Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CodeImp

User experience optimization

I dont know how to call it :P heh. Doom Builder has a lot of options and often new features and improvements come with new options. Because I dont want Doom Builder to be bloated of useless options, I want to remove options that everyone (or most) people use the same way. This optimizes Doom Builder for a better experience and makes it more user friendly.

To accomplish this, I need everyones Doom Builder configuration file in which your settings are stored. Please submit your Doom Builder configuration file! You can find the Doom Builder configuration in your Doom Builder program directory (the directory/folder where you installed Doom Builder) and the file is always called builder.cfg, either with or without capital B.

Please do not post them in this forum and do not email them to me. Use this form only.

Not many people read doomworld I suppose :P Only 43 configurations so far. Please everyone, submit your configuration!

Done

And just as a side note, I am noticing 1.67 is exponentially more crash prone than 1.66. I've never really had a catastrophic crash in 1.66 and prior, but I've lost work at least three times on maps due to crashing in 1.67. :(

This could just be a crappy preconception I have but what if there are a whole bunch of features that people dont use because they dont understand them or something.... or because they dont know they are there? Just a wonder.... but this is still a cool thing that your doing for your DB program Codeimp.

Macro11_1 said:

This could just be a crappy preconception I have but what if there are a whole bunch of features that people dont use because they dont understand them or something.... or because they dont know they are there? Just a wonder.... but this is still a cool thing that your doing for your DB program Codeimp.

Yes on point 1 and 2.

Mine will say '0% usage of prefabs', for one, but I will use them in the future.

And hey...I see you can set autostich distance there on your list. I did not know. How do I do this?

F5 -> Stitch Vertices Range.
Ofcourse its possible you dont know that a setting exists, but you're not alone :) If a setting is usefull, im sure some of the other people will have set it to something different. And dont panic too much, im not removing any features, just settings and im only looking at some specific settings, most settings will definitely stay.

The Defaults tab in the configuration is another story though. Im planning to remove that entirely. The editor already picks textures/flats of adjacent sectors when you draw, these settings are hardly usefull.

AlexMax said:

I am noticing 1.67 is exponentially more crash prone than 1.66.

I hear ya, I'm having the same exact problems. I'll be working on my map, go to draw a sector and out of nowhere the editor just randomly closes on me, causing me to lose sometimes hour's of work. Also a weird bug I learned that's been buggy ever since 1.64 is the copy and past feature. I used to be able to copy and paste things pressed up against walls, now I have to draw them indivudally so that I dont have to removed the double sided line and backside. It's such a pain in the ass I swear.

Bloodskull said:

I hear ya, I'm having the same exact problems. I'll be working on my map, go to draw a sector and out of nowhere the editor just randomly closes on me, causing me to lose sometimes hour's of work. Also a weird bug I learned that's been buggy ever since 1.64 is the copy and past feature. I used to be able to copy and paste things pressed up against walls, now I have to draw them indivudally so that I dont have to removed the double sided line and backside. It's such a pain in the ass I swear.

Rule 1
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SAVE OFTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure I understand where this thread is going.

As long as no functionality is lost; and, as long as I can retain the functionality I still have...

Is this just a "customize your experience" thread, or are you seriously considering removing many features that many use but might not think to post or look here?

i keep forgetting to post mine but i can give you an idea:

the only settings i've changed are the stitch/select radii but would still like a way of splitting a line (like wadauthor, discussed in another thread) and some way of setting stitch to only work when i physically put a vertex on top of another (thus forcing me to create every vertex manually, obviously personal preference)

(also in another thread) i'd like it if different configs could have different testing strings. as i'm using a custom game config for my megawad to include my thing/monster changes and it also requires a resource wad to be loaded, this breaks when i switch to basic DOOM II mode (e.g. when i was working on my 1024 map and my megawad interchangably!)

BTW one thing that's annoying is having to remap all my keys every time i update doombuilder e.g. esc to quit 3d mode, c and v to copy/paste textures etc.

I took a look a few weeks ago on Doom Builder and went 'Wow!
The 3d editing interface helps a ton. This is a great tool.
Though it would be cool if some prefabs could be included.

To correct some confusion here: This is about options, not about features. Doom Builder will keep all its features, but some useless options will be removed from the Configuration dialog.

Thank you all for your contribution. This will help me decide which options are useless and which options I certainly must keep.

are you gonna have the usual options in the gui but keep a bunch of uber options in the config file?