Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Defect

Doom for the Nintendo DS.

It looks pretty darn nifty. Kinda reminds me of Doom 64 - are you keeping the same gameplay, but just adding new graphics?

Looks awesome. I love the Doom64-ish feel to it. I see from the screenshots that it's going to have 3D-model support. Would it also support sprites for monsters and things as well as models?

Finally, a reason to get the DS. :P I hope this works out well. If it's possible to port a version for the computer, that'd be great (is there a DS emulator?) as well. You definitely have the right attitude to recreate Doom64. Do you intend to alter the existing levels or make new ones?

All characters will be 3D. Sprites will be used for some flame projectiles, torches, blood etc.
Some things just have to be 3D, rockets for example.

Levels will be 100% new, but perhaps a secret level could be a classic Doom level.

There are some emulators in the works, but nothing good yet.
I'll be updating page soon with links to alot more info on making games for the DS.

Thanks for feedback, keep it coming.

If I may propose something-- a little more classic and sensible approach to the controls.

By giving the first-person view and automap/status bar their own screen, you're maximizing the real estate by alloting strategic-type actions to the touch screen without taking people out of the action. Also, you don't have to worry about plopping UI features into the rendering area.

The run/strafe - look/turn setup is pretty much standard for consoles these days. I added the run button to the right trigger, as it should be within easy reach, but maybe making it a toggle and/or offering an "autorun" option in the menu might make more sense. Who walks anymore, anyway?

EDIT: What kind of tools would be available to someone joining the team? There are plenty of 3D editors, and others made specifically for Doom, so...

Auto run will be an option. Not many people walk.
Have you actually used a DS to play a FPS? I dont know how you plan on looking with a stylus in your right hand while holding the R button to run. Same with opening doors. It can be done,but its plain uncomfortable. All controls are mappable anyway.
Dooms a fast simple game, the controls need to be the same.

The map is not going to be like the original, it will be 3D and allow some limited rotating and zooming functions.
At the moment I've no plans on displaying the map on the lower screen during gameplay. It will take up processor power that could be used for the top display.

Stats will be on the upper screen. Its not in the way.
Weapon inventory and ammo levels will be on the lower screen.
Screen layout is not finalized though.

In reply to the programming, No.

Not alot is know as yet about DS programming.
I personally have no programming experience at all.

This project needed to start somewhere. If there is nothing running on the DS for quite some time its no big issue, there is alot I can be working on untill the right person(s) feels upto the task of starting on the programming.

Go to the following links and have a look at the progress being made.
Its really quite inspiring.

http://forum.gbadev.org/viewforum.php?f=18
http://www.dslinux.org/forums/index.php?showforum=3
http://www.darkain.com/nintendo_ds/index.php

Well, you're dead-set on using the touchscreen as a freelook mechanism, aren't you? I'm not sure it'll be as intuitive in practice as you think it will.

what is it with all console fps efforts (pre-halo) where the d-pad/stick was forwards/backwards and turn left/right? this ruined doom on the GBA where the stick should have been move/strafe and the shoulder buttons turn! darnit dammit!

Who knows? Maybe nintendo or activision or someone will decide to publish it as an official game for ds and sell it at like gamestop and stuff.

May I make a suggestion to the controls without ripping off the Metroid Prime Hunters config?

D-Pad: Walk / Run / Strafe (Depending on mode)

A : Use object (hold to Strafe)
B : Melee Attack ??? (if not, this can be set to strafe)
X : Toggle Run / Walk
Y : Jump ??? (if not, 180-degree turn)
L / R : Change Weapons
Select : Unused
Start: Main Menu

And a little word to the wise: If you go with my control scheme, I recommend having an additional option somewhere that allows the player to switch strafing "styles", as described below:

When set to "Standard", the player must hold A or B and press Left or Right on the D-Pad to strafe and press L or R to switch weapons. Otherwise, while in "GBA" style, the player can press L or R to strafe and hold A (or B) while pressing up or down on the D-Pad to change weapons.

