Yea, DOOM was my first FPS and maybe even my first game. Then i remember going into Duke Nukem 3D.

heh, good times.

I cant spell u said:

Becuase my computer is from walmart. Luxury for a the common man my ass.

Yet you know deep inside, you would still play doom even if you had a top-of-the-line computer. ;)

I think it's a combination of all of the previous suggestions. But to ME, the most prominent reason is:

The game simply stimulates our most primal instints. "THE THRILL OF THE HUNT, AND THE SHEER TERROR OF BEING HUNTED!!"

Tsar,

In some other thread, Chilvence said:

I know the feeling. It calls me. Its a free flowing ballet of calculated destruction. It is the rapturous dance from demon to demon, gracefully pummeling their exposed flesh with carefully orchestrated blasts of red hot buckshot. It is the hopless screams of the souls of the damned as they succumb to the mechanical song of the chainsaw. It is jilted, psychotic, yet serene, masterful. It is power, retribution, and defiance.

I'm so glad I archived that quote. Thanks, Chilvence!

Id play duke3d but no one plays it and its way to fucking bright, And its a bit cheesy , the explosions are like real life recorded explosions pasted into the game.

Holy crap i havent been here forever, neway...

Well, ima ganna contrast doom w/ 3 other games. Im not pounding on them these are just my opinions.

K, we all know Doom has THOUSANDS of mods out there, and this is all cause of the games age and people love blowing the shit out of things. I can't explain it, how the game plays and feels is real different.

AvP games-Alright, i like these games alot, but they are totally different from doom. I mean you pick as a marine, alien, or pred which uses it's own weapons, each withs it's own advants/disad. However, thats all there is in the game. No badass thing (except the queen, but i mean really).

Halo1&2-Very good games. However they are really overrated. I mean yeah it's fun as all hell, but the game is deffinetly not thrilling or as fast paced as doom. heck the enemies you fight aren't even scary.

Resident evil series-Well, i dont think i need to mention this one that much. Awesome games, but the controlling part of the game is much, much more different. More tighter gameplay.

There are more differences, but these are the ones that come to mind first. I can't explain it. Doom is just pure oldschool goodness.

You know why we love modding and mapping for doom??

People are impressed with what you do in doom mods if it even comes close to what is possible in modern games. I mean, doomers find 3d floors impressive! They find lens flares, and hi-res textures, and secondary fires, and reloads, and swimmable water amazing!

That's why we love doom! With doom you're always making something new, impressive and groundbreaking in its own way. And it's really easy to mod and map for.

Doom was all we had back in the day.
it was pretty much the first multi player game game out there that looked pretty damn good.
I played doom and doom2 for years until quake, quake2 ut etc started coming out and I went for the eye candy.
Doom will always be with me and I know plenty hardcore doom player such as a very good friend of mine BahdKo that still plays doom and she still talks shit about all the rest of the games :)
I love ya Laura :)

XoLeRaS

corrupt_marine said:

Why do we all play doom?

Well, why not?

Doom is a game that has yet to lose it's massive appeal to me, even though that appeal changes to something different over time. At first, I played doom because it just looked so awesome, and it was scary. Nowadays? I love how the graphics, though old, still look awesome (especially with detailed maps nowadays), and that, frankly, no matter how much I do it, killing hordes of inhuman monsters is still a hell of a lot of fun. Nowadays, it's the online component that keeps me hooked. I love playing coop, as well as deathmatch and CTF on Skulltag (yay skulltag). Let's not forget editing, too. I mean, we all love to play with legos. Doom editing is like... Lego for computer geeks.

Doom, I say is the best game ever. The game play is so awesome and fun that I say Halo needs to go adios. From what I heard earlier about people playing halo, I totally agree that people today only care about graphics. Graphics shmaphics! Gameplay is key to a great game and that's what Doom has, one heck of a great game play and I enjoy it. Doom is one hell of a fun fast action game and I hope to keep playing it as well as I hope all of you keep playing it.

-Alando1

Halo is a great game. But Halo 2 is another story... Every shooter owes something to doom. It really set the standard at which every other game would be judged. The word "Doomclone" was freaken coined from it I mean comon! I dont think UnrealClone, or Quakeclone would work.... Even newer games sometimes refer back to the greatest of DOOM saying their game is just as good if not better.... LIES!!!

