Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

LONDON: FURTHER INCIDENTS! 07-21-05

Well, as we move on the critical stage, I may as well jumble together some comments I posted elsewhere.

Ironically, I heard one source talking about the situation in relation to Iraq, saying something along the lines of "it becomes evident that the violence in Iraq is capable of spreading overseas to those who think they're safe", which I found somewhat amusing. I think if there is any reaction, it'll be along those lines, an increased support for the capitalist offense forces already in Iraq. I think the US government may try to tap into the situation somewhat, but I don't think they could capitalize too much on the deaths.

As for the incident itself, it is clearly distressing, particularly that these groups continue to target and incite civilians who may in fact be strongly opposed to the West's coca colonialism of the Middle East. Whereas a successful attack on the G8, for example, might have in fact lent some strength to their aims. Instead, they're simply lending ridiculous amounts of powers to the corporate class, and killing people pointlessly, aimlessly, and with a saddening disregard for human life.

Al-Qaeda is growing, and people ought to realize that these attacks more than anything else are serving as advertisements. They show other people frustrated by rampant Mid-East capitalism that there is a very organized effort to try to stop the United States. Even while the attacks themselves might be entirely ineffective in terms of generating terror, they have a strong effect on efforts for recruiting. The so-called "War on Terror" feeds them even further, giving them very strong reasons to hate the United States and its military allies. Of course, this leaves the conservative leadership in a comfortable position, right into Orwell's endless war. The United States and its allies are going to take any excuse it can take to build itself up politically and militarily in the world hegemony, and Al-Qaeda is going to keep making these attacks, these recruitment drives into the alienated and devastated populations of the Middle East.

GMan said:

I just hope that this doesn't lead to a nationwide security-mania. There's already a possibility that the unpopular ID cards will become law and I have a feeling this will be used as a way of gaining public support for them . We don't want our civil liberties being erroded. That's exactly what terrorism sets out to achieve.

Im sorry but there are no id cards in the U.K. Im confuesed.

Agamemnon XVI said:

Im sorry but there are no id cards in the U.K. Im confuesed.

ID cards will become law

But we have id cards in america and were fine with it.mine alows me to go to the comescery and get meat at the third of the price.I dont get what the big deal is.

fodders said:

ID cards will become law

Actually they will NOT become law and all the information that you read are all lies fashoned by people that will do nothing but poison peoples minds with false facts that "makes sense". It's basicly Conspiracy propaganda if you ask me

Becareful what you read on the internet because there are carefully fashoned lies in every corner.

What if you're lying? WHO DO WE BELIEVE THEN? *panicpanicpanicpanic*

Besides I doubt they will become law because they don't sound like they'll do much. It's like some one said in a comedey sketch. 'Oh, shit, we're being bombed.........but they have ID cards...so it's okay!(laughter)" Or something like that, saw it a long time ago.

Also what are they going to put in these ID cards, all your information and a tracker or something, bugged perhaps? Also you lose this and you're stripped of your rights, right? I'm not sure how these things are going to work.

Janderson said:

What if you're lying? WHO DO WE BELIEVE THEN? *panicpanicpanicpanic*

Mabye we should start believing what we see in reality because we live in a world where it's almost impossible to trust anyone and the best advice I can give you is trusting yourself.

Agamemnon XVI said:

But we have id cards in america and were fine with it.mine alows me to go to the comescery and get meat at the third of the price.I dont get what the big deal is.

The main problem people have with them in the UK is that they will contain biometric data about the holder - finger prints, photos and eye scans being three of the main ones. Another thing is it's reckoned the cards will cost around £15 billion all in all, which is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on something people don't really want (and we'll all have to pay anything from £30 to over £100 out of our own pockets for them).
The cards will also be linked into many government computer systems as well as other third party systems, meaning pretty much anyone can check up on your data.
This I do not like.

Nightmare Doom said:

Be careful what you read on the internet because there are carefully fashoned lies in every corner.

That's no different to what you read in the news and what comes out of the government's lips. The difference is that the internet is uncensored, so these disturbing facts can show themselves there.

Janderson said:

Besides I doubt they will become law because they don't sound like they'll do much. It's like some one said in a comedey sketch. 'Oh, shit, we're being bombed.........but they have ID cards...so it's okay!(laughter)" Or something like that, saw it a long time ago.

Also what are they going to put in these ID cards, all your information and a tracker or something, bugged perhaps? Also you lose this and you're stripped of your rights, right? I'm not sure how these things are going to work.

They will become law, this government is hell-bent on it.

As myk said, they contain biometric data but the government's plans for by-the-mile road charging also suggests that they will have some kind of link to the GPS or similar. So yes a tracker or something, which they'll probably claim will help track criminals and terrorists. What they don't tell you of course is that "criminal" and "terrorist" will eventually mean "government opposer", and as you need the card to use everyday facilities, what better way to silence people they don't like? Take away their ID card and use the anti-terror laws to bang them up forever. Much easier than rigging the Hutton report and coming down hard on the BBC. (which was an early signal of the government's intention to silence opposition to it's pro-Bush views)

DooMer87 said:

because the U.S. is increasingly getting closer to finding bin laden.

