Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bashe

S_Start and SS_start markers

Is there really a difference between these two? They seem to have the same effect (enclosing sprites) but I've seen both of them in wads before.

The technical distinction is that the S markers are used in IWADs and the SS markers in PWADs (see http://doom.wikicities.com/wiki/WAD). In practice, however, many PWADs use the IWAD style markers, or some crazy combination (which can make WAD loading hell).

Fredrik said:

The technical distinction is that the S markers are used in IWADs and the SS markers in PWADs (see http://doom.wikicities.com/wiki/WAD). In practice, however, many PWADs use the IWAD style markers, or some crazy combination (which can make WAD loading hell).

I'm not sure of the extent of this, but I know that using a combination of FF_START and F_END is the only way you can include custom flats in a .exe compatible pwad without having to include EVERY flat in the Iwad. I'm unsure whether sprites behave the same way...

So, as I've been told, it's always best to use XX_START and X_END. It fixed problems I had with loading textures and flats in Legacy.

EDGE treats the double variety (e.g. SS_START) exactly like the normal variety (S_START).

Looking at some source of other ports:
- Boom and PrBoom also treat them as identical
- Legacy 1.41 too.
- ZDoom 0.96 as well (with some extra code to handle XX_END followed by X_END).
- Doomsday 1.8.4 also, but the logic looks wrong (seems MarkerForGroup will match any first letter e.g. XS_START, YS_START, ZS_START).