Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SirBardCat

idea for 2d editing mode

I've found myself in need of this many times...

Here's an idea for editing in 2D mode. Instead of having the 64x64 grid with lines, you can have a flat of your choice as the background (in alignment with the grid, of course). This way, it would be easier to align floor textures... like those pesky hexagonal flats which i have such a hard time with.

edit: scratch this entire thread. sorry.

Whether or not he supports his idea I support it :D. If this was implemented it would rock. I always wanted to do cool things like that but was unable to due to how frustrating it was to align and check.

i'd like it if it pasted in all the flats of the floors of all the sectors, possibly with light levels and blinking (approximated) too (see: duke nukem 3d)

SirBardCat said:

scratch this entire thread. sorry.

Uhm, why scratch this thread?

Although its not a bad idea, its not possible with the current renderer. The 2D renderer uses a special palette with the colors required to show you everything and there is no room in that palette for a decent amount of colors to show images. Unless I would rewrite the renderer to work with 32bit colors (which is extremely slower) its not going to work.

i said to forget it because i was reading through other user requests and i found the same idea elsewhere, and you responded by saying that it's impossible. if it would make 2d editing slower, then it's not even worth it. maybe if you could drag a translucent flat OVER the editor, and keep the flat on top of doombuilder all the time... make it zoomable to match doombuilders zoom... maybe it could be an entirely different program? :) this is just something i'd really like, hehe.

SirBardCat said:

maybe if you could drag a translucent flat OVER the editor, and keep the flat on top of doombuilder all the time... make it zoomable to match doombuilders zoom... maybe it could be an entirely different program? :) this is just something i'd really like, hehe.

Well, it would require Windows 2000 or XP, but it would be pretty handy to use.

most people by now use winxp or some opensource OS like Linux.

My idea for the translucent flat sounds really simple in concept, but in terms of actually coding, I have no idea.

You need to have a full-color, full-screen graphic as a guide for making maps that are essentially 2D line drawings anyway?

Dude, buy some graph paper.

yeah my idea would be nice but not really neccesary when you can just roll the mouse over in sector mode and see for yourself i suppose. but if it's going to slow it down then dont do it, i love the fact that it's speedy as f**k even with lots of lines