Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xenaero

The /newstuff Chronicles #237

Bloodshedder said:

And most ports nowadays don't let you play PWADs with the shareware version either.

Which is quite useless since almost all ports are released with source code.

Downloaded and beat Scythe II today. Damn I'm impressed. The levels flowed so well and texture alignment issues were minimal. Great Megawad.

Anders said:

... but most users are still incapable of recompiling so it works in most cases. :P

Haloless0320 said:

It wont let me Download Scythe 2 dammit.Grrrrr....

In general, try the "supported mirrors" first (though not France or Finland - I think they're no more), and possibly the HTTP ones if you tend to have problems with FTP. The Swedish site (SUNET) generally works well.

There's also the "new" German mirror, which isn't listed.

Anders said:

This comment is as wise as saying selling a game makes no sense because you can just warez it anyday. Any reputable publicly released engines bear the limitation. As far as personal usage goes, anyone could insert lumps in a copy of the shareware wad and play additional maps if they have the time and tools, without even touching the source. That has nothing to do with publicly releasing wads that work with the shareware, which is clearly something id and the game distributors ask users not to do, and the reason engines are released with the limitation.

"Hey John Doe's maps are available for download, he asks that we not use the maps and textures as a base without his permission... I'll do it anyway because what he says is useless! Yay!"

The only thing I didn't like about Scythe 2 was the lighting. It was too freaking dark!

myk said:

...which is clearly something id and the game distributors ask users not to do...

Which is totally irrelevant since it's not in the license.

Use3D said:

Where's the doomguy's face in those screenshots?

Is that a bug in the latest Zdoom? Whenever I use Zdoom at the moment I never get doomguy's face. Bit annoying really, as it's a helpful gauge of your health levels.

Anders said:
Which is totally irrelevant since it's not in the license.

False, and in my opinion, as foolish as your other comment. And even if it weren't in the current License for id's DOOM games, it's still clearly and (as they put it) respectfully stated in the documentation of the latest shareware releases, and has been an agreement between id and users, wad editors and utility authors for many years, starting shortly after they released the game, when they became aware editing would grow into a big thing.

Disrespecting another user's software (license) is lame enough, but disrespecting even the software that is the basis of all DOOM editing is, simply put, stupid.