Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darkman 4

ESRB gets a ton of flak for not factoring in GTA: SA's sex "game" while rating it.

DooMer87 said:

Also, I'd like to point out that there WILL be another GTA game. the dude who owns take 2 said that they wont make another one for PS2. Anyway, I've heard we have to refuel cars and raise farm animals and there are "online possibilities." Holy crap

Why the heck would there be farming in GTA? I don't see the point of that in GTA, unless you're growing fields of marijuana to make large amounts of money.

pilottobombadier said:

Yes it should be. It is game content, it is there. And it was accessed, user mod (that unlocks the content) or not.

THE CONTENT WAS PACKAGED WITH THE GAME!

Ralphis said:

THE CONTENT WAS PACKAGED WITH THE GAME!

Yes Ralphis, I'd already established that. But it was locked by code. Hot Coffee, iirc, unlocks it. The point is, is that the content is there, in the box, made by Rockstar, and they knew it.

The fact that they locked it implies that Rockstar did not intend for the user to access the content. It would be within the terms of the EULA (ever read those?) that, should the user modify his game outside of built-in user interfaces (I'm just interpreting the legalese here), the game is no longer supported by the developer, the publisher, or any established ratings system.

If Rockstar intends that nobody ever discovers it, then that's their intent and they'd better be darn sure of themselves. But if someone does, in fact, discover it, then all bets are off and Rockstar should be held 100% responsible.

EULAs rarely come to the aid of a software developer because it's a protocol and generally understood that nobody reads them.

DooMer87 said:

Also, I'd like to point out that there WILL be another GTA game. the dude who owns take 2 said that they wont make another one for PS2. Anyway, I've heard we have to refuel cars and raise farm animals and there are "online possibilities." Holy crap

I can see it now:

GTA: Pulp Fiction
GTA: Clockwork Orange (someone suggested it a while back)
GTA: Somalia

WildWeasel said:
The fact that they locked it implies that Rockstar did not intend for the user to access the content.

That arguement does not hold nowadays. Even in 1993 id was expecting people to hack DOOM to pieces and produce add-ons.

They put it there to attract attention, knowing that modders would find it. It's an "easter egg" for the modders community.

What isn't working well is that games for adults don't sell well unless you include teens in their market. Perhaps its a stunt to both publicize the game itself and potentialize the sales of games with more extreme content (which would bear the AO tag)?

there is a difference between legally expecting people to hack your game, and expecting people to hack your game in reality. In reality, Rockstar and most developers probably dont give a shit, in fact they probably support it for the most part. But legally, hacking your game voids everything and the company will not support it at all.

As for what I was saying:

From wired:
Grand Theft Auto's producer, Rockstar Games, said it was now working on a new version of the game that would satisfy the original "M" for mature rating. It said it would provide new labels to any retailer willing to continue selling the version currently on store shelves.

So basically now they would offer the "M" version while still offering the original one, thus placing the game on both ratings simultaneously.