Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

It Is On Mars!

Recommended Posts

At the San Diego ComicCon there was a Doom movie panel, apparently. Any attendees got a glimpse of a 90 second trailer for the movie and a second unfinished piece as well:

The teaser trailer had a lot of quick cuts of The Rock; Karl Urban and the rest of the cast along with brief looks at the monsters, the environment (and they look right out of Doom 3, by the way; right down to the computer screens on the base) and battles with the monsters. The second clip is the one that got the most reaction; part of the first person shooter sequence featuring Urban’s character. Yes, the movie will at one point have a viewpoint just like the game, right down to the weapons loading animation.

Check out the rest of the article over at Gamecloud. The movie hits theaters on Octover 21st, by the way. Muchas gracias to Shacknews. You may commence complaining and/or speculating... now.

Share this post


Link to post

omg fp.

(and they look right out of Doom 3, by the way; right down to the computer screens on the base)


It's a pity they werent saying that about the monsters :/

Share this post


Link to post

The thing about having first-person viewpoints like in the game sounds rather intriguing to me. If done properly, this could add quite a bit to the film to make fans of the game feel more at home, as well as give other members of the audience something they probably haven't seen before.

Or it could screw things up.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm liking the sound of this.

Now lets hurry up and duct tape Nightmare's mouth shut and tie his head down before it grows to inconceivable proportions.

Share this post


Link to post
RTC_Marine said:

is the trailer floating around on the net somewhere?

As of right now, I would guess not, unless someone managed to get some shaky cam footage while at the event. There is a possibility that the trailer might be released on the internet sometime in the future, but it might also be exclusive to Comic Con attendees.

Share this post


Link to post

"The Rock said that he saw a version of the movie a few days ago and in his words “It really kicks ass”."

Haha. What if his response had been

"The Rock said that he saw a version of the movie a few days ago and in his words "It's just another mediocre action film"."

Share this post


Link to post

Hm...

"The Rock said that he saw a version of the movie a few days ago and had proceded to douse himself with gasoline, set himself on fire and leap out a nearby window." :D

Share this post


Link to post
DemonDemon said:

Hm...

"The Rock said that he saw a version of the movie a few days ago and had proceded to douse himself with gasoline, set himself on fire and leap out a nearby window." :D

Now THAT would make an awesome movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Gamecloud said:

the movie version of id Software’s first person shooter will take place ON MARS rather than an unnamed planet as had been talked about in the past.

I'm really glad they scrapped the fantasy planet idea.

Share this post


Link to post

That's assuming the whole fantasy planet idea wasn't just invented by someone who had nothing to do with the movie, and they've been planning to use Mars all along.

Share this post


Link to post

It's also possible that all the pie-in-the-sky ideas we've heard about the movie were all fabrications with the sole function of stirring up controversy amongst fans. The movie may in fact feature a plot revolving around invading Hellspawn, excessive gore and devilish imagery, and mindbending special effects. The movie could potentially be faithful to the Doom franchise and kick buckets of ass at the same time.

OK, maybe that last sentence was taking it too far.

Share this post


Link to post
NiGHTMARE said:

That's assuming the whole fantasy planet idea wasn't just invented by someone who had nothing to do with the movie, and they've been planning to use Mars all along.

Numbermind said:

It's also possible that all the pie-in-the-sky ideas we've heard about the movie were all fabrications with the sole function of stirring up controversy amongst fans. The movie may in fact feature a plot revolving around invading Hellspawn, excessive gore and devilish imagery, and mindbending special effects. The movie could potentially be faithful to the Doom franchise and kick buckets of ass at the same time.


I think I brought up those exact same points a few posts back ;)

Share this post


Link to post

omg cyb is back from the dead

and there's no way this movie will ever turn out to be even HALF-decent, although I'm glad they dumped the "fantasy planet" stuff.

Share this post


Link to post

Sounds good to me. I'm just hoping for small jokes relating to the original games, like...The Rock fiddling with a wall that looks a little out of place, and the group just looking strangely at him and move along, or uh...something. I would also like to see one or two zombies splattered in a huge explosion of blood and gore by a rocket.

