Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chungy

Doom for Nintendo DS?

Recommended Posts

I got a chance to play a Nintendo DS at a store (as a demo unit :p)... it was playing some incarnation of Metroid, can't remember the full name now.

I was thinking that Doom would be perfect on it. Has anyone even tried to do this before?

A whole new control system would probably have to be invented. But like the Metroid game, you can have the map on the bottom screen that also functions to move you around, and the normal rendering of the game on top.

That's the only time I'm going to buy a DS, if it has Doom! :D

Share this post


Link to post

I think Doom on the DS would be pretty bad IMO. There was not one good control scheme in the Metroid game for the DS, so unless Doom found some awesome control scheme, it probably wouldn't be any good.

Share this post


Link to post

Aside from the PSX version every console Doom has had issues that make it not worth it, I'd imagine that, although the PSP version sounds promising, the DS version would suffer from many of the same problems other console ports did.

Share this post


Link to post

Even the PSX had issues, what with having to ditch the arch-vile enemy.

I say the N64 was the best Doom to be on a console, but I guess that's not the kind of Doom we're discussing?

Share this post


Link to post
HobbsTiger1 said:

Aside from the PSX version every console Doom has had issues that make it not worth it, I'd imagine that, although the PSP version sounds promising, the DS version would suffer from many of the same problems other console ports did.


I dunno, Doom64 is pretty much flawless in every way, although I guess that doesn't count since it's a completely new game rather than just a port. But still, it's probably the only console doom game I've seen that runs at a solid frame rate the majority of the time. I don't know about PSX Doom because I haven't played it.

Share this post


Link to post

i've always wanted portable DooM. Freakin' Sweet! Better than Family Guy freakin' sweet collection! (shyeah right)

Share this post


Link to post

N64 Doom is it's own game, not a port of the origional with slightly different levels and slightly different features. I was thinking along the lines of SNES Doom (ugh)or GBA Doom (big ugh)

Share this post


Link to post
Inferno said:

Lol i can just see it, using that pen thing to fire at stuff, Poke poke poke!!


Does anyone here know you can re-configure the controls for Metroid Prime Hunters? You can set it to work similar to Halo you know. I would assume something similar would be in place for any Doom game on the Nintendo DS.

Share this post


Link to post
Inferno said:

Lol i can just see it, using that pen thing to fire at stuff, Poke poke poke!!


That's actually one of the Metroid Prime: Hunters configurations....

Share this post


Link to post

It would be neat but= to make a DS version of Doom id or another team would have program new features for the touch pad. And we all know id would never bother. But they did make that RPG so I don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Ayu said:

Great. Someone with no programming skills decides to make a DS port of Doom. Because there's nothing else he can do, he comes up with a bunch of models and textures instead. And people are sending him money as well. What the fuck?

Share this post


Link to post



That's actually one of the Metroid Prime: Hunters configurations....


I know that. I was simply stating that you didnt have to use the touch pad as a control; you can change the controls to use only the buttons, no touch pad needed.

Share this post


Link to post

GBA Doom wasn't "ugh". It was a Doom port to GBA, better than the SNES port, and was exactly what I expected from it. GB isn't exactly (though some of it's worst games try, horribly, to push it) a console in it's own right, it's something to do when you're away from one and have nothing better to do. Playing GBA Doom during my studyhalls was amazing, especially the teachers that let me have the sound up - people who didn't play video games (read: most people in my studyhalls) just looked at me like "WTF?". Ahh, highschool, how I miss you already...
Not terribly great, but I've never played a commercial port that was truly even close to whatever it originally came out on.
A perfect example of hand-held FPS "ugh" was Duke3D on GAME.COM. Actually, come to think of it, everything for GAME.COM was terribly done shitty "ugh" ports, just Duke3D was the worst. LOL, memories.
Which reminds me. Amiga always pwned the shit out of the PC.
As for DoomDS, it looks like shit so far, and probably won't go anywhere. Now, Skulltag DS, with a whole new Skulltag-oriented megawad, would be incredible - especially with the DS's multiplayer compatibility. Then again, I hated Doom 3 and still pretty much hate everything that is based on, influenced, or taken from it.

Share this post


Link to post

^Doom3 hates you to.
An awesome game or port for the ds would be duke3d I think. I mean it would be so awesome if it had multiplayer. Portable dukematch would be pwnage.

Share this post


Link to post

Good, I hope it does.

Gibaholic said:

Portable dukematch would be pwnage.

That's something I can't argue at all. That was so much fun.

Share this post


Link to post

Heh dukeds, the bottom screen can be used when you're looking at a camera and itll display the 2 camera's, one for each screen.

Share this post


Link to post
HobbsTiger1 said:

I'd imagine that, although the PSP version sounds promising, the DS version would suffer from many of the same problems other console ports did.


If anything the other way around would be the problem: The DS's touch screen is almost ideal for looking due to it's mouse like nature.

Share this post


Link to post

I would prefer a DS port to, just because i played Metroid and it has a very nice control, for a console 3d-shooter.

And who ever said Duck Nüküm.... GO TO HELL!!! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Gibaholic said:

Doom on a gp2x would be better anyway.


Seeing as the gp2x runs Linux, Doom is already available for it...

Share this post


Link to post

Hey, id was able to make a Doom game for the GBA that played smoothly IMO. So why not try one for the DS? All our favorite enemies could be there AND totally 3d, AND be acompanied by a host of new badass monsters. The stylus can open up many windows as well. When using fists, the player could use the stylus to block, punch, and break stuff. Rather then having to search all over for a single fucking key, the player could use the sylus to pick locks. Certain traps could require the player to solve a puzzle sequence with the stylus to escape, and certain weapons could require the player to perform a patern with the stylus to solve. The best part would be the wireless feature. The players can hook up with other Doomers any time they want.

Share this post


Link to post
fraggle said:

Great. Someone with no programming skills decides to make a DS port of Doom. Because there's nothing else he can do, he comes up with a bunch of models and textures instead. And people are sending him money as well. What the fuck?


fuck, why didnt i think about this with doomkart

Craigs said:

Hey, id was able to make a Doom game for the GBA that played smoothly IMO. So why not try one for the DS? All our favorite enemies could be there AND totally 3d, AND be acompanied by a host of new badass monsters. The stylus can open up many windows as well. When using fists, the player could use the stylus to block, punch, and break stuff. Rather then having to search all over for a single fucking key, the player could use the sylus to pick locks. Certain traps could require the player to solve a puzzle sequence with the stylus to escape, and certain weapons could require the player to perform a patern with the stylus to solve. The best part would be the wireless feature. The players can hook up with other Doomers any time they want.


Rainbow 6 with doom monsters?

Share this post


Link to post
Ralphis said:

fuck, why didnt i think about this with doomkart



Rainbow 6 with doom monsters?


Just an example. Why not take advantage of the DS's cool features?

Share this post


Link to post

I'd say the best thing the DS could offer for doom is better weapon switching. The most aggravating thing about console ports for me was having to cycle weapons. Now you can simply have a display of current weapons on the touchscreen. Tap one and you'd switch to that.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×