Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dudernater300

Doom3D md2 models don't work.

I can't believe it. I mean I was looking for something like Doom3D for such a long time and the md2 models wont work. I did try DoomGL, but my good graphics card fucked up and kept fucking my computer in the ass and it kept making it freeze. So I had to use the old crappy one that I can't install the drivers for. Anyway, how do I get the md2 models to work? If someone could please tell me how to do get this problem to go away...um....no reward. Just my thanks. Anyway, please help!!!

dudernater300 said:

I can't believe it. I mean I was looking for something like Doom3D for such a long time and the md2 models wont work. I did try DoomGL, but my good graphics card fucked up and kept fucking my computer in the ass and it kept making it freeze. So I had to use the old crappy one that I can't install the drivers for. Anyway, how do I get the md2 models to work? If someone could please tell me how to do get this problem to go away...um....no reward. Just my thanks. Anyway, please help!!!

I shall say what I do, with the models.

I design and texture the models in wings 3d and save them ass .obj files.
Then I import the models in Milkshape 3d and convert them to md2.
But Milkshape do not implement the dir structure to the skin. So I use Mdl to convert the model, so it work with doomsday. You must place the model in the work directory and the skin in pcx format, later convert the skin in .png format if you like.

I do have it in the Doom3D directory and like.....I really still don't understand it. I read something in the md2.txt that said : "Don't forget to set the "useMD2" option to 1 in your doomrc.cfg file." And I havent found a doomrc config anywhere in the Doom3D directory. I even tried making my own and putting it in the Doom3D directory and that doesnt work. On the Doom3Dsetup thing I click the "Advanced" button for the advanced options and like nothing happens. I think the problem lies within that. And I have never heard of Milkshake or Wings3D.

In doomsday you must make a thing that referents to the model, in a .ded file so the program know that that thing is your model. you shall must do something like it.

I have never even tried to play doomsday to tell you the truth. I hear it's supposed to be good though. I would rather just stick with the Doom3D until I get a better graphics card. Does doomsday use opengl? Because if it doesn't then I'll give it a shot.

I think what's happening here is 2 different conversations. Sitters, I think he means he wants to use md2 model versions of the sprites while playing Doom. Dudenator, if this is something you're wanting to pursue, I suggest downloading the Doomsday engine, as well as browsing JFiles for the latest resource packs. Follow the instructions for setting those up and you should be in good shape. There are only a couple of engines whose latest versions support models. ZDoomGL's was removed after v.66, and I'm not sure if Vavoom can handle them or not. In any case, Doomsday seems to be the best for it.

Vavoom does support models, but currently the only ones that are available for it are rather primitive compared with some of those that work with jDoom/Doomsday.

Doom3D and DoomGL are both very early ports with hardware acceleration, and are therefore liable to be less stable than the current ones, especially with newer hardware. That possibly explains why you have been experiencing problems with them.

Doomsday offers both OpenGL and Direct3D support (in the Kickstart launcher, click on "Graphics" and then "Renderer" to choose between them). My understanding is that the former has received more attention though.