Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scabbed Angel

Willy Wonka Willy Wonka!

So anyone seen it? I may tomorrow. From the clips I've seen, Johnny Depp is very very creepy and that song gets stuck in my head.

I was reading Ebert's review and was humored because he remarked that Depps acting reminded him of Michael Jackson. This is hilarious because he was using Marilyn Manson as an inspiration for the role. Marilyn Manson sucks.

"What was he thinking of? In "Pirates of the Caribbean" Depp was famously channeling Keith Richards, which may have primed us to look for possible inspirations for this performance. But leaving "Pirates" aside, can anyone look at Willy Wonka and not think of Michael Jackson? Consider the reclusive lifestyle, the fetishes of wardrobe and accessories, the elaborate playground built by an adult for the child inside. What's going on here? Bad luck that the movie comes out just as the Jackson trial has finally struggled to a conclusion."Heh.

The only thing I'm wondering about, is what the Umpa Lumpas will look like in this movie... and will they sing their song?!

Dahls wife was appaled at the original movie, and therefor she disallowed any remakes for a long time, but apparently she thought this one was damn close to the book.
The song was in the book. So I suppose it will be here.

I do like Depp and all, but give me Gene Wilder any day. I get the feeling, from the trailers, that this movie is going to try too hard to be creepy and wierd just for the sake of being creepy and weird and that just isn't going to work...regardless if Depp is Wonka or not. Plus I dislike movie remakes.

Oh yeah, that haircut of his in the movie just fails it too...jesus christ

I haven't been Disappointed with any of Depp's performances, So I don't think this one will be any different. All I can do is hope!

ravage said:

i miss Gene Wilder

He still appears in the occassional film, though most of them are TV movies. Back in '99 he voiced the Mock Turtle in a version of Alice in Wonderland.

Jehar said:

Dahls wife was appaled at the original movie, and therefor she disallowed any remakes for a long time, but apparently she thought this one was damn close to the book.
The song was in the book. So I suppose it will be here.

Also Burton didn't like the old one either, so it's technically not a remake

I saw it the other day, and it was actually pretty good. Johnny Depp only looks creepy in the movie, I thought he was pretty funny. The movie wasn't that scary or weird, but I do think parts of it were so scary and weird that children shouldn't see it (like the whole part with the squirrels and the girl).

The Umpa Loompas don't sing the songs from the original movie, instead, they sing new songs made by Danny Elfman. The songs happen when the children have problems in the factory, and they're always about them and what they did. The way the Umpa Loompas dance during the songs is pretty funny.

Technician said:

What are the new Children like? I know they kept the rich and fat kid in it, but the other two look new.

From what I remember from the original movie, the other two kids are completely new in this version. One is a girl who's an overachiever, and the other is a boy who plays violent videogames and watches rock music videos.

caco_killer said:

and the other is a boy who plays violent videogames

Let me guess, he kills everyone and some mom is like "omgz teh games did it!"

Saw it. It's great. Better than the Gene Wilder one, and a lot more truthful to the book.

Oh and the oompa-loompas are about half a billion times cooler than the old ones.

Lord FlatHead said:

Saw it. It's great. Better than the Gene Wilder one, and a lot more truthful to the book.

My stepmom said it best; when you go see a movie based on or inspired by a book, don't go to it hoping it'll stay as true to the book as possible, just hope for a good movie. Hell, I loved I, Robot, and it has very little to do with the book other than the names of a few of the characters.