You mean he's still alive?!

ATTENTION:CHICAGO HEADLINES

Chicago has CTA trains that go around the city and it's very close suburbs. On Friday, I heard that at the Red CTA line's Berwyn stop, someone left unattended baggage aboard. The bomb squad said it was free of bombs.

This above incident is similar to people sending each other baby powder when anthrax was going around in the mail.

Scabbed Angel said:

What if you just leave the damn thing at home?

You will have 10 yes bloody 10 days to produce it at a police station, how that's going to catch terrorists/illegals I have no idea.

GMan said:

The main problem people have with them in the UK is that they will contain biometric data about the holder - finger prints, photos and eye scans being three of the main ones.

It seems kind of redundant to carry info like finger prints and eye scans on a card when it's also contained in the person who's carrying the card.

As for whether it's going to become law or not, it could go either way. But, with the government's reduced majority and disgruntled back-benchers, it's increasingly likely that it won't become law.

It's been passed through commons by about 30, and the Lords don't like it in it's bpresent form so I don't think it'll become law.

Janderson said:

Well that's the whole idea. There's crack pots out there proclaiming these attacks have been perpetuated by secret orginzations which want to control the world. Pretty much by manipulation and instilling as much fear as possible into people, they'll be willing to give up their rights in the name of "security" " and "freedom" to push their global world domination agenda. Security and freedom for the new world order, not the people.

One world, one nation. It kinda makes that John Lennon song sound a little creepier. Hitler went a step further and wanted one race as well. Theres a device that exists known as the Veri chip. It's the size of a grain rice, and is shot into your arm. It can store all your personal information. What you look like, who you are, where you live, your financial, and health information. It also has GPS capablities as well. Buying something could be as easy swiping your arm through a scanner.

You end up in the emergency room, they scan your chip and your whole medical history is made known to them for your convenience. The bible proclaims when man possesses the mark of the beast he will no longer be able to buy or sell. EDIT: Buy or sell without it. The verichip gives way for this prophetic possibility. God I love listening to tinfoil hat Looneys.

DooMer87 said:

ATTENTION:CHICAGO HEADLINES

Chicago has CTA trains that go around the city and it's very close suburbs. On Friday, I heard that at the Red CTA line's Berwyn stop, someone left unattended baggage aboard. The bomb squad said it was free of bombs.

This above incident is similar to people sending each other baby powder when anthrax was going around in the mail.

You realize that lots of other cities have commuter rails, and that stuff likes this happens everyday, that's why after your stuff gets swiped the bag eventually makes it to a lost-and-found...

On a lighter note, in the 80's there was a bomb scare at Aberdeen (Scotland) rail station. It was one of the biggest scares of its type in Aberdeen. To cut a long story short, the station was closed, an area of the city was cordoned off and the mystery bag inspected. The contents? A vibrator.

I know it sounds like an urban myth, but I actually know one of the police officers who was in attendance, and he swears that the story is genuine. He also has a funny story about a conversation he and a sergeant, who ended up being responsible for the confiscated item in his stores, had later on. Unfortunately, my friend has a much better way of telling it than would transfer to text on a forum.

TheDarkArchon said:

It's been passed through commons by about 30, and the Lords don't like it in it's bpresent form so I don't think it'll become law.

That was before the attacks though :/

/me hopes that they have sense to realise that ID cards won't stop terrorists

POTGIESSER said:

Well that's the whole idea. There's crack pots out there proclaiming these attacks have been perpetuated by secret orginzations which want to control the world.

its no secret organization, it the Christian Illuminanti made up of everyday people who love Jesus maybe a bit too much. and they aren't out to control the world, they are out to bring the Revelation/Rapture so they can assend to heaven. i think that motivation can twist an otherwise normal person to doing horrible acts of violence.

is it so hard to believe, really? Islam was all about piece until Bin Laden and others preyed on their country-men's desperation to turn much of it into an extremeist party of violence.

It sucks about london but where I live in the UK (Birmingham) that had a bomb scare. I was just in the pub having a few pints (as you do) then the soddin' place was evacuated and all transport going into and out of the city had been cancelled. Eitherway lucky me and my friend walked to the outskirts of the city and then i got a lift of my friends dad, otherwise I probably would have had to sleep a rough night on the streets :-|

We had a bomb alert where I live in Northumberland on Friday as well...but it was just overhype after what happened in London...police came from Edinburgh convinced there was a bomb on a train and our whole estate had to be evacuated

On the morning of the London explosions we had a bomb scare down here in Brighton. An unattended suitcase left in a phone box next to the railway station caused the police to evacuate the station and close down the Brighton to London railway line. A controled explosion was carried out but it turned out to be a false alarm.

Eh, just dummies apaprently.

Only one person reported injured, but traffic chaos as three tube stations and many roads closed.

Just saw something hardcore.

One of the terrorist suspects tried to escape through Whitehall.. which is the part of London where the government buildings are. So, uh, that wasn't too clever.

He was pinned down outside Downing Street (where the Prime Minister lives) by tons of police with sub-machine guns, then led away past scores of Met Police BMWs.

He kind of fucked up there then. Be interesting to see who he is.