Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ichor

A few things

1. Suppose you delete a line splitting two sectors. Right now, you would end up with two incomplete sectors. Would it be possible to combine them into one complete sector?

2. Right now, if I were to draw a sector as an extension of another sector, it doesn't actually create the new sector. In other words, say you have a square room, and then you want to make a door or switch or something on one side of the room. If you start on the line and draw the sector on the outside, it would not really make the new sector, and that line that connects the two is still a solid one sided line. Is there any way to fix this?

3. How do you split linedefs?

1 - /me makes jedi move with his hand... You dont want that.
No, if you want to join 2 sectors together, just use the Join or Merge features, thats what its for. When you delete a line, you intend to delete a line, nothing other that that.

2 - Huh?! It does make a new sector for me.

3 - Insert or drag a vertex on it.

2. Maybe Ichor is just drawing three sides of the sector, with the fourth side already in the first sector. You have to draw all four sides to get a sector.

That's what I use now, but it can get a bit annoying at times when you're dragging a vertex around hoping that it will attach itself to a line. It would be easier to split it (add a vertex at its midpoint), or be able to add a vertex at a certain point on a line.

Ok, the curve line worked, but is there any way to save those settings?

You could edit the source code and then compile it to get a setting save for it or just change the settings to your settings and then compile it..

In other words, no (I don't want to mess with the source code right now). So I have a couple of feature requests instead:

1. Have an option for automatic sector merging when a line between them is deleted.
2. Split linedef function (Shift+S maybe?).

Ichor said:

1. Have an option for automatic sector merging when a line between them is deleted.

Select both sectors and and press Shift+J, this merges the sectors and deletes all lines that they share.

2. Split linedef function (Shift+S maybe?).

Press v to go into vertex mode, move the mouse cursor to where you want the line to be split and press the right mouse button. A vertex will be inserted at that point.

That's already been discussed here. I just suggested those features to make it a bit easier and quicker.

A split linedef function wouldn't make anything any quicker. Even if you could select a linedef then use a split function on it, you'd still have to mouse to the vertex and drag it (except in cases where you just wanted to add a new vertex to the midpoint of the line and nothing else, but I can't imagine that would be often).

1. select line -> press shift+s-> mouse to vertex position -> select vertex -> drag vertex

2. mouse to intended vertex position -> insert vertex -> drag vertex

I don't see how the first would really be any faster than the second, unless you want to add vertices but not do anything with them.

When I add a vertex, it's just a vertex by itself. I would have to drag it to the line that I want before I can drag the lines along with it. It works fine for lines along the grid, but for the ones at an odd angle (like in caves, etc.), it can take a few tries to get the line to connect with the vertex. With split linedef, the vertex is already connected to the line, and you can then drag it and the lines to wherever you want. I guess this way seems quicker to me because I'm so used to it.

i prefer to have auto stitch/split distance set to 0 (or is it 1?) so that i can move detailed sector work around without worrying that it might all magically cock itself up. matters get more difficult when one is not working to the grid! (i.e. not at right angles to everything else)

being able to highlight a line (as opposed to selecting a line) and have a key combo split it at it's midpoint (regardless of grid, to nearest unit will do) would be great. esp if i could assign it to, say, the middle mouse button.