Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom_user

Question about the SKY textures in PC Doom games

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with a brief description or picture of each of the sky backgrounds in each of the PC Doom games? [Ultimate Doom, Doom II, TNT Evilution, Plutonia Experiment]

Doom_user said:
[I apologize in advance if any of the questions I'm asking have already been answered. I've spent several hours reading Doom Builder's guide and various threads in this forum, however there were a few questions that I couldn't find answers to.]

Depending on the source port you are using it may be different. From what you are asking you seem to be in need of high customizability. For that ZDoom is still the best choice. It can do everything you are asking for.

Is there a way to edit the level and/or episode names?

The episode names are just graphics which can be replaced. Some source ports, however, allow to define new episodes in the WAD file.
The level names also appear as graphics but also in text form. Here it heavily depends on the source port what you can do. The most common solution is a DEHACKED patch to change them. That should work with the majority.

Is it possible to change which SKY texture is displayed in a level.

For this you need a source port which can do it. The problem: Each one is doing it differently so you have to say what you are mapping for.

Are there any websites that list how many different SKY textures there are and which SKY is used in what levels?

Doom1: 4 skies, one per episode
Doom2: 3 skies, Sky1 in Maps 1-11, Sky2 in maps 12-20 and Sky3 in maps 21-32.

Is there a way to edit the game so that there are more/less levels than the standard 36 in Ultimate Doom and 32 in Doom 2?

Again you need a source port that can do it. With the regular Doom(2).exe it can't be done.

Are there any sector tag 666 boss death trigger levels other than E1M8, E2M8, E3M8, E4M8, E4M6, any MAP07?

Regular Doom: no. This again requires a source port that can handle it.

Will sector tag 666 work if different bosses are used?[ex: CyberDemon in Episode 3 or Spider MasterMind in Episode 2]

No. (Unless you use a source port that can do it.)

Is there a way to use the music and/or the animated wall of fire SKY from PSX Doom in the PC Doom?

You'd have to import the resources in a form that Doom can handle. I can't say much about the resources themselves though.

Graf Zahl said:

Depending on the source port you are using it may be different. From what you are asking you seem to be in need of high customizability. For that ZDoom is still the best choice. It can do everything you are asking for.

The episode names are just graphics which can be replaced. Some source ports, however, allow to define new episodes in the WAD file.
The level names also appear as graphics but also in text form. Here it heavily depends on the source port what you can do. The most common solution is a DEHACKED patch to change them. That should work with the majority.

For this you need a source port which can do it. The problem: Each one is doing it differently so you have to say what you are mapping for.

Doom1: 4 skies, one per episode
Doom2: 3 skies, Sky1 in Maps 1-11, Sky2 in maps 12-20 and Sky3 in maps 21-32.

Again you need a source port that can do it. With the regular Doom(2).exe it can't be done.

Regular Doom: no. This again requires a source port that can handle it.

No. (Unless you use a source port that can do it.)

You'd have to import the resources in a form that Doom can handle. I can't say much about the resources themselves though.

Thanks, I researched the source ports and some other editing programs, so I think I'll be able to implement most of these features.