• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bank

Why Banner Ads Should be Banned

Reason Number 1.

This is just sick.

Keep adding to the list, I'm going for 100.

Spray said:

Am I going to hell for laughing at that second one?

So am I!

Those were amusing examples, but seriously, why aren't you people blocking ads? Get with the times!!

Yeah, I have firefox at home, but I have to use crappy IE on this public computer, but that still never answers my question, if the add is coded onto the page, is there a way to get rid of it?

I see no banner ad because I simply have javascript and pop-ups turned off in Opera. I have no need for additional blocking software.

Firefox blocks pop-ups for me, which pleases me to no end, but what can get rid of those blasted pop-unders?

I could care less about banners, as long as they aren't noisy.

Submerge said:

Firefox blocks pop-ups for me, which pleases me to no end, but what can get rid of those blasted pop-unders?

Disable JavaScript.

Everybody can use a hosts file to block access to a lot of ad servers, assuming it's not a public machine or anything:
Mike's Ad Blocking Hosts File

All that does is provide a list of urls that it maps to your own ip address - meaning that when a page tries to look for an ad from one of these places, it's going to look on your machine and fail very quickly. This can really speed up your connection if you're on dial up, since you're not even loading the ads.

As for blocking stuff from showing up in your browser, that's very dependant on the browser you use. I use Opera, so Jor's Ad Blocking Style Sheet does the trick for me.

About the first post: was that banner ad really at the top of the page like that or did you just move it to the top to compare it with the Archvile? The ads for me are usually at the bottom of the page.

Oh...heh, I only go to the front page either on accident or the very occasional time.

Bashe said:

About the first post: was that banner ad really at the top of the page like that or did you just move it to the top to compare it with the Archvile? The ads for me are usually at the bottom of the page.

That is a 100% real screenshot, unedited except for cropping.

Comiclez said:

That is a 100% real screenshot, unedited except for cropping.

Isn't that an ad for PeoplePc?

DooMer87 said:

Isn't that an ad for PeoplePc?

No idea...why don't you refresh the front page and find out...

That second banner looked like it appeared because of software that is used to make ads relevant to articles. They backfire most of the time, as you can see. I first read about this problem on this page, under problem number 4.

If you're getting frequent pop-ups in a browser that blocks pop-ups, you may need to scan for malware.