Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
BFG'd

Need WAD Help

I'm new to the whole WAD thing, and I need a little help. (Be gentle!)

I'm trying to run one of the custom WADS under ZDoom, (Scythe 2 to be specific) and it does not show it in the "select WAD" window. What do I do?

Also, I tried running it in plain DOOM95 with DOOM2 as the main WAD, and I just got a tiny yellow square in the upper-right hand corner of an other-wise all black screen after hearing a former human roar sound.

The select wad window only applies to iwads: the wads that hold the important game data, like textures, level structure, etc.

In order to load pwads into zdoom simply drag the wad over to zdoom, and select your iwad, probably doom2.wad.

or go down in start menu and use the "run" command: (eg: if your zdoom folder is plain c:\zdoom) c:\zdoom\zdoom -file scythe2.wad

Thanks, I got that figured out now, just one more question: How do I get demos to run in ZDoom? (Both the ones the come with the WAD and ones that are recorded/downloaded.)

Demo support is very flaky in ZDoom - from my knowledge, it'll only run demos that have been recorded with that specific version of ZDoom. If you're interested in watching stuff from the Speed Demos Archive (or the Demos forum here), you might want to grab a copy of PRBoom instead.

BFG'd said:

Thanks, I got that figured out now, just one more question: How do I get demos to run in ZDoom? (Both the ones the come with the WAD and ones that are recorded/downloaded.)

You don't: .lmps don't work in ZDoom. To play a demo in ZDoom you have to record it in ZDoom.

Zdoom will not play demos that were recorded with the original games. For that, you'll need the original DOS exes, Prboom or Eternity.

Zdoom can be used to play back demos recorded with Zdoom, but normally you'll need to use the same version of the program that they were recorded with.

The command line element needed to play back demos is -playdemo. Examples:
c:\zdoom\zdoom -file scythe2.wad -playdemo s2zdoom
(This will play a Zdoom demo recorded on Scythe2 called s2zdoom.lmp)

c:\doom2\prboom -file scythe2.wad -playdemo s210-303
(This will play a demo recorded on Scythe2 in one of the formats supported by Prboom that is called s210-303.lmp)

Edit: You can also drag and drop (you'll need to drag and drop both the pwad and the lmp onto the exe). This doesn't work with all ports (but does with Zdoom and Prboom, at least).

I guess that answers my question. This can now be safely closed/sent to hell without me attempting to rip someone's arms off.