Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mkfanatic

Xbox Ultimate Doom Eps. 4 Level 1 Secret #2

I am having a problem getting this secret to even work. This is my first time playing Episode 4 because I have never played Ultimate Doom before so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or not. This is what I have read to do:

"In the northeast corner of this room is a torch. Walk up
to it, but don't touch it yet. Activating this torch will
cause the large, brown, rectangular block behind you to
sink into the floor, revealing a "NIN" logo. The easiest
way to get credit for discovering that Secret is to step
onto that block before it sinks all the way into the floor.
Otherwise, the raised "NIN" letters that remain will tend
to get in the way, making it difficult to touch the top of
the block... and if you don't make contact, you don't get
credit.

Secret 2: Activate that torch and step on the block before
it disappears into the floor. (If the block is already
lowered, then try stepping on the triangular floor spaces
within the "N" characters of the design.)"

However, the torch doesn't ever seem to activate. I hit the action button and it does nothing. Did they do something different for this level in the Xbox version? I noticed there is a switch right outside the door up the stairs on the left that seems to do nothing, does it have something to do with it? I also noticed something else kinda strange. If you enter through the red door and shoot a rocket at the goat head on the right, the rocket seems to go through it and explode on something behind it but you can't go through it but the one on the left, the rocket just explodes right on contact. Can anyone explain this?

Maybe a slight glitch. I think you should check out that switch. And make sure there are NO cheat codes on, because the game may disable the ability to get to that secret because cheats are on.

No, no cheats are on, I'm sure of that. I have never played Episode 4 before and seeing how it's my first time playing Episode 4, I want to beat it myself, with no cheats. Also, I have checked the switch numerous times but I can't seem to find what it activates. I run into the red door room after I activate it but I don't see anything moving.

I'm guessing that maybe the door doesn't need to be opened by the torch. I'm guessing that maybe you need to just open the door that the torch is supposed to open. Otherwise, I'm stumped. A glitch could be a reason.

It's not a door it's supposed to open, it's this big sort of wall thing that's supposed to lower if you activate the torch. Have you ever played Ultimate Doom?

Of course! I just havent heard of that secret, because i dont huint for secrets in Ep 4, especially e4m2. Anyway, find someone else that has Xbox DooM and try their game/borrow it. See if it's a glitch. It possibly could be.

Well what about everybody else? Why hasn't anyone else replied? SOMEBODY has to know. This topic has been viewed by a lot of people, SPEAK UP!

Nope, that didn't work either. Also, does anybody know if there is a way to turn the music off? It's not that I don't like the music, it's just I don't prefer to listen to it while I'm playing cuz it covers up noises.

mkfanatic said:

Also, I have checked the switch numerous times but I can't seem to find what it activates. I run into the red door room after I activate it but I don't see anything moving.

That's because it only works in a certain situation. After you activate the second secret(or step on one of those N's, I'm not sure), walls will raise up around the perimeter of the red door room, trapping you as barons teleport in. If you manage to escape the room before those walls rise up completely, however, then that switch will lower them.

This is how it goes in PC Doom, though; I don't know what's wrong with the secret on Xbox. (I'd try it myself, but my Xbox is broken.)

So nobody knows? Nobody here has an Xbox? Is there a more populated Doom forum I could ask at where people would know?

He's been to my site; that's where he got the text from. :)
But he's right, the switch is dead. Forgot to change that in the FAQ, will do shortly.

It's more than likely due to a legal-department nitpick over the "NIN" logo.
The guys who handled the Sega Saturn Doom game had to deal with the exact same issue; except in that case they just removed the letters themselves, and otherwise left the secret intact and accessible.
In the Xbox game they just killed the switch, which was about the simplest edit to make (not surprising for this port).
Unfortunately this edit not only means you don't get 100% Secrets, you also won't get 100% Kills on this level (monsters released by that switch stay trapped).

Ugh, still gotta repost that FAQ... but meanwhile, I promise that all other max scores for Xbox UDoom are correct as stated. :)

Seeing how this is a port of the PC Doom, is there possibly a way to activate the no clipping code?

mkfanatic said:

Seeing how this is a port of the PC Doom, is there possibly a way to activate the no clipping code?

I doubt it; all the PC FPSes with noclip I've played didn't have noclip codes in their console versions.

Yeah, but this isn't just your typical console version, it's the actual PC game on the xbox with extras thrown in, at least, I'm pretty certain of it. Can anyone verify that for me?

Well, I checked with a few sources, most notably these two, which were different from each other. There seem to be plenty of cheats listed, but noclip isn't one of them in either.

I know there aren't any noclip cheats listed but that could just mean they haven't been found or released yet.

mkfanatic said:

I also noticed something else kinda strange. If you enter through the red door and shoot a rocket at the goat head on the right, the rocket seems to go through it and explode on something behind it but you can't go through it but the one on the left, the rocket just explodes right on contact. Can anyone explain this?

Each demon-faced wall panel is at the outer edge of a small room where some monsters are waiting to be released. The face panels are opaque to players from the outside, but monsters can see through them in each direction. (Monsters and players can also shoot through them in each direction.)
Just behind those face panels are thick, solid barrier-walls. The barrier in the south room drops into the floor when you pick up the blue key; the barrier for the north room drops when you activate the torch-switch (in the original PC version of this map).
Players and monsters are effectively blocked from walking into or out of those rooms, even when the big barriers are down. But inside the rooms are monster-teleport lines, which allow the enemies to beam out when they detect you and start to move.

Also, does anybody know if there is a way to turn the music off?

Other than the volume control on your TV, nope. :(

There's a fair chance the cheat ability was left in the game's program code, but little-to-no chance that the cheat can be accessed using just the controller... short of hacking the game, at least.
Not really worth it, anyway. No-clipping around would just make it easier to crash the game.