Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PK4EVA

Who can NOT play D3/RoE?

Who can't/won't play the game, because it's too tense/frightening/scary/frustrating?

I can, but I'm waiting for the price to come down so I can buy 'em both.

PK4EVA said:

Who can't/won't play the game, because it's too frightening/scary/frustrating?[/B]o tense/f

Heh. IMO you'd have to be a real wussy to be afraid of this game. Doom 3 was never tense/scary or whatever you want it to be. Too many cheap scare tactics that totally failed on every occasion just ruined it, so what could have been a good game just went to waste.

I admit that I won't buy Doom III and RoE because I am scared.

Scared of what those beasts would do to my poor little computer. Them spec requirements are GHASTLY.

It's not scary, but it made me jump a lot. And that just got dull as hell.

Ninja_of_DooM said:

Heh. IMO you'd have to be a real wussy to be afraid of this game. Doom 3 was never tense/scary or whatever you want it to be. Too many cheap scare tactics that totally failed on every occasion just ruined it

That´s just your personal opinion, but if you are looking arround a bit you can clearly see that the majority of players found it genuinely scary.
Some parts like monster closets were maybe used a bit too often but it doesn´t ruin the game.

I never found anything real scary about the games.
But whenever my little cousin is over i play just to scare the shit out of him.

I can get him to cry sometimes.

DOOM Anomaly said:

Them spec requirements are GHASTLY.

Haha. :) Yeah, ghastly if it was 2000 or so.

Mogul said:

Haha. :) Yeah, ghastly if it was 2000 or so.

The intelligence level shown in the face of your icon probably matches the level of intelligence behind that comment. Not everyone has a bunch of money to pour into upgrading their computers so that they can play games.

Xenphire said:

Not everyone has a bunch of money to pour into upgrading their computers so that they can play games.

I played it on a Ti4200. Maybe I should be more scared because of this? :)

Seriously, it was scary in the beginning, but it kinda grew old pretty soon.

i never got scared, but it made me tense first time through. every time you see a new monster or something, it freaked me out and i would panick, ect. then be worried about where the next one would appear...

...after you realize the shotgun can take out anything in the game it gets old though.

I cant, I played it at a freinds and it was as good as the original so I bought it and the expansion for when I buy a new computer which will be in about, 2 year's . It sucks but its like quake 3, when it came out you needed a 3000$ comp but now integrated s3 graphics can run it, quake 3 I mean so in like 6 years anything could run doom3 but im gettin a good job in like 2 years so I can buy an alienware or something. I wish my walmart computer could run it.

Tetzlaff said:

That´s just your personal opinion, but if you are looking arround a bit you can clearly see that the majority of players found it genuinely scary.
Some parts like monster closets were maybe used a bit too often but it doesn´t ruin the game.

absolutely false, practically every game forum on the entire internet has a majority of people who hate doom3, they literally had to put "yes we know Doom3 Sucks please do not post that old topic" in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS part of 2 forums i know

The opinion he expressed is common, and CERTIANLY the majority of gamers Ive seen

maybe if you spend all your time on id-software related fan sistes liek this one you MIGHT get that impression, but even here (there) its not that obvious.

But the facts are that doom3 is repetitive, its a FACT, not opinion, that the same scripts and monsters and attacks are used throughout the game. Now, whether you agree the excact same techniques used lietarally hundreds of times is "scary" - let alone makes a "good game" - well, that is opnion, but it would be shocking if it was a majority.

LOL the majority of people hating Doom3? Who the hell bought that game then? You mean the majority of HL2 fanboys hate the game. And there are many HL2 fanboys.

I don´t say anything against parts of Doom3 being repetitive. Personally it didn´t break the game for me because many FPS games have those repetitive parts and still are great, but I can perfectly understand why people complain about it.

But even the people who love to talk negatively about Doom3 all the time normally agree that it is a scary game and has a dense athmosphere.

BTW, I´m not only spending my time on id Soft related forums, but also on Unreal series related forums and on general gaming forums. And besides this, the doomworld forums have been always very critical and unforgiving regarding Doom3.

