Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mkfanatic

Original Doom

I was wondering something about the original Doom. Seeing how I'm a console player and not much of a pc player (sorry, it's the truth) I've never really played the PC version of the original Doom until they ported it to the Xbox on the Collector's version of Doom 3. Anyways, recently I played through it to beat it again and I found something different (to me anyways). The only version of Doom that I have played that is closest to the PC version is the SNES version of Doom. I know it is not as good as the PC version and it also does not have all the levels but back in the day it was the only way I had to play so this is where I know it best. Anyways, my question is regarding the episodes. On the SNES version, at the end of Episode 1, you die (which I'm sure happens in every version). Then you have to start a totally new game to play Episode 2, back to 1 pistol and your fists. Now, Episode 3 is where the SNES confused me. After you beat Episode 2 on the SNES version, you go directly to Episode 3 with all the guns and health you had when you beat Episode 2. This always confused me, why do you have to start Episode 2 independently but not Episode 3? I had no basis to go on and nothing to compare it to so I was confused but I didn't mind it. You can still start Episode 3 independently but you can also go to it directly after Episode 2. Now, recently, after playing through Doom again on my Xbox, I realized after beating Episode 2, you do not go straight to Episode 3. You have to start a completely new game and you're back to square one. So my question is, is this how it's really supposed to happen? You're supposed to always start a new game for Episode 3? You can't go directly to Episode 3 with all guns and health from Episode 2? It makes a little more sense. If you can't go to Episode 2 from Episode 1, it would only make sense that you couldn't go to Episode 3 from Episode 2. Do you understand what I'm saying? So, in my mind, I've always been under the impression you're supposed to go to Episode 3 directly after beating Episode 2. If you're not supposed to, then why did the SNES version have this feature? It's actually kinda nice and makes it easier.

Yes, in the PC version it was 3/4 completely separate episodes. I have no idea why the SNES version is different.

I belive they do this in the GBA DOOM as well, going to a new Episode w/ all your weapons. It was really cool, even though it did take out most of the challenge in the early levels of the starting episode.

As for starting all over in the 2nd Ep and not in the 3rd on SNES is beyond me, probably wanted to make it realistic like the room knocks you unconcious, and you wind up someplace else and your just fortunate enough you got a pistol, or something like that.

mkfanatic said:

It's actually kinda nice and makes it easier.

Each of Doom's episodes are designed to be started with the pistol, not a full arsenal of weapons and items. This is obvious by simply observing the number and type of monsters inhabiting the early levels, and the weapons that are supplied to you.

Allowing the player to directly continue from episode 2 straight into Inferno is considered a cheat in my opinion. You should really start each episode separately once you've finished the previous one. This was how the game was meant to be played by the designers.

The transition "feature" is most likely a bug in the SNES version, particularly considering they did not program a transition between episode 1 and 2.

I have started Inferno seperately many times and have beaten Episode 3 like this. In fact, I have only done the going straight from 2 to 3 a few times.

I did always think the logic sucked though. You complete Episode 2 and look down onto the fiery pits of hell below. You know you need to go down there to continue the fight - so what do you do first? Throw away all your weapons of course. :/

Enjay said:

I did always think the logic sucked though. You complete Episode 2 and look down onto the fiery pits of hell below. You know you need to go down there to continue the fight - so what do you do first? Throw away all your weapons of course. :/

It's quite obivious that he couldn't carry anything else but a pistol and 50 bullets while climbing the Infernal Mountains of Doom.

Heh, yeah that makes sense, but then the fact that he can normally carry a chainsaw, pistol, shotgun, DB shotgun, rocket... well, you get what I'm saying.

And if you do have to throw away something, of course you are going to throw away all the powerful stuff and keep the pistol, aren't you? :)

Now that I have looked up the word "rappel" and found that it means "abseil", I wonder why a guy who can fall any distance without taking any damage at all needs to do that.

Enjay said:

Heh, yeah that makes sense, but then the fact that he can normally carry a chainsaw, pistol, shotgun, DB shotgun, rocket... well, you get what I'm saying.