Skul said:

Doom is the grandaddy of all FPSs!

I thought Wolfenstein3d was the grandaddy of all first person shooters, or am I wrong here.
That game was my first first person shooter I played, I still play this game once in a while.
Wolf3D was also made for the atari jaguar, too bad I sold my jaguar a while ago :(

It's the only game my computer can handle.

\_/ (Look at my innovative smiley)

Well I am 27 and have played games since DOS and the Atari 2600. No game has changed my life and how I enjoyed/experienced games like Doom. I played Doom till I beat the game and without cheats. I played it on the a 486 DX4 100 mmz machine and 32 megs of ram. Good old DOS days where you typed the command in to play the game. Then I went to Doom II and that was even better than Doom was. Doom II consumed my life till I beat every level, including the two secret levels, without cheat codes.

Why does Doom still appeal? The atmosphere and the sheer experience. Hell, I can still crank Doom up and use the OpenGL to make the graphics nicer and STILL get scared and startled since I can't and don't remember all the monsters. That is a quality game. Now with Doom 3 and Resurrection of Evil, it is even better. The graphics bring the game to the level that we can really believe in what we see on the screen but the scare factor and the atmosphere is still the same. I have been in college and just finished up and I am now finishing ROE. Doom just beats ANY other gaming experience. You come away from the game shaken and you feel like you yourself have been through a war. No game makes you feel this way, NONE. Halo is good, but can't compare. Half Life 2 was really good and pulled you in with a terrific story, but the game is still under the quality level of the Doom series.

After all this time and all the Doom rip offs *cough* Half Life *cough*, Doom and the entire Doom series is still held as one of if not the best game series ever. Long live Doom

*goes and waits for the new remake of Hell on Earth*

Why Doom, you ask? (I'm ignoring Doom II in this post)

1) Excellent graphics thanks to the well-drawn, colourful and varied textures, and digitised monsters. Few game developers back then took the time to fully digitise their sprites from real-life models. The monsters really benefitted from this approach and looked a lot more REAL than other games (e.g. Heretic).

2) The satisfying and well-balanced weapons. No other game has an armory that rivals Doom. Every weapon has a unique purpose, there is no useless weapon. The only weapon I found to be a little underwhelming was the Chaingun - it's sound effects sounded too weak for me (the shotgun sound that the Former Human Commando and the Spider Mastermind have sounds much more satisfying, but technically incorrect).

3) Brilliant sound effects for monsters, doors & items. Even if I went blind tomorrow I would still play Doom because it SOUNDS so good.

4) The music. Bobby Prince is a ledgend, even if it has been exposed that he pirated a lot of riffs and melodies from other rock artists (like Metallica). Maps like E1M8 just ooze atmosphere and evil because of his music.

4) The gameplay. The fact that it can accomodate 2 styles of play very well - the learner and the advanced (i.e. keyboard-only vs. keyboard+mouse). You start out trudging through the game world using ALT to strafe and the keys to turn. Finishing the game is a real mission. Then, after experiencing the more modern games like Quake III Arena and honing your movement skills - you return to Doom and have a blast running rings around Cyberdemons and completing the entire game with a shotgun.

5) The mods and ports. What other game do you know of that has had so many mods and ports made by the gamer community? This ensures Doom NEVER DIES. The players ensure Doom keeps up with the latest hardware by implementing hi-res support and advanced graphical effects. Even today Doom still benefits from high-end hardware thanks to the ports.

6) The presentation. This is something that the PC games of today rarely offer. Doom's menus and titlescreen look good. The statusbar looks great. All the stuff that's not directly engine-related did not escape id's quality eye. When playing the game you really feel that there was a hell of a lot of effort put into it - it just oozes quality all the time.

All these factors (and many more) make Doom for me - THE BEST GAME EVER.

Doom II did not live up to the original in my opinion. The levels weren't as well-designed, and there were WAY too many monsters which served to completely ruin the atmosphere with Serious Sam-style crazy battles. For me, the REAL Doom is a reasonable amount of hellspawn and great levels. Not a HUGE amount of enemies and shit levels.