Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
godfist

Hall of mirrors glitch I've seen in some demos

There's an odd (but hella cool :) glitch I've seen on some demos. The glitch always appears when I use Doom 2 v1.9 to play them back (a.k.a If you watch the SAME DEMO in prboom 2.2.x or some other source port the glitch may not appear, so DO NOT reply and tell me that I hallucinated the glitch 'cause you did the same thing I did and didn't see it!!!).

There are at least 2 or 3 demos that I've seen this glitch on, but there's only one demo that immediately comes to mind.

Xit Vono and some other dude from COMPET-N did a cooperative tyson demo of Ultimate Doom E4M1. The glitch occurs JUST BEFORE one of them hits the exit switch and the demo ends. I don't remember on which player's screen the glitch occurs, but I'm pretty sure it's the player who does NOT hit the exit switch. That player is inside one of the rooms that requires a skull key (blue/red, I don't remember). The player is just standing there and the floor starts doing that hall of mirrors glitch thingy. NOTE:The E4M1 tyson cooperative demo is 70+ minutes long, so if you don't have the patience to watch the entire demo, don't complain that you've never seen the glitch. Hardcore demo watchers only :^)

Actually it's been awhile since I've watched that demo, so tonight I'll go back and watch it to make sure I'm right about this glitch.

If anyone knows what glitch I'm talking about, feel free to explain it in more detail if you know, or alternatively, give a link to a demo (or demos!) that you've seen this glitch in, as I think it's a hella cool glitch.

Also if this glitch occurs when playing back the demo(s) in prboom 2.2.x let me know.

Thank you.

P.S. Correction at very beginning of my post. The glitch occurs when I've used the Ultimate Doom v1.9 exe and also the final doom version of the doom2.exe on either TNT or plutonia (don't remember which). The glitch may occur using the doom2.exe or other exe's, but I can't confirm this as I've never seen it using those exe's.

The HOM effect isn't really a demo issue at all (it may be observed in some demos, certainly, but also when playing the game normally), so moved to Doom General.

Xit Vono and Vincent CatalaĆ”'s E4M1 coop Tyson was only 12:04. Xit's SP is 50:56, so I'm not sure where "70+ minutes" comes from.

There's lots of information available about HOM. For instance:
http://rome.ro/lee_killough/editing/qna.shtml
http://doom.wikicities.com/wiki/Hall_of_Mirrors_effect