Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
godfist

Having trouble with an AV27 demo desynching

I downloaded the Alien Vendetta Level 27 Max Run done by Vile (pretty sure it's him) from Opulent's SDA archive. I wasn't surprised that the demo desynchs using PrBoom as the alien vedetta wad was made to be run with it's own special doom2.exe called av.exe. But then I tried running the demo with av.exe and the demo STILL desynchs! What gives?

The demo you're referring to was made for the original AV demo pack (which was recorded on the old release of AV). Some of these demos desync on the new COMPET-N release of AV. By using the avold.wad that's available from the site I linked to, you can watch demos recorded on the old versions of the maps that were changed for the new release.

EDIT: And BTW, VERY few demos recorded in doom2.exe go out of sync in modern versions of PrBoom.

Thanks for the link, however when I try to load level 27, using prboom or av.exe, I always get this error GetNumforName flat12 not found (or some gibberish like that :). Is that the finished version of the old wad or some unfinished version that is giving me this error? Thanks.

I believe avold.wad contains ONLY the old versions of the maps that were changed in the new AV, therefore you need to load BOTH av.wad (which contains the new flats and textures) and avold.wad, like so ->

prboom -file av.wad avold.wad -playdemo [the demo]

Hope this helps.

Kristian has given you all the information you need, but I'll just add a few comments:

• You can still get the original version of Alien Vendetta as a single wad here (3ddownloads uses javascript, cookies and a queue system).
  • Note that if you use the new av.wad with avold.wad, then the order on the command line has to be right (i.e. av.wad before avold.wad, as given by Kristian). If you use drag and drop, it may not load them in the right order.
  • av.exe differs only from doom2.exe in that it has had a deh patch applied that changes the text (map names in the automap and "story" text) - it does not alter the behaviour in any way, so it has no impact with respect to desyncs. To achieve the same changes in game text using a port, you can load av.deh. However, this means that it will display the wrong names for maps 24 and 25 if you are using the old version of the wad (a minor point, but then the text is quite a minor point in any case).