Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mkfanatic

Doom novel based on the movie

Brilliant, a book based on a movie that's based sort of off a game that's based loosely off of another game. Now, if only id will make a game based off the new book, and the full incestual cycle will be complete.

Edit: Note also how it's going straight to paperback.

Movie novelizations are usually paperbacks, unless it's for some absolutely major film (e.g. Star Wars).

sargebaldy said:
Brilliant, a book based on a movie that's based sort of off a game that's based loosely off of another game.

A game which in turn is heavily based on two movies, movies which draw a lot from a certain book author (sometimes aesthetically, sometimes in detail,) author which shows a good deal of influence from at least two others before him. Although indeed the concentration in influece and the obviousness and directness of such is, in the case of this movie novel, getting to brain damaging levels. But does it matter? As long as the author is better than the one who wrote the DOOM game novels, it'll at least be less foul than those.

I said in an earlier thread that I'd bring this up when I found out more information on it. Well, here's the scoop so far, and I'm surprised nobody else has brought it up yet.

Jumping on the bandwagon, the DOOM movie will have a novelization released on September 27, just under a month before the release of the movie. Its author is John Shirley, also the author of the Constantine movie tie-in novel. It will be 320 pages total, longer in number of pages than any of the previous DOOM novels based on the first games. The cover shown isn't very impressive, just a solid back background with the DOOM 3 logo sans the 3 and in white block lettering above it a caption saying "Now a major motion picture from Universal Pictures".

Information can be viewed here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/141650995X/ref=wl_it_dp/102-7362698-0266510?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=IA97YP1WKGEX9&v=glance&colid=24SMI4S5EK0O6

What are you thoughts on this? Are those of you skeptical about the movie going to want to check this out first and save a couple of bucks on buying a movie ticket and possibly seeing some shots from the movie itself? I'm not expecting this to be a Pullitzer Prize winner or anything like that, just something fun to read when I have time to kill. And, hell, it's got DOOM on the cover! For the record, I'll be doing both: reading the book first and then seeing the movie regardless of how it is.

Discuss.

Dodge said:

I'm surprised nobody else has brought it up yet.

They have. Please check for earlier threads on the same subject before starting a new one. Threads merged.

Grazza said:

They have. Please check for earlier threads on the same subject before starting a new one. Threads merged.

Look, I browse these forums daily, and the first post in this thread said it was posted on the 18th. I would've noticed it then. But I digress.

Although I enjoyed the original Doom novel (the first one) when I was younger, I'm sure this one will be more "mature," considering Doom 3 has a bit more of a storyline to it.

Dodge said:

Jumping on the bandwagon, the DOOM movie will have a novelization released on September 27,

That's the same day as the Family Guy movie will be out.

Aren't most of these novelizations just the full script that's been hammered into a book form? The two books based on movies that I've read certainly seemed to be - they included scenes that magically showed up in the special editions of the movies.

myk said:

A game which in turn is heavily based on two movies, movies which draw a lot from a certain book author (sometimes aesthetically, sometimes in detail,) author which shows a good deal of influence from at least two others before him. Although indeed the concentration in influece and the obviousness and directness of such is, in the case of this movie novel, getting to brain damaging levels. But does it matter? As long as the author is better than the one who wrote the DOOM game novels, it'll at least be less foul than those.

i'm having trouble wrapping my brain around that.

It refers to DOOM having elements from Evil Dead II and Aliens, which both draw from HPL. The 1st even mentions the Necronomicon, the latter shows similarities the general story (but in a less mythical way) and the monster concept (both Giger's claimed inspiration on HPL and the general idea of the creature as raw alien power.) And HPL himself takes heavily (to good effect, I'd say) from Lord Dunsany (dream prose) and Poe (horror.)

Of course, those inspirations are more referential and vague (or artistic) than the franchise based remakes and offshoots.

I'll read the book first, even though I read Shirley's book "Demons" and was disappointed. (It starts out good but turns to sh*t later on.)

If the book is a brown mound, then I won't waste money on an (increasingly) expensive movie ticket...I'll just bide my time 'til it's on Netflix...

sargebaldy said:

Now, if only id will make a game based off the new book, and the full incestual cycle will be complete.

Todd Hollenshead has stated that there's a possibility of further DooM games being made based on the new canon of the film. Go figure.

Er, damn. Well, I basically lost hope in that company about a decade ago so it's no big deal for me. Knowing id, they'll just pass it off to some 3rd party company and not even bother with managing quality control themselves. They've proven themselves unwilling to care what's released under their name, or what people do with their titles.