Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ebon

Crushing ceilings don't act as they should

There's a bug in Eternity.

Crushing ceilings are supposed to go down and up, and regardless of victim presence under them, they are supposed to continuously move.
However, in Eternity they simply stop when blocked by something. The thing underneath is able to move away too.
Because of gameplay change, demos with crushers also often get out of sync.

Ebon said:

Because of gameplay change, demos with crushers also often get out of sync.

Can you give a specific example of such a demo? Or a map where the crushers behave differently in Eternity from the way they do in Doom2.exe?

Grazza said:

Can you give a specific example of such a demo? Or a map where the crushers behave differently in Eternity from the way they do in Doom2.exe?

Map? ALL OF THEM... like E2M2, E2M4, E2M6, E3M4, E3M5, E4M7, MAP06, MAP13 etc... It's general. So try crushing the spider in MAP06 - and see it won't go down. Or try crushing yourself in E2M2 or MAP13. The crusher will stay up. Demos desync simply because the crusher will have a different position than DOOM. Try any E2M2 100% kills demo (recorded in Doom) and you'll see.

EDIT: it's about the later Eternity versions. Dunno which, because I stayed with an old one for a longer time.

OK, I've found one: sf26-314.

Works OK in version 3.31.10, but not in versions 3.33.00 or 3.33.01 (I haven't tested other versions). Under Windows XP, just in case that matters.

This demo uses a route that was causing crusher-related desyncs when recorded in PrBoom without monster_avoid_hazards 0. I tried changing that value in eternity.cfg, but it had no impact - same desync (which is good in a sense, because it should be ignoring that value).

Well I don't think it has anything to do with "avoid hazards"... I'd show you two photos, but I don't quite know how.