Tetzlaff said:

LOL the majority of people hating Doom3? Who the hell bought that game then? You mean the majority of HL2 fanboys hate the game. And there are many HL2 fanboys.

I dont hate doom 3, i love it. And i love Half life 2 to ^_^

Yes, I also enjoyed Half-Life2 very much, just finished it recently. It had some very entertaining situations and I really liked the pacing of the events and story bits.
The one thing I really disliked about HL2 was the extreme linearity of the level design, basicly all long winded "tunnels" without side tracking or any alternative paths. And the City 17 setting also got really repetitive in the end, the same junked up ruins and sewer settings were repeated again and again.

Doom3 was also too linear for my taste but not nearly as bad as HL2. And I found combat more enjoyable in Doom3.

I can understand that some people think Doom3 is repetitive, but many games are even more repetitive (Painkiller for example) and don´t get bashed like that.

The one thing Doom 3 lacks is the same thing that makes Doom and Doom 2 so great: replayability. I played through the game, beat it, and enjoyed most of it. Then I tried playing through it again and got bored of it by around the fourth level.

i have that with a lot of games, even half life 2. There's just a few levels i like replying. Not all from the beginning.

Im just curious are the majority of RoE's levels inside some type of building, like D3's?

cave like maps, because you begin in a digside deep inside mars. So the first few maps are like that, i didnt play further yet though (i have to play san andreas to ^_^)

Tetzlaff said:

LOL the majority of people hating Doom3? Who the hell bought that game then?

You find out wether you like a game or not AFTER you buy it.

Both HL2 and Doom3 were linear to a ridiculous extent. They were very similar games in style and actual gameplay.

Back to the point, theres a general consensus that Doom3 is not scary in any real sense, wheras a game like System Shock 2 (which doom3 rips off, but only superficially) is generally understood to really inspire fear through methods that arent all cheap. You see it across all gaming forums.

Inferno said:

Im just curious are the majority of RoE's levels inside some type of building, like D3's?

pretty much, although you do get a bit more variety.

I didn't really find Doom 3 scary at all. The only game's that ever really got me scared are Silent Hill games

Wobbo said:

Back to the point, theres a general consensus that Doom3 is not scary in any real sense, wheras a game like System Shock 2 (which doom3 rips off, but only superficially) is generally understood to really inspire fear through methods that arent all cheap. You see it across all gaming forums.

Stop claiming that your opinion is general consensus. I could give you a dozen examples of non-fanboy discussion sites where the majority unsurprisingly thinks Doom3 is scary, but we wouldn´t get anywhere.

Your only real argument as I can see it is that the monster closets where overused in Doom3 and that because of that it wouldn´t be scary. As if the monster closets would be the only scare factor in the whole game...

And don´t start with System Shock 2... SS2 is one of the best first-person games ever and no other game in that style yet matched it. But this doesn´t makes Doom3 a crap game. I would give System Shock 2 a score of, let´s say, 93%, and Doom3 85% because it´s nevertheless a great game with excellent athmosphere and solid fun gameplay.

Also, how would Doom3 be a rip-off of System Shock 2? Just because it also used audio logs? Come on...

Wobbo said:

Both HL2 and Doom3 were linear to a ridiculous extent. They were very similar games in style and actual gameplay.

HL2 is much more linear then Doom3, it is so straightforward that it basicly lacks any exploration factor. Doom3 isn´t nearly that bad, but still too linear for my taste.
Linearity and restrictive game design is a bad trend in many newer FPS, but fortunately there also are some exceptions like Far Cry.

Tetzlaff said:

Also, how would Doom3 be a rip-off of System Shock 2? Just because it also used audio logs? Come on...

Doom 3's textures are often very SS2-ish as well, as is some of the level design.

Well, it´s the metallic futuristic base style that is in many games.

It would have been cool if the Doom3 level design actually would have been inspired by System Shock 2. The Von Braun is a large, sprawling environment that can be totally explored later in the game. Would have been great if there would be anything like that in Doom3.

Yes, but Doom 3 looks far more like SS2 than it does Quake 2, Jedi Academy, Elite Force 2, Halo, or indeed any other game with "metallic future bases" that I've ever played (which is quite a few ;)).