Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Martin Howe

Why no "next unused" for 121 LINE IDs?

DB keeps track of sector tags, TIDs and so forth, and offers a "next unused" button. However, it does not do this for LINE IDs (ZDoom/HeXen special 121). It is possible to do this manually, with a bit of discipline, but it seems a strange omission. Is there a reason why DB doesn't have this feature, or is it just something that is considered low-priority?

Bump!

I don't expect to see it in DB anytime soon - this wasn't a meant as a feature request, because it is possible to live without it - but it was a valid technical question; since almost every other kind of tag does have a "next unused" button, it does seem strange that 121 doesn't.

What was/is the reason?

Codeimp?

Quite simple: The fields where you give the line ID are general purpose fields. The editor doesnt know its meant to be a line ID when its line type 121 and coding such exceptions is bad. Im already struggling with my personal coding guidelines while doing this just for the stupid slopes :(

Heh :) Standards vs "what is needed". The horror of having to decide whether to add, or not to add, another dimension to a subsystem just to cope with a few cases that were hitherto seen as special. I know that feeling well :( :(

Thanks!

CodeImp said:

Quite simple: The fields where you give the line ID are general purpose fields. The editor doesnt know its meant to be a line ID when its line type 121 and coding such exceptions is bad. Im already struggling with my personal coding guidelines while doing this just for the stupid slopes :(

Since this is not the only linedef that defines line IDs you can give the parameter a special type and then based on this information find the next unused. That way you don't have to hard code special handling for one line type.

Eh, DB lets you do a search for Lines with a given tag type/number, so if your getting bogged down with too many tags to keep track of, you can use the search feature to check and see if a number is already in use.