Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mivalekan

Thing_Spawn

Ok, I just don't understand this script. I've read over all the tutorials and whatnot I could find, and look through the scripts of several maps, but STILL don't understand how this script works.

I know that I need the Mapspot thing where the thing will spawn, but the script has me baffled.

Here's an example of what I mean from one of AgentSpork's maps:

Thing_SpawnFacing(14,T_IMP,0,101);

T_IMP is obviously the thing ID I need, but why the 14? Sector Tag? What? I don't see any link whatsoever to the script and the mapspot, yet things stlil spawn.

It works like this:

Thing_SpawnFacing(A, B, C, D);

A is the mapspot where the thing appears. If you look around enough, you'll find the mapspot with a tag of 14. That's where the thing will appear.
B is the number or name of the thing that will appear.
C is either 0 or 1, and that determines whether it uses the green spawn effect or just appear silently.
D will be the tid number of the thing that just spawned.

Ichor said:

A is the mapspot where the thing appears. If you look around enough, you'll find the mapspot with a tag of 14. That's where the thing will appear.

Uhh... what?

Mivalekan said:

I have it set to Doom (Doom in Hexen format), considering this one of the only formats I can script in.

That's the same. Somewhere in the things properties dialog you should find a field called 'tid', 'tag' or something similar. There you must enter the value.

Is there a way to set it to spawn monsters as I enter a sector?

This is how my current script is set up:

script 2 (VOID)
{
//Monster Spawn - Red Key
ACS_Execute (2, 0);
Thing_SpawnFacing (1, T_HELLKNIGHT, 1, 102);
}

It doesn't work yet, because evidentally I'm missing something. ;/

Mivalekan said:

Is there a way to set it to spawn monsters as I enter a sector?

This is how my current script is set up:

script 2 (VOID)
{
ACS_Execute (2, 0);
}

It doesn't work yet, because evidentally I'm missing something. ;/

First, starting script 2 from script 2 is redundant and won't do anything. Second, if it doesn't work it doesn't need to be the script's fault. Are you sure you set the linedef correctly so that the script gets started? Or did you assign this to a thing? The least I need to know is how you intend to start it before I can help you.

This is what I want to happen:

The player enters some sector which contains some item, which sets off the script that spawns 4 monsters which surround the player. (Cliche script, but oh well. :D )

You'll need 4 map spot things with a tid of 1 according to the below example. The monsters will teleport to those map spots. I don't think they have to be map spots though, any thing with a tid of 1 will have monsters spawn on them.

Mivalekan said:

script 2 (VOID)
{
ACS_Execute (2, 0);
}

Mivalekan said:

This is what I want to happen:

The player enters some sector which contains some item, which sets off the script that spawns 4 monsters which surround the player. (Cliche script, but oh well. :D )

In that case it is best to assign the action to the item itself. Just set its special to start script 2 and as long as the map spots with the correct tid are there it should work.