Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PhoenixRising

Question about Doom Collector's Edition PC

Well, I have been torn between getting Doom Collector's Edition PC and Doom 3 for PC, or getting Doom 3 Collector's Edition for XBOX which is basically both. My question is:

The PC version of Doom Collector's Edition: Is it at all compatible with frontends, level editors, WADs, etc. etc. etc? I ask because I'd love to try some of the good ol' Doom levels and such as well as try WADs out. I dont have Doom 1 and 2 for PC anymore, and even if I did it would be a major pain to get them setup in DOSBOX, because I have Windows XP. I would probably play through the classic games once too, just for nostalgia, even though I've played them more times than the highest number I can count, hahaha.

Also, I would like to know if GLDoom can be used with it, since I would like to enjoy the higher resolution/lack of pixelization that old school Doom didn't have.

Get the PC versions. You can run the classic games with "source ports", modified engines that do various things to the game. Since you like GLDoom, I reccomend picking up Jdoom, which is OpenGL and has all sorts of pretty effects that make it look more like a modern game. The PC version of Doom 3 has an expansion pack, Resurrection of Evil, which greatly improves the original game.

well that's what I needed. The reason I was considering the XBOX version is because of split screen play for the classic games and such, plus my PC's graphics card and such isn't top notch, but it's good enoguh to run Doom 3 I imagine (The Demo ran just fine) and I thought about getting the expansion too. If this works with doom-related programs then I'm definitely getting this.

Jehar said:

Bleh. Free online play with the pc. Go for it.

Technically, no, it isn't free, because you have to pay for the ISP :-P

PhoenixRising said:

The PC version of Doom Collector's Edition: Is it at all compatible with frontends, level editors, WADs, etc. etc. etc? I ask because I'd love to try some of the good ol' Doom levels and such as well as try WADs out. I dont have Doom 1 and 2 for PC anymore, and even if I did it would be a major pain to get them setup in DOSBOX, because I have Windows XP. I would probably play through the classic games once too, just for nostalgia, even though I've played them more times than the highest number I can count, hahaha.

Also, I would like to know if GLDoom can be used with it, since I would like to enjoy the higher resolution/lack of pixelization that old school Doom didn't have.

Well, the collector edtion is just the 2 games with final doom that is the two megawads made by TeamTNT.
It is just the plain games included with a Windows Frontend named Doom95. In my opion I feel they should have included more stuff, like megawads, map editors, etc...

And for GL support with Doom, you should try Jdoom as it also support hi-res textures, mp3 music, etc...

PhoenixRising said:

The PC version of Doom Collector's Edition: Is it at all compatible with frontends, level editors, WADs, etc. etc. etc?

Not completely.

There are only the 1.9 -IWADS for Ultimate DooM, DooMII and Final DooM.
It has also DooM95.

That version of DooM95 on the Collector's Edition misses the mouse driver, that is needed to use the mouse in DooM 95 under Windows 9x. That's nothing you would miss as a WinXP user, because that mouse driver doesn't work with XP at all.
There is also not the doom.hlp -file, that gives you hyperlinked windows help.
They have put PDF-files for Help documentation instead of that on the Collector's Edition -cd.
You can get an uncrippled version of doom95 here:
http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/idstuff/doom/win95/

The Doom Collector's Edition has not the original DOS-executables (known as 'plain vanilla doom').
They are required for example, if you plan to make dehacked patches.
I think, a lot of the older doom launchers and support tools will work best with the executable, for that they have been originally made.
The original DOS-executables are also something like a 'minimal reqirement -standard' for doom-add-ons:
If a WAD works with plain vanilla, it should work also with any source port.
Plus, it's nostalgia... :)

If you own only Doom Collector's Edition and want to have Plain Vanilla DooM,
follow the instructions below.

* DooM II in plain vanilla *

You can download the DOS-shareware version of doom v. 1.9 here:
http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/idstuff/doom/doom19s.zip
The executable is exactly the same as those of registered DooM v. 1.9 and Doom II.
So, in order to play with the doom2-IWAD as originally intended, you can install the 1.9-DOS-shareware -version of DooM in a directory, called: /doom2 ;
In that directory, delete the shareware IWAD: doom1.wad and rename doom.exe into doom2.exe.
Then copy the doom2.wad from the Doom Collector's Edition -CD in the /doom2 -directory.
Now run setup.exe, make your settings, save your work and play doom2 as originally intended.

* Ultimate DooM in plain vanilla *

For Ultimate DooM is an additional step reqired, because the original 1.9 doom.exe doesn't have access to the forth episode of Ultimate DooM.
So this is what you have to do:
Install the 1.9-DOS-shareware -version of DooM in a directory, called: /udoom ;
In that directory, delete the shareware IWAD: doom1.wad.
Then copy the doom.wad (Ultimate DooM) from the Doom Collector's Edition -CD in the /udoom -directory.
Now download the upgrade patch from Registered DooM v.1.9 to Ultimate DooM here:
http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/idstuff/doom/19_udpat.exe
Copy 19_udpat.exe into your /udoom -directory.
Official Install instruction:

This file upgrades DOOM version 1.9 registered to The Ultimate DOOM.
Decompress this file to your DOOM directory and type 'pshell' to start.

When the upgrade is done, the fourth episode is avaiable.
Now run setup.exe, make your settings, save your work and play Ultimate DooM as originally intended.

* Final DooM in plain vanilla *

As far as i know, you won't be able to restore the DOS-version of Final DooM as perfect as those of udoom and doom2.
For TNT.WAD and plutonia.wad follow the instructions for DooM II above.
Install them in two different directories, named /plutonia and /tnt .
Just use the TNT.WAD and plutonia.wad instead of doom2.wad in the description above.
You have to rename them into doom2.wad after copying them in their new directories.
What you are missing are the level names and intermission texts of Final DooM.
You will see those of Doom2 instead.
You are also missing some bugs of the Final DooM executable. I know about some, that made teleporters behave strange sometimes.
Probably some demos, that have been recorded with the original Final DooM -exe will not playback correctly with this workaround.

Okay, enjoy the game!

Greetings
FunDuke

funduke said:
You have to rename them into doom2.wad after copying them in their new directories.

Alernatively one can place them in DOOM II's directory, or under it, and use the -file parameter (e.g., doom2 -file tnt.wad) to the same effect.

You are also missing some bugs of the Final DooM executable. I know about some, that made teleporters behave strange sometimes.
Probably some demos, that have been recorded with the original Final DooM -exe will not playback correctly with this workaround.

Right; the teleport bug where you are spawned in mid-air, and the behavior of Lost Souls, where they bounce like in The Ultimate DOOM. Also, PrBoom and Eternity will play back Final DOOM demos with the bug and the behavior change.