Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SulfurOccult

the sky-paradox is underrated

heh, just had to show off my latest experiment. this effect works in all ports, uncluding Doom2.exe

to the newbies: how do you think i did it?

what, and throw port compatiblity down the drain?

i'm just trying to show that the sky paradox trick can do some great stuff, and a lot of newer mappers don't use it much, so i show this so to inspire its use!

If you've used f_sky as both floor and ceiling flats in the same sector to get that effect, which I'm assuming you probably have, then it's likely it doesn't work in doom2.exe (and some ports) without a couple of huge HOMs.

The Flange Peddler said:

If you've used f_sky as both floor and ceiling flats in the same sector to get that effect, which I'm assuming you probably have, then it's likely it doesn't work in doom2.exe (and some ports) without a couple of huge HOMs.

posibly, e1m1 has something like that where the wall is lower then the wall next to it. They gave the roof a sky texture and above that no texture.

robindegen said:

posibly, e1m1 has something like that where the wall is lower then the wall next to it. They gave the roof a sky texture and above that no texture.

That's not the same trick. The E1M1 trick doesn't use sky flats on both the floor and the ceiling of the same sector, which is done in MoD's pic and will cause HOM in doom2.exe

The Flange Peddler said:

MoD's pic and will cause HOM in doom2.exe

wrong person, i'm MoP ;)

actually, it will work no matter what port, so long as the player's view does not go below the paradox's floor level. (same thing with the cieling, except above). thats why i have the player on a slightly raised platform, otherwise you do see a HOM.

its like this. when viewing this blank texture strait on, we see a HOM

but when jumping, our view goes higher than the sector's floor, and the flat bleeds forward to fill the gap.

i've tried my circular portal out in Doom 95 and it works great (though i did have to IDCLIP through the doors as its a boom format map).

I included the wink smiley next to my post to show that I wasn't being very serious...

oh, ok then.

MasterOfPuppets said:

i've tried my circular portal out in Doom 95 and it works great

Well that's surprising, I guess some changes must have been made in doom95. Having the sky flat as both the ceiling and floor texture in one sector causes big HOM in the original doom2.exe (try loading the map with doom2.exe or eternity to see what I mean).

Wow! With some further tricks I can make evil smiles in the sky!
THE IDEA IS MINE! MWAHAHAH111

Fredrik said:

That can be set up without HOM.

I agree. I don't see why you can't just lower teh sky sector's floor and set it's floor and sky texture to F_SKY along with horizon walls. But then again, I only have experiance in ZDoom and don't know if it would work properly in other ports

edit: I was playing around with Doom 2. I got a floating platform working :)

That will totally work in vanilla doom. I remember the first tricks I learned were all sky effects. I remember hacking apart the infamous cross wad, with one of the first floating platforms, to see how the author did it.

Mh, my first map is somewhat close to completion, my second map will include this type of thing for sure (The first one is indoors anyways >_>)

All you need is some bridge objects and a teleport and voila! you have a oneway ticket to hell!

sky sectors can always be moved down giving architectural linedefs the appearance of a "lower roof" as long as the sector surrounding said sector also uses the doomsky flat.
when you use this in conjunction with invisible floors you can create lots of weird stuff in vanilla doom.

Im using this effect in part of my new map. By using sloping floors you can actually make a platform appear to be higher than you are, but dont let the players POV able to look "underneath" the floating platfor els the illusion doesnt work.

its basically when you have two adjacent sky ceilinged sectors with a height differece, and no upper texture defined. the player isn't able to percieve any differance between the ceilings in-game, making it possible to create some very 3d looking stuff.