It's on my get-on-DVD list and I'm sure I'll enjoy it too.

R rated, what does that mean again? 13+?

Xenophon still won't shut the fuck up. Watch the film and don't state your opinion as a fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Xenophon said:

and there's no way this movie will ever turn out to be even HALF-decent, although I'm glad they dumped the "fantasy planet" stuff.


You're entitled to your opinion. In my less than humble opinion, you're an idiot.

Here's another article which discusses some of the delightful gore in the flick, the FPS section and the strong reception the whole thing got from those who saw it.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/634/634545p1.html

Interestingly this still mentions the creatures are mutations. However, in this article I found via Arrow in the Head, The Rock apparently said "From minute 5 we're there. Non-stop train ride to Hell." This suggests my theory may be about right - that the creatures being genetic mutants is based on initial reports that turn out to be wrong or are a deliberate smokescreen by Sarge or some other boss figure, and their true origin is revealed as the plot unfolds.

http://www.aint-it-cool.com/display.cgi?id=20755

It also mentions that all the monsters are 6 - 9 feet tall practical effects created by The Man aka Stan Winston and his crew. All in all, things are looking up in my book.

Planky said:

It's a pity they werent saying that about the monsters :/


Fear not. From the Ain't it Cool article:

Confirmed in the movie: MARS! IMPS! HELLKNIGHT! THE BARON! PINKY DEMONS! GORE!

Numbermind said:

It's also possible that all the pie-in-the-sky ideas we've heard about the movie were all fabrications with the sole function of stirring up controversy amongst fans.


Why? To make them decide not to see the movie?

Share this post


Link to post
JoelMurdoch said:

Why? To make them decide not to see the movie?


Well, you know what they say, there's no such thing as bad press. Also, lowering someones expectations of a movie, is a good way to make the movie more appealing when the person with the low expectations are surpriced that it wasn't as bad as he had expected. ;)

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, exciting news. I actually don't mind the idea of most everything, especially the monsters, being from Doom 3 - I've not yet played the game for one, and perhaps this means they had allot more resources for the other stuff.

I think 6 minutes of FPS style is nice indeed, hopefully it remains in the final film. Also, seems there was some sexual tension happening between Karl and The Rock, hope that shows in the movie, may make for interesting subtleties.

Share this post


Link to post

It doesn't show the teaser. They just say what Cyb posted in the news post. It's a waste of time unless you're one of those people who has to see everything for themself.

Share this post


Link to post
Youn said:

Also, seems there was some sexual tension happening between Karl and The Rock, hope that shows in the movie, may make for interesting subtleties.


I don't know what's more hilarious, that this is either a good joke or that you may actually mean it. :D

Share this post


Link to post

what is it with people with "X" being the first letter of their usernames being complete dicksocks when it comes to discussing this movie?

Share this post


Link to post
dethtoll said:

what is it with people with "X" being the first letter of their usernames being complete dicksocks when it comes to discussing this movie?


I don't see where informing people not to waste their time on streaming a rather lengthy video when they have a summary of all the important information on a News post already qualifies me as a dicksock. I was also answering the question as to whether or not the 90 second teaser was included. Maybe you should quit being a dicksock about people who you're complaining are being dicksocks instead?

Share this post


Link to post
Xenphire said:

I don't see where informing people not to waste their time on streaming a rather lengthy video when they have a summary of all the important information on a News post already qualifies me as a dicksock. I was also answering the question as to whether or not the 90 second teaser was included. Maybe you should quit being a dicksock about people who you're complaining are being dicksocks instead?


i wasn't actually referring to you this time around.

it does apply to you in past discussions, however.

Share this post


Link to post
dethtoll said:

i wasn't actually referring to you this time around.

it does apply to you in past discussions, however.


Well with previous information I felt I had every right to have the opinion I did. However this news makes me have a little more faith in the movie, and I'm actually looking forward to it now :) So just for clarification, I wasn't bitching about the movie just to bitch.

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder how many of those people who were adamant certain plot details were "fact" but will be proven wrong upon the movie's release ever admit to it?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×