Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
balanco01

Moving trains.....

I'm wondering if anyone had thought of making a realistic moving train, or if there is a wad out there that has such a thing? I'm not taking about the "Blood" style trains, where the "train" is a regular bunch of sectors, surrounded by scrolling flats. I'm talking about a real moving train simaler to what was in Duke Nukem. The the closest I've seen was that moving sector car in MassMouth 2 (which was really a bunch of lifts poping up and down to create the illusion of a moving car),and the train in Daedalus which was a camera moving across a path and a fixed train-like room with a skybox.

Mordeth did tout the possibility of a moving train in his TC, but there are no tangable examples of that ready to download. Scince he said he was using Eternity for the mod, I imagine this idea probaly was mothballed. :|

This was one of the things I've always wanted to see in Doom, and I can't imagine it to be very hard to implement into a source port. (I would do it myself, except my C/C++ skills are, what you say, lacking?)

balanco01 said:

I can't imagine it to be very hard to implement into a source port. (I would do it myself, except my C/C++ skills are, what you say, lacking?)

Heh.

Actually that's quite possible if you do some smart use of PolyObjects in ZDoom. I'm sure if one were to spend some time working on it long enough it could be done.

balanco01 said:
Mordeth did tout the possibility of a moving train in his TC, but there are no tangable examples of that ready to download. Scince he said he was using Eternity for the mod, I imagine this idea probaly was mothballed. :|

Nope, and that train level actually exists. Except it's a "Blood" style train... train does not move; but its surroundings. Same with the sidewheelsteamer level for Episode 3.

Yes, you can make a car like the one shown in massmouth. Using the technique myself, but mainly to create moving ceiling fans, floods and thermonuclear explosions :)

you will definatly need a sourceport that supports models. Doom cant handle "horizontal" movements of of linedefs and/or sectors. Why do you think all the doors move up (or down)?

sitters said:

Easy in doomsday with models.

greetings.

But that doesn't really work the way these trains are supposed to work.

If the train is just a bunch of normal sectors with texture scrolling surroundings, it's easy to do into any sourceport that supports that. If the train is supposed to move from one location to an another, you'll have to be a coding guru or have incredible luck while typing the code blind folded. Use the force Luke! ;)

I just got a nice idea how to make the non moving train make player really travel somewhere in the middle of the level. Of course it's easy just to make some separate train map, but what if this is some short range train and not those long range trains that travel forever and come to the station when the player press the end switch... This will require a silent teleporter that makes no visual glitch. It would be best if it can be triggered when enough time has passed. You just have to make sure player can not see the departure or arrival. One teleport into the train and another out of the train.

Technically, Vavoom should be able to do this. Afaik it's a merge of the Quake(2) and Doom engine.

You can make in doomsday a scrolling floor, you make from this floor a rail. You set up wind on de floor so things scrolling with the floor. A thing is a model, so you make a train model two sided in and out , and set this on the scrolling floor and the train follows the pad. You can make the thing solid so you can stand on it. Maybe I make one in the future.

Greetings.

Edit : When you make the thing 16 high and the model 96 you can stand in it.

robindegen said:

wont that move all jerky?

No that move not jerky.

When I am finish with Lost City, I shall make a level with a train.

Greetings.

robindegen said:

what's that got to do with an actual moving train?...

You could, in theory, create a complex skybox and have camera waypoints wind and move aroun in the box giving the appearance that you are actuallymoving around in a complex environment without actually moving. Action Doom did soemthing like this when the boat takes off from the canyon.

The car chase and the boat sequences from action doom are some of the coolest in-motion action for doom, ever.

Veddge said:

You could, in theory, create a complex skybox and have camera waypoints wind and move aroun in the box giving the appearance that you are actuallymoving around in a complex environment without actually moving. Action Doom did soemthing like this when the boat takes off from the canyon.

But if you had read the thread he clearly said he actually wanted it to move, not to appear is if.

robindegen said:

But if you had read the thread he clearly said he actually wanted it to move, not to appear is if.

Makes no difference if the player itself can't recognize if it is the train which is moving or the environment around him. Einsteins Theory of Relativity :)

depends. Maybe he wants it to move to another station so you'll actually be somewhere else (take half life's train for example) then this wont really work. This only works if the entire level is inside the train

robindegen said:

depends. Maybe he wants it to move to another station so you'll actually be somewhere else (take half life's train for example) then this wont really work. This only works if the entire level is inside the train

What about Daedalus?

The skybox tecnique is likely one of the easiest ways of doing it. Its pretty simple really. You'd just make a skybox similar to what I made in Base43. Player hops in train, door closes and shuts, skybox ceiling starts moving (using scripts of course) and textures on sides start scrolling. Thats the easiest way in my point of view.

But you cant move to a other place or you must use a silent teleporter on the way out, but that is not nice.
No a really transport device that you move to a other part of the map and you can see you are going to the other part.

Greetings.

Darkhaven said:

Look at Batman Doom map01 dammit

The train didn't move, just the trainstation was altered by some tricky movement of floors and ceilings

Moveable train in Zdoom? Without it looking crappy, no. You can't make windows because of how polyobjects can only be "walls from height to ceiling" i.e. columns. Your train ends up as a bunch of sliding walls that forms more of a textured slab than a train :(

Perhaps with some smart texture trickery..

You guys are dense and Veddge is right. You could make an amazingly complex skybox with a winding train path through the woods would be flawless. Have waypoints for the skybox viewpoint to follow and encase the train in this skybox and it would look like it was winding around bends and through the countryside. A couple simple silent teleporters and you would never even know it wasn't moving. It doesn't matter one iota whether it ACTUALLY moves or not, no matter what you say. As long as you execute it to FEEL like it's supposed to then that's all that matters.