Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Grazza

Demo text-files quiz

Just for a bit of fun, I've chosen 15 extracts from demo text-files. Your task is to guess who was the player in the demos in question. If you can state what the demo was, so much the better.

The demos can be from compet-n, SDA, DSF packs, the TAS site (old or new), or ones that have appeared in this forum. The players are different in each case. I chose some slightly obscure ones, because if I made it too easy, Kristian would get them all straight away. :P

1. "Whole shooty family, and fact that I just killed their cousin outside probably had something with why they was so eager to see my blod on the floor...or just maybe their stupid invisible pets was hungry."

2. "Verily shall archviles fail to be distracted by chaingunners; and when at last thou dost achieve a good time, it shall be on a run wherein thou wast forced to shoot a mancubus, and which thou carriedst on only for practice."

3. "Yeah yeah yeah... Hi kids... Today's show's gonna be the funniest, side-splittingest cavalcade of... Aw, to hell with it. Roll the cartoon."

4. "Quick description: I die after 9 seconds, and the boss brain dies nearly a minute later. ... the revenant is just the other side of the boss brain from it, and so the lost souls it spits out in retaliation hit the boss brain before they reach their target. Of course, things get a bit messy with lots of lost souls piling up, but the pain elemental moves around enough to keep things going."

5. "Rocket-jump for acceleration. -130% of health, but this is also minus one sec."

6. "Afterwards, it's time to deal with the new sets behind those lowering walls around the outside of the map... I take care of some sets the same as before (archvile hallways are too risky) but I let loose a good portion of the monsters at the same time to make it more interesting."

7. "Enjoy this earthquake style demo Radek :P You may find it very hard to beat."

8. "so maybe it'd work even without a rocket...? :) man, that'd piss sedlo off. heheheheh." "OMFG! I just removed the teleporters ... guess what I managed" "you did it without a rocket?" "yep" [I had to edit this one a bit to avoid giving the identities away.]

9. "* hitting switches that activate traps that kill monsters ("Don't look at me - *I* didn't wire up this place...")"

10. "The map is fun when you have the BFG and are slaughtering the hundred or so Imps in mass...that's my favorite part =) I'm not hard to please, especially when it comes to bodies splattering all over the place....fun stuff."

11. "Constant action! I love this map. At first I thought this would be too hard for me and there wouldn't be enough safe places. What? Safe places? You don't need them."

12. "And I must explain why I shot a rocket in front of my face before exiting... I wanted to cross the exit line being dead but while going up the elevator I noticed I had too much health to suicide with a single rocket. So I reduced the health with that rocket. However, I had forgotten that it was the last rocket so I had to exit the level normally, being alive :-))"

13. "A couple of lost souls in the walls, I didn't like the monster positioning at the red door this time and I think better use could be made of the 2nd invulnerability. I didn't trigger the secret at the 2nd invuln which rather pissed me off 3 hours later when I found out. Still - pretty happy to pull it under 4 mins."

14. "But what nobody really can get used to is being surprised every time we cross back over our own path. The enemy are already awake, so they get the jump on us, this time. No more picking them off one by one, because chaos is already nipping at our heels. Soon our swath of destruction will turn against us with mass respawns and chaotic enemy placements, quickly eating away our armor, quickly" [There are two possible answers for this one.]

15. "Okay, now I'm done with this map.... I love it to death, but am now sick of recording it.... Thanks for beating my times here Eugene, without your kick ass demos, this route would have remained hidden for a long ass time.... Oh and Doug, again thanks for the tips with the other demos I sent... They did pay off, by over a minute... :)"

Good luck!

Number 2 is Adam Williamson's pp13, I believe. Pretty good for a text file. :)

yeah, 2 is a classic!

hmm... 4 is Sir Burgess, I think.
I've read most of those, but it's a hard quiz.

I recognize one other, but only because it's mine, so I won't spoil it. :)

Number 7 "earthquake style" - that's Xit Vono after changing to mouse.

EDIT: Found it :)

In e2m2-320.txt Radek wrote:
"Piece of cake. Btw. Was there an earthquake happening during that demo, or do your hands actually shake that bad while playing? I have heard that California does get earthquakes now and then."