Keep in mind that video games aren't real life ;)

Dodge said:

Keep in mind that video games aren't real life ;)

They're not? Damn, somebody could'a told me sooner. :D

Still in a logical sense its kind of dumb that you wouldent keep more valuable weapons that are easy to carry around with you-hence the shotty.

Even though the Doomguy could've carried all his weapons down into Hell, perhaps the combined weight of that, any armor on his person and all those additional weapons (aside from a pistol and 50 rounds) would've snapped the rappelling cable.

Inferno said:

Still in a logical sense its kind of dumb that you wouldent keep more valuable weapons that are easy to carry around with you-hence the shotty.

The pistol can be holstered fairly easily. I imagine that's why he chose that over the shotgun, though given the fairly negligible weight difference, it'd still be logistically wiser to take the pistol, given its ease of transport.

TheDarkArchon said:

He rappels down a cliff. Maybe the pistol and ammo was all he could carry down with it without the rope screwing up.

Perhaps the doomguy threw all his weapons and ammo off the cliff before he rappeled down to Hell. That would explain why Hell is littered with ammo, health kits and weapons.

Or maybe Doomguy didn't climb there, he was teleported by the monsters. Doomguy's stuff were in his backpack, his pistol and 50 bullets were in his suit's pocket. When the monsters teleported Doomguy, the backpack was not close enough to the body. Like when he was sleeping. I'm sure he doesn't sleep with his backpack on his back. I'm sure he would sleep with his pistol and those 50 bullets in his pocket.

How else Doomguy suddenly finds himself from some weird slimy pit in front of some Hell Keep? Why would he climbed there? He wouldn't have climbed there if he had climbed into that Hell Keep(or where ever his legs and arms would have taken him) place without teleportation "help".

Jimi said:

How else Doomguy suddenly finds himself from some weird slimy pit in front of some Hell Keep? Why would he climbed there? He wouldn't have climbed there if he had climbed into that Hell Keep(or where ever his legs and arms would have taken him) place without teleportation "help".

EASY! Sandy Peterson slipped Doom guy the Mickey and disposed of him there.

mkfanatic said:

Not to be offensive, but have you ever played Doom?

Me? I think I have. Couple times when we played war with my friends and we were yelling bang bang bang and then yelling I got you I might have thought we were playing Doom and not war. I think we never played Doom in the same way as it is in the computer. We possibly imitated some of the sounds and animations while playing war or just for fun. So I have played Doom.

I would probably go play Doom with some friends right now if I just found some friends who also likes to play Doom.

How about you? Do you play Doom, have you ever played Doom or do you just sit tight in front of your computer?

uh, yeah, I've played Doom many many times. It's just your ideas on how the Doom guy got to Episode 3 are kinda odd.

Interestingly, in PSX Doom, you can play through Doom and go straight to Doom 2 with all of your previous weapons. Also, none of the episodes in Doom 1 are seperated. This seems very cheaty to me, as I prefer starting over with each new episode. It provides a nice challenge. There was also no sense of seperation in the Final Doom PSX wads, although PSX Final Doom was more a "sampling" of Final Doom and Master Levels than the whole game, so yeah.

Hm... *tests*

Yes, it does.

If you play on skill1/2, only Episode 1 appears on the menu for selection. If you play on skill1, all you get is episode 1. Play skill2, you get transitioned to Episode 2 right after. However, doing this means no transition from Episode 2 to 3. If you play on skill3 or higher, you can play through all three episodes of SNES Doom consecutively.

I dunno about how/why he loses his stuff in the transition from Ep2 to Ep3, but my best guess is that with the transition between the Martian moons somehow his stuff got lost in the teleport. Common sci-fi occurance.

I still want to know what was going through the minds of the people behind that comic when they made it.

That's some of the funniest shit I've ever seen... the absolute best part is when he blasts away in the dark room with the shotty, flips the light on and sees all the death and goes "Groovy"