Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Doom Marine

Generating Animated Textures with Boom

I used up all the stock animated textures of Doom2 [including BLODGR, SLADRIP, and WFALL]. I read up on a couple of forum threads and learned that new animated textures can be made from Boom.

I downloaded the Boom Editing Utility [495 kb], read the instructions, and tried the programs, unfortunately the DOS programs shutted itself down immediately: I was using Windows XP.

As a last resort, knowing that Vrack3 had at least one custom animation, I opened up vrack3's ANIMATED lump and tried to read it in bytes, words, and ASCII... still haven't a clue.

So how do I start making animated textures for Boom?

Doom Marine said:

I used up all the stock animated textures of Doom2 [including BLODGR, SLADRIP, and WFALL]. I read up on a couple of forum threads and learned that new animated textures can be made from Boom.

I downloaded the Boom Editing Utility [495 kb], read the instructions, and tried the programs, unfortunately the DOS programs shutted itself down immediately: I was using Windows XP.

As a last resort, knowing that Vrack3 had at least one custom animation, I opened up vrack3's ANIMATED lump and tried to read it in bytes, words, and ASCII... still haven't a clue.

So how do I start making animated textures for Boom?

That gave me an idea, that is if you don't get the ANIMATED compiler to work...

You can take the ANIMATED lump from another wad and use it's added animations for yourself. Of course you would have to find out what to name your textures. This should all work in theory.

Problem Solved! And just to help anyone stuck with this problem in the future, I'll describe the steps I took to make the Boom Editing Utilties program work in Windows XP:

NOTE: A prior knowledge of inserting animated textures and lumps using Deepsea, XWE, or Wintex may be necessary.

--- ---

1) Unzip the entire Boom Editing Utilities into C:\Boom Editing Utilities.

2) In the Boom Editing Utilities folder, there is a DAT file called DEFSWANI... Open it up with Wordpad.

3) Reading DEFSWANI with Wordpad, follow the instructions included to make a new animation series.

4) Once you are done, Save and exit.

5) Go to the Start bar, click Run.

6) Type "cmd" and hit enter. A CMD window will pop up.

7) Type "CD\BOOM EDITING UTILITIES". A new command line with the same folder name will appear.

8) Type "SWANTBLS DEFSWANI". An ANIMATED and SWITCH lump should be created in the Boom Editing Utilities folder.

9) Use Deepsea, XWE, or Wintex to insert the ANIMATED lump-- and the SWITCH lump if you wish--into your PWAD.

10) You can now go about creating animated series that you designated earlier.

--- ---

Some steps are flexible and probably not the only way around.

Good luck!

Doom Marine said:

Because Windows XP has problems executing old DOS programs. I see in your reply below that you have solved this by running it in a DOS box. This does not always help. In that case, try right-clicking the DOS file you're trying to run, and choose properties. Here you can choose a compatability setting. If that fails, go and find VDMSound on the web.