Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
godfist

Need help mass converting pcx screenshots

I've got an old computer from '96 and have a pretty good program that can read most image files called MGI photosuite, but it can't read pcx files. Which is sorta weird 'cause from my experience pcx files and bmp files are similiar in size and probably format and Windows paintbrush can read pcx files but this sophisticated program can't?!

Anyway its very laborious for me to convert 1 pcx file into bmp format and then load it into mgi photosuit and THEN resize the file into 800x600 resolution (because I use the shots as my desktop picture :). Is there a shareware/freeware program out there to do mass conversions of pcx files into say jpeg that will also convert them to the resolution that you want? I bet I'm not the only one who's had this problem.

Paint Shop Pro and I think Graphics Workshop both offer the option to batch convert a number of files from one format to another and they both read PCX files too. If either of those are a bit too heavy for your old '96 machine, look around, there are older programs that can also do this.

IrfanView can open PCXs and then you can save them as something else. IfranView is not very big either, so go ahead.

ImageMagick is your friend (coupled with a good shell script language).

Bashe said:

IrfanView can open PCXs and then you can save them as something else. IfranView is not very big either, so go ahead.

I'll second this recommendation. IrfanView is the ultimate lightweight image program, and I just happen to use it all the time (even preferring it over PSP9's scripting system).

Assumption 1: you are converting DOOM pcx images
Assumption 2: you intend to make a movie.

most advanced ports can save the screencaptures as something other than pcx... like targa or jpeg.
also, there are built-in screenshot/avi creators in some ports.
just a thought, in case that applies.