Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

Fastest STREET LEGAL car in the world?

Bah! Quick acceleration is not fast. It's just quick. Fast is a good top speed. Even better is a top speed where it is still possible to drive the car and put it round a bend. This is just a street legal drag car. Get it in a proper race with a real fast car, not that 1/4 mile crap, and watch it fall over at the first bend. :P

My friend owns a car that was built for racing. It can go to 60 in like 2 seconds, but it can't actualy go over about 65. Also, it has a button start instead of a key start, so he had to keep it locked all the time. Not like he wouldn;t hear anyone stealign it though. That thing is so loud it sets off car alarms when he drives past. :P

The fastest street legal car, by any standards, is the 1991 Chevy Camaro RS. This sweet baby puts out 180 blazing hp, backed by 452 foot-pounds of torque.. with a top speed of 130mph (governed), it's no wonder 19 year old girls from the sticks can't get enough of it's sexy styling, and 1991 hair metal glory.

Wow I spent 100,000s of thousounds of dollars building something even more impracticle then any supercar imaginable.

Seriously,When people say fastest,They better mean around a variety of racing tracks.Not in a straight line.Because I could just as easily make some sort of twin engined Ferrari V12 doodad and win on a drag strip.

..or drop a Chevy small-block 400 with nitrous into a Chevette for about 5,000 dollars.

i hate the street racing fad that is piopular here. god its annoying and stupid. what gets me is the fact they think it is a good idea to do 60Mph down all the streets on the plats here. the roads are not wide and children are everywhere here. so it is only a matter of time before someone kills someone. also it is very very annoying.

i called the police on one of my brother's friends. this guy just drives around, as if there is nothign to do. he was caught doing 57 on the street behind us.

the cars are cool and well made but i can't say the same for the moron in the driver's seat.

Sephiroth said:

the cars are cool and well made but i can't say the same for the moron in the driver's seat.

:)

Sephiroth said:

the roads are not wide and children are everywhere here. so it is only a matter of time before someone kills someone. also it is very very annoying.

If kids get in the fucking way run their asses down

You want to buy a Calibra?

No No No NO NO NO.

For a start they are all ancient now and most have covered mileages similar to that of Voyager I.

Secondly their arches and seals rust for a pastime and the interiors also wear out badly.

Thirdly the two litre 8 valve engine is about as sporty as a blanket. Ditto the 16v. The 2.5 V6 is admittedly better, but thirsty with it. The 4x4 turbo WILL RUIN YOU.

Fourthly most have been thrashed, especially the two litre models.

Fifthly they have a horrendous image problem - old Vauxhalls that pretend to be fast are seen at one location only - council estates.

Sixthly the handling - they ARE CAVALIERS UNDERNEATH.

Seventhly, they are not good in a crash.

Eighthly, they are nicked every five minutes.

OK I can't make it to ten but don't buy one. Save up and buy a newer car.

If you must buy an old Vauxhall, make it the Lotus Carlton. Now THAT was a performance ve-hicle from that era, plus the Carlton was a much better car anyway.

I wouldn't want a Calibra. That Calibra in question maybe. But I'd take an exoticar over it if I had the choice. Considering he did alot of the work himself he probably had a fairly reasonable build price.

The most expensive part was likely having the tube chassis fabbed up professionally. If you were to have a custom shop build such a beast for you, from the ground up, you probably could buy a nice exotcar for the same price. Not a million dollar super car, but a late 80's, early 90's Ferrari isn't so bad.

The Calibra you see in that article is a new car built from the ground up with very few original parts in it. I'd end all wet dreams of putting a big motor into one that you can buy out of the auto trade magazine. You'd need to fab mounting points for the big block, get an adapter plate to mate the chevy engine with the Vauxhall transmission. Most likely the Vauxhall transmission wouldn't be able to handle the motor, so you'd need to use a suitable Chevy transmission and a compatible transaxle.

After all said in done the chassis will probably snap like a twig on acceleration. Sorry to piss on your hopes and dreams.

I'm one to talk though, I've been wanting to shove a GM 3800 series II into the ass end of a Pontiac Fiero and twin turbo it.

POTGIESSER said:

I wouldn't want a Calibra.

What about a candelabra?

deathbringer said:

Calibras are not Capris, therefore they are irrelevant.

I have a 1973 Capri. :)

Heh, i remember seeings pics of it, the magazine Practical Performance Car issue 1 had a bit about how to fit the Ford small block V8 into the mk1 Capri, i might try it with a mk3 one day, but for now i'm after a standard, basic one, like a 1.6 laser. Just so long as its in pretty good condition but under £500...stranger things have happened!

deathbringer said:

a 1.6 laser

A nothing fancy little car, so cheap to ensure and run and easy to get spares for etc. However, it's still a very nice looking little model from towards the end of the Capri's run with enough going for it to still make it an attractive and fun car to own.

Steve, while your photoshop skills are impeckable, the neon threw it off a bit...

fodders said:

Ahh memories, modders brother had one of these when we were courting

I think that cars line were inspired by the Stuka.

Sephiroth said:

i hate the street racing fad that is piopular here. god its annoying and stupid. what gets me is the fact they think it is a good idea to do 60Mph down all the streets on the plats here. the roads are not wide and children are everywhere here. so it is only a matter of time before someone kills someone. also it is very very annoying.

i called the police on one of my brother's friends. this guy just drives around, as if there is nothign to do. he was caught doing 57 on the street behind us.

Just be thankful that it wasn't 90 or 100

fodders said:

Ahh memories, modders brother had one of these when we were

Aha, a Messerschmit "bubble car". A guy who lived near me in the early 70's had one. They were cool. A guy who worked with my dad also had one. He lost control of it in London and went down a flight of steps into a tube station. A whole bunch of guys picked up the car C/W driver and carried them up again.

A friend of mine had a relation that had the slightly less cool Isetta. They had a front door. He crashed into a lamp post and got stuck.

Remember the Bond Bug? They were maybe the coolest of the "bubble cars" but perhaps they were a bit big to be classed along with them.