Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gibaholic

Any other good games for pc besides FPS?

We all know the best games on pc are fps or mmorpgs but does anyone know of any other good computer games? So far the only good non fps and rpg games ive found are metal gear,metal gear 2, metal gear solid 1 and 2, final fantasy 7 and 8 and resident evil 2 and 3.

Have you looked into the Command & Conquer series, MDK 1/2, Deus Ex and Warcraft 3 and such? Just becuase the names aren't what you're familiar with doesn't mean they're necessarily bad, it's just that you need to avoid the cliche names (i.e. Counter-Strike, CIA Operative, FBI Hostage, Weapons of mass..forget it)

Dosbox is just like a program to run dos applications that dont run on your OS. And freeware isnt a genre, there are good freeware games like knight online and wolfenstein enemy territory. so far it looks like rpg games and fps are the only genre on pc besides a few platformers ( codename gordon, duke nukem 1 and 2).

Hardly. A few other prominent genres:
- Real-time Strategy (e.g. Command and Conquer, Warcraft, Dungeon Keeper)
- Turn-based Strategy (e.g. Civilization, Heroes of Might & Magic, Age of Empires)
- Adventure (e.g. Monkey Island, Space Quest, Broken Sword)
- Action (e.g. Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, the Suffering)

Then there's arcade games, flight sims, space combat, driving games, sports games, and all sorts of other stuff.

Almost all of the above also have very distinct sub-grenres of their own. For example, there are two different types of RPG: Action RPG (Diablo, Dungeon Siege, X-Men Legends), and Story-Driven RPG (Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, Elder Scrolls).

NiGHTMARE said:

- Turn-based Strategy (e.g. Civilization, Heroes of Might & Magic, Age of Empires)

AoE is real-time strategy.

If you're up for some scary immersion with OMFG RPG elements in an FPS, pick up System Shock 2 out of the bargain bins where available.

I cant spell u said:

Note that I said besides mmorpg.

Guild Wars is not an MMO. Starcraft is not an MMO. There is only one game in the Warcraft series that is an MMO.

Starcraft
Diablo
The Sims
Command and conquer
Lemmings
Duke Nukem manhattan project

Look up ABA Games - they have some pretty awesome scrolling shooters for free (Noiz2sa, rRootage, Gunroar, Torus Trooper, Tumiki Fighters, etc).

gta3
gta:vc
gta:sa
worms world party
space empires 4
total annihilation/cc/bt
civ 3/ptw/conquests
warcraft 3/tft

these are all the non fps or rpg games I have installed atm

Journey to Silius/Raf World

Oh yeah, that game where You beat a female rough AI onboard some space station. Dunno. I played it once or sumhin'

;)

There seems to be an error in your first sentance...

We all know the best worst games on pc are fps or mmorpgs...

There, fixed it for you.

I cant spell u said:

So far the only good non fps and rpg games ive found are metal gear,metal gear 2, metal gear solid 1 and 2, final fantasy 7 and 8 and resident evil 2 and 3.

Errr...

The Final Fantasy games are all RPGs. The rest of the stuff you mentioned are from FPS sub-genres. Theres a lot more out there than that, you know. I'd suggest you educate yourself:

Civilization 3
Alpha Centauri
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
SimCity 3000 Unlimited
Grand Theft Auto 3
Thief (okay, it's a sort of FPS, but it's very unique)
Majesty
Worms: Armageddon
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War

Those are just from the last decade or so. There are many more older games that are as good or better:

Scorched Earth
Space Quest
Halloween Harry
Jazz Jackrabbit
X-Wing/Tie Fighter
Dune
Dune 2
Quest for Glory (RPGish)
Raptor: Call of the Shadows
Galactix
Attack of the Mutant Space Bats of Doom
Commander Keen

etc.

gargoylol said:

AoE is real-time strategy.

Oops, I meant Age of Wonders ;).

Play this.

Jazz Jackrabbit (1 and 2)
Hocus Pocus
Raptor: Call of the shadows
... ok Most of the classic Epic and Apogee games...

jedi knight dark forces 2 in external camera mode. freakin' sweet! however, it gets old fast.