Defect said:

In reply to the programming, No.

Not alot is know as yet about DS programming.
I personally have no programming experience at all.

Go away and learn, first. You can't just leap into doing this with no knowledge or experience.

cycloid said:

what is it with all console fps efforts (pre-halo) where the d-pad/stick was forwards/backwards and turn left/right? this ruined doom on the GBA where the stick should have been move/strafe and the shoulder buttons turn! darnit dammit!

Uh, that would have been very confusing to play.

Who knows? Maybe nintendo or activision or someone will decide to publish it as an official game for ds and sell it at like gamestop and stuff.

I seriously doubt that is going to happen. Midway created the game, and they seem to act like the game never existed, like the game was a miserable failure or something. Well, it was, but that doesn't make it a bad game at all. In fact, it's probably my second favorite of any Doom game (the first being Doom 1 of course).

My reasons for bringing the website online before having a programmer onboard is to draw attention to the project. The sooner the page is up, the sooner I can start advertising for a programmer.

I'm in no rush to get someone onboard, I'm working on plenty of other things. But if the right person wanted to join right away I wouldnt knock the offer back.

It amazes me how quick some people are to start shooting an idea down. I'm after feedback on all aspects of the project, (not just the controls) if its not constructive, dont bother.

So try not to get too worked up over the controls guys. Like I said, the controls will be mappable. That means you can make a config that you like.

Defect said:

It amazes me how quick some people are to start shooting an idea down.

Welcome to Doomworld.

AgentSpork said:

Uh, that would have been very confusing to play.

you referring to my config suggestion? well if my suggestion is a suggestion and a configgable config option then it's up to me to decide what *i* find works and what i find confusing. i find the standard DOOM GBA controls confusing and had trouble playing every single FPS i tried on a console until Halo where move was the left stick and look was the other thus complementing the pc style mouse/keyboard combo.

this is quite interesting. I like the idea about doom 3 for DS having too much graphics removed. a great point there.

Are the models going to be painted to look like the Doom 64 sprites? That would be a good idea, since theres models of the originals already.

that looks cool!..
I never did like the doom 64 game !!
But some of the demons in it did look fair good !!...Heh when i bought Doom 3 on x box it came with DooM and DooM 2!
Has Multiplayer on it got to be the best multiplayer game i own on x box out of the 52 games i own!

cycloid said:

you referring to my config suggestion? well if my suggestion is a suggestion and a configgable config option then (etc)

I'm not sure if you've addressed his concerns, but mine specifically is the use of the touchpad as freelook. Consider it carefully; I can only see it detracting from any defining feature or characteristic of a good FPS (especially Doom). Visualizing holding the unit in such a way that you can fully utilize the feature... well, it paints a painfully awkward picture.

For example: How in the hell are you going to hold the stylus to aim and reach around for the fire button?

Numbermind said:

Well, you're dead-set on using the touchscreen as a freelook mechanism, aren't you? I'm not sure it'll be as intuitive in practice as you think it will.

works good in the metroid game. you could even use double-tap as use. i think it would work perfectly.

Numbermind: The way it works in Metroid Prime Hunters (the config I used anyway) you had the directional pad to move and strafe, the freelook on the stylus, and the L button to fire (several miscellaneous functions could be mapped to the A, B, X, Y, and R buttons, and potentially reversed for left-handed players). The double-tap for use sounds like a good idea, and very natural. And of course, with that kind of setup, there would be no need to waste a button for strafing or using items, so the remainder of the buttons could be bound for weapon cycling and other functions that might be implemented later.

This is great, unproductive but funny.

Perhaps I should work on a fighting game for the DS where to beat your opponent you must come up with the best control configuration.

I can see finishing moves and 'unplug the opponents controller' special moves. Hell i better be careful, Midway may want to publish this.. several times.

Defect said:

This is great, unproductive but funny.

unproductive? we are giving the DoomDS author a lot of feedback and insight. but please, continue being cinical and psuedo-funny.