Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dudernater300

RTC-3057 No work. How do I get it to work?

I downloaded RTC-3057 and unzipped it into the ZDoom directory with the Doom2.wad file and it will not work. It just starts up Doom 2. This also happened with ArcadeDoom. Please tell me how to get mods to work with ZDoom.

You need to type "zdoom -file my.wad" (without the quote marks), where my.wad is whatever the wad is called, e.g. rtc3057.wad.

You can do this in the Start->Run box. You'll need to type in the directory before hand, for example "c:\doom2\zdoom -file my.wad".

Alternatively you can do it via the Command Prompt, typically accessed via Start->Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt. Once here, first navigate to the correct directory (e.g. "cd\doom2") and then do the "zdoom -file my.wad" stuff.

You can also drag the wad on top of the Zdoom application.

That's about all the ways you can do it.

Or associate the .wad extension with the port you prefer to run them with. A simple way to do this to click on a wad in Windows Explorer, and choose the program you want to open it with. By default, it will make this the default action for wad files, so from then on, you just need to click on the wad file in order to play it. This is surely the simplest way of all to launch wads.

You can also use this with Winzip to play wads from within a zip file.

You can also define multiple associations and then choose between them by right-clicking on the wad - this brings up a drop-down list. This is a lot more flexible but demands a little bit of know-how.

However, this still has less flexibility than the command-line approach, so you should familiarize yourself with that too - there are certain things that are difficult to do otherwise.

Or you can do what I do and make a shell extension to open it. That works well if you use multiple ports or have Doom and Doom II in different folders. I explained how to do this a long time ago. Although note I didn't use "-file" in my demonstration (since ZDoom doesn't need it) but for other ports you would.

edit: or I can just edit my post to reflect that.

sargebaldy said:

Although note I didn't use "-file" in my demonstration (since ZDoom doesn't need it) but for other ports you would.

This auto-identification feature was introduced in Boom 2.02, and is available in any ports based on that (or that have added it in). link to boom.txt

Bashe said:

You can also drag the wad on top of the Zdoom application.

Easiest & fastest way for one-time plays. Otherwise make a shortcut, right-click, go to properties, and in the command line write -file wad.wad

ETC. If there are any other special files like a dehacked lump:

-file wadXX.wad -deh dehXX.deh

Thanks, I was wondering if I could do that, because its annoying to select wads and drag them over the zdoom exe. Ok, I'll do that for this wad and any other wad.

Grazza said:

This auto-identification feature was introduced in Boom 2.02, and is available in any ports based on that (or that have added it in). link to boom.txt

ah, ok. I hadn't actually tried it with anything else, just wanted to be on the safe side.