Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

LONDON: FURTHER INCIDENTS! 07-21-05

London has suffered a series of attacks in the past few hours, which is during the London rush hour. Many casualties are being reported at the moment, and details are very vague. All that is in stone is that these attacks have occured on Double decker buses and the subways.

The top halves of double decker buses have been blown straight off and lay in the street.

This is the largest terrorist attack in London ever, and similar in the style to the one pulled off by the IRA over 10 years ago.

So, speculate.

Well I've been saying for a number of years that bombing a subway is the perfect terrorist attack.

But I'm not going to claim involvement just yet.

Also, it sounds pretty obviously Al-Qaeda.

One bus and six possible explosions in the underground system. Very little in the way of confirmed details at present.

sargebaldy said:

But I'm not going to claim involvement just yet.

Sorry, but as someone who knows people in London, I don't think that's funny.
There is chaos in London
People are buried under rubble and 20 fatalities have been confirmed so far

TheDarkArchon said:

Tony Blair has confirmed he is returning to London.

On top of that, he doesn't look entirely happy

And the G8 will go ahead without him...the attacks were clearly intended to coincide with this

Ralphis said:

On top of that, he doesn't look entirely happy

Would you be happy if you found out your countries capital has been bombed?

I just hope that this doesn't lead to a nationwide security-mania. There's already a possibility that the unpopular ID cards will become law and I have a feeling this will be used as a way of gaining public support for them . We don't want our civil liberties being erroded. That's exactly what terrorism sets out to achieve.

Captain Red said in "London gets the 2012 Olympics":
I some how doubt it's related to London getting the 2012 Olympics, but still... Nasty.

TheDarkArchon said:

Would you be happy if you found out your countries capital has been bombed?

No. That's a given. It was just that I've never quite seen him that angry. It was expected

Any trollish or flame-type posts here will get deleted. Thread cleaned a bit.

edit by Job: on top of that, any disparaging, inconsiderate or malicious posts will land the member two weeks in Losers, no questions asked.

They're going to have to try harder than this.

This is a city that lived through the blitz sixty years ago, and is prepared for this crap, and so well built that the tube hasn't even been structually compromised.

I say well done to the emergency services, some of the best in the world, who had 100 people in hospital in almost no time, and without panic. The emergency incident plan for London works, and will work again in future, though God forbid it should be needed.

I abhor the loss of my countrymen, but Londoners, like New Yorkers, are a special breed of multicultural peoples, and they will only get stronger by this, not weaker. They will come together more than ever. Al Qaeda can not win by doing this, plain and simple.

I wonder if their recent (as of yesterday) gain of the olympics is the cause for this attack.

<AirRaid> or the g8 summit, TOFUCKINGDAY

heh.

sorry you Brits had to be attacked like that. :(

I think it's sad that I'm English and I first heard it here. Btw, if Al-qaeda masterminded the Twin Towers, I doubt this was them this was hardly as calculated. I think it's just pissed off minorities and gang members.

Yup Pritch knows it, London is made of the hard stuff and I don't know how but us Brits are pretty resiliant to hate, so I doubt this attack will help the 'terrorists' in any way.

Almost everyone I've talked to is just pissed off that they might be late getting home. After all the IRA bombings London has had, I don't think anyone is particularly scared.

I have to agree with GMan. I've far more worried that some idiots will use this as an excuse to pass draconian "security" laws than what the terrorists might do next.

I'm sure the people who have lost loved ones are scared and upset right now.

And btw it was seven bombs not four

I'm very calm and I never said it's the end of the world.
I'm sorry that a tragedy close to my home has upset me and if that has affected you in any negative way, I'm very sorry

Well, if you live in London near where it has happened I guess that's understandable.

This just in from emergency services conference;

Four devices in total - three on the tube and one on a bus.

At least 33 fatalities, 300 injured, 45 seriously or critically.

So much for the Islamic offer for neutrality with Europe. I wonder how this will affect the British response to the "War Against Terrorism"...man, I really hate that handle.

Uh they've been in Afghanistan for ages.

Just spoke to my friend Doug who works in central London. He's walking home for work - will take 3 hours, heh. London very much getting on as normal, except for closed roads and public transport. He reports people as disgusted, but calm and determined to get on with things. Everyone will go to work tomorrow and to hell with the terrorists.

Still unknown fatalities from the bus - an ironic but lucky coincidence is that it exploded outside the British Medical Association building. Several doctors were therefore on hand to offer first aid to wounded. Also the University College Hospital is like, yards away, so that has helped too.

There is full power to the tube network and it can probably run as normal except for the affected areas tomorrow.

We're all, however, still advised not to travel to London unless it's vital.

pritch said:

He reports people as disgusted, but calm and determined to get on with things. Everyone will go to work tomorrow and to hell with the terrorists.

Hey, look at that. That's the best thing to do. Certainly better than running around being afraid and passing dangerous legislation.