And Xit's complete answer in n1s2-057.txt:
"A nice 2 second improvement here. I never made 58 here which was surprising for me. Enjoy this earthquake style demo Radek :P You may find it very hard to beat."

Number 15 - Richie Agnew in hr241104.txt:

"Well, at first I had a 11:09 maxdemo that I recorded with the Complevel 2 parameter set,
but when I went back to watch it (after already mailing it to Opulent) I realized that the
damn thing didn't work right.... Went out of sync right as the demo started.... Ohhh, but I
was really, really pissed off... So I went and looked at the demo text files that came with
the newest version of Prboom, and it seems that the Complevel 0 is the one that is used for
doom and Doom 2 version 1.9.... Well, that would explain the weird things that happened in
the making of the other demo (archviles and chaingunners being stuck together and such)...
That doesnt happen here... :) Okay, now I'm done with this map.... I love it to death, but
am now sick of recording it.... Thanks for beating my times here Eugene, without your kick
ass demos, this route would have remained hidden for a long ass time.... Oh and Doug, again
thanks for the tips with the other demos I sent... They did pay off, by over a minute... :)"

That was quite easy to find. I only had to check the SDA archived news for places where Eugene is mentioned ;)

Some ones I know:

1. Sedlo, in his 30uv TAS run

8. AdamH and Adamw discussing lv24 speedrun tactics (I think this was in AdamW's demo zip)

14. Originally Andy Kempling on his e1 nightmare run. Then Panter quoted it in his 30nm.

There were a couple of others that looked familiar but I'm not sure. And one of the remainder is mine, so I better not give it away either :)

Great idea! I'll mention some of the ones that haven't been identified.

Number 5 is from Andrey Budko's 30uv1441.txt, describing his rocket jump in map 19. You just have to love that, it defines what TAS is about in one short sentence...

Number 6 is from Vile's HR2 map 32 description in hr2lmps (the HR2 pack). I laughed when I first read him describing unleashing all those monsters at the same time, as "interesting".

Chris -> Number 8 is Adam H's lv24-036.txt. I like the very last sentence in that file the best:
"PS. Will we ever end finding new tricks?" :-)

Number 9 is from Ryback's p1m66514.txt, describing a suggestion for a new playing style, "hypocritical pacifist", as he was physically exhausted from making such a long and tough run.

Number 11 is from Angus's Kama Sutra map 25 max run in the Kama Sutra pack. Great run, great comments... I had to verify this, so it wasn't that easy. It did sound like him, so that helped. :-)

Number 12 is driving me NUTS! AARGH! It sounds like I wrote it (at least in my opinion I express things like that), but I can't remember ever writing that... So it has to be from somewhere else. That one will keep me occupied for some time!

Overall an excellent choice of texts there...

EDIT: Removed some text.

I could be wrong, but 10 sounds like Altima, and intuition told me 12 could be Donatas Tamonis (Donce.) So I check the 1st demo of his I find, and indeed it's from Map05 of Ultimate DooMer's op-lite2 (dtoplmps2)!

Very impressive! That just leaves number 3, and Altima's demo for number 10 to be identified.

In level 30 the Imps aren't so abundant. But I felt I had seen it rather recently; it's he27-253 (respawn,) from the penultimate COMPET-N update, that I went over not too long ago.

Heh, I'd avoided a section with a ^_^ to make it a bit more of a challenge.

I thought #3 was one of the easy ones... Clue: it's someone who has posted in this thread. And my current title is relevant.

stroller of some kind then...

edit: yeah it's

HR2 - Map 01 by Kristian Ronge

in the stroller compilation pack from a couple of months ago

Yay! Someone got it! BTW, Grazza, I thought it was pretty hard (I'm not sure too many people downloaded the Stroller pack).

A fun idea, this quiz.

Kristian Ronge said:

A fun idea, this quiz.

Thanks. If anyone wants to make another one, feel free. Lots of good material to choose from. Maybe it's time we had a contest too, given that was one of the stated intentions when this forