Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bucket

Map crashes instantly

I've been using Doombuilder so far with no problems. However, my latest map refuses to run in Vanilla Doom. Works fine in ZDoom, but I'd rather it worked in both.

I've been running this map through Vanilla for every 5 or so sectors I make, and it's been fine. It wasn't to the point where my architecture was finally finished that it doesn't run. More specifically: it loads the map up just fine until I attempt to move the player. Then it just plain dumps everything-- no error message. I began to think my map had too many sidedefs in view, but I've seen more complex maps running. Maybe I made a funky sector; haven't found anything yet.
I'm using:

Doombuilder 1.64
Zennode (with sidedef compression)
No reject
Strictly Doom2.wad
WinXP Pro

First of all, get Doom Builder 1.67. Then run the error checker to see if you have an errors/warnings in your map. Sourceports may have solutions for certain map "errors" where the original doom may crash.

Also, you must use at least a zero-filled reject map. I think only ZDoom allows an empty/no reject map.

hmm... so it is possible to run doom2.exe in winxp. How does one do this?

nope... You'll need to go to DOS.

Wrong. doom2.exe runs fine in XP for me. Unless you meant use the Command Prompt (or command.com) Same with doom.exe heretic.exe and hexen.exe

Eternity will automatically generate a zero-filled reject if the lump is zero-length. The behavior in the original engine is undefined. They never checked for this condition, and Z_Malloc would return a 32-byte allocation when one of size zero was requested, so the pointer isn't NULL. Basically, the reject behavior will be arbitrary. It could also crash if the reject is at the edge of zone memory, although that seems highly unlikely to me.

Doom2.exe's incompatibility is caused by sound mixing issues, so if you go into Setup and disable it, it has no problem running. It's pretty convenient when the game starts up as fast as 3D mode.

At any rate-- turns out my map was too complex. Or rather, cutting down on vertices worked. Whether or not this is the real issue isn't clear yet, but I'll keep this stuff in mind if problems continue. Thanks.

Unless you meant use the Command Prompt (or command.com) Same with doom.exe heretic.exe and hexen.exe

that's what I meant.