Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

sticky ness

i have overclocked a old 486 system, just for a little fun, i however do want to keep the chip "living" and not have it burn out on me. so i stuck a socket 7 fan on it. now there is a problem the fan cant stay on very good, too heavy and slides off. if it were a flat desktop case it would be no broblem, but this is a tower and i cant set it on its side, not much room here. so i want some idea on how to keep the fan inplace aginst the CPU. also i had to remove a heatsink that was on the CPU, and it had something that would work great. a pice of metal foil coated on both sides with a very stiky heat compound. a pice of that would hold the fan in and i also want to know if they sell this "sticky foil" for fans and cpus

Visit the following site:

http://www.2cooltek.com/case001.html

It´s violent.

(and sorry for the PC-speaker linux app, I once downloaded it from Doomworld´s Dos utility section and never looked inside the .zip)[/quote]

a pice of metal foil coated on both sides with a very stiky heat compound. a pice of that would hold the fan in and i also want to know if they sell this "sticky foil" for fans and cpus

That's the white gooey stuff? You should be able to get it at most hardware stores, I forget what it's called but at work we actually had a small can of it. It's designed to help transfer the heat from the processor to the cooling unit, so if you could get some of that it would help a bit.

Again, this is a 486 so even overclocked, it's not gonna put out that much extra heat.

yea i know about the heat compound. I have discovered that it comes in two flavors, sticky and not sticky. I will have to ask for the stiky stuff this time so that bastard stays on. also as for turning the case on its side, i can not much room and it has to go on the floor. If i turn it on its side i will most likly step on it and junk like that