Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Entropy

particle effects

I am making a bex/dehacked file to enhance old wads while using your Eternity engine.
Particle events are avialable for any frames but particlefx are only for things in the EDF format.
What i want to do is blow a monster into a pile of gibs and have flies surrounding it. This was done with the monsters in Quake2. I cant make this work with EDF or dehacked...any suggestions...or is this not possible with Eternity yet?

It isn't quite possible yet. The flies effect was added quite a while back but I hadn't gotten around to making a way for the flies to start buzzing around a thing after it dies. I am, however, working on the particle system at this very moment to add some scripting capabilities, so while I'm doing that, I can add a way to get the flies to appear on a corpse, ala Quake 2, so it'll be in the next release :)

This is great news!
In the meantime i will be content with the flies just buzzing around hanging and skewered bodies and very filthy demons.

Hi there.

you can do the way you want inicially, with EDF. I'm working on some new monsters and make one who spawns filthy flies when die. Just make a demon who spawns a thing with the PARTICLEFX field when dies.
My EDF is something like this:

include("root.edf")

frame S_POSS_XDIE6 { cmp = "POSS|17|*| 1|SPAWN|@next|*|25119|"; dehackednum = 199 }
frame S_POSS_XDIE7 { cmp = "POSS|18|*| 1|*|@null"; dehackednum = 200 }

thingtype Guts_Flies
{
inherits = DeadDoomPlayerGibs
particlefx = FLIES
dehackednum = 25119
}

This make the zombieman spawns flies whe n suffering exploding death (not work with normal death state).
Blow up some zombies with the Rocket Launcher and you will see. I use here the doom player guts decoration graphics but of course you can use your own custom graphic for the corpse. Even give some custom fly-buzzing sound via de SOUND codepointer.

Hope this helps.

Cya!

Thanks NokturnuS...thats very clever!
It will be simpler when particlefx can be assigned to individual frames...this way i can have the gibs decay into crushedgibs and finally a pool of blood while still keeping the flys.
You have given me something interesting to play with in the meantime.

I better warn you guys now that the fly effect is changing slightly as of the next version. It'll have its own sound with custom attenuation behavior (support for specifying the attenuation properties of sounds via EDF is now implemented).

You can still use the FLIES effect on inert objects, but for things that die there is a new effect flag called FLIESONDEATH. When a thing has been dead for 4 seconds, the flies appear and steadily increase in number over the next 20 seconds. The new DSEEFLY sound effect is played from the thing itself every 2 seconds. For the FLIESONDEATH flag, a thing must end up in a final death frame with -1 tics. If it doesn't, the effect will never appear.