Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Trilinear

Original Doom Box Art

Hey guys,

Been away for a while, but the alure of Doom has brought me crawling back!

I'm interested to know how many of you have a copy of the original Doom mail-order from id Software back when it was first released. And if any of you generous souls would be willing to provide me with a high-resolution scan of it's cover.

Getting a copy of this image has been a little personal mission of mine since I lost my own copy of the box years ago in an accident. The art was painted by Don Ivan Punchatz.

I'm aware that there's a copy of the Ultimate Doom poster here on Doomworld, but astute Doomers will note that it's artwork has been slightly modified from the original (cropped from it's original size, and the DOOM logo moved down).

My eternal gratefulness and gratitude to anyone who could provide me with this piece of gaming history! I'm willing to do (almost) anything to get it :)

Well, I have the mail-order box, but my scanner is refusing to cooperate ATM. My box suffered a little in the mail too, so perhaps there are better examples. I'm sure I've seen a hi-res scan of it on the internet somewhere before.

Enjay said:

Well, I have the mail-order box, but my scanner is refusing to cooperate ATM. My box suffered a little in the mail too, so perhaps there are better examples. I'm sure I've seen a hi-res scan of it on the internet somewhere before.

You could try using a separate graphics program (like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro) to interact with the scanner's TWAIN driver using the Aquire Image feature, rather than using it's builtin software. I usually find this more method more reliable than just using my scanner's default tools.

Any images are welcome, even if they're a bit tattered (am willing to do a bit of touching up).

Trilinear said:

You could try using a separate graphics program (like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro) to interact with the scanner's TWAIN driver using the Aquire Image feature...

When I say my scanner is not cooperating, I mean it's making some funny noises and the light isn't moving. Hardware rather than software. :( (I normally do what you suggested.)

Enjay said:

When I say my scanner is not cooperating, I mean it's making some funny noises and the light isn't moving. Hardware rather than software. :( (I normally do what you suggested.)

Ahh I see. This may sound obvious, but have you checked the LOCK switch on the underside of the scanner? They can sometimes be bumped inadvertently.

Trilinear said:

have you checked the LOCK switch on the underside of the scanner?

I hadn't tried that. I have now. It was fine. The problem persists. Time to shell out cash methinks. :(

Trilinear said:

... provide me with a high-resolution scan of it's cover.

Getting a copy of this image has been a little personal mission of mine since I lost my own copy of the box years ago in an accident. The art was painted by Don Ivan Punchatz.

Check this out:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/doom/cover-art

Greetings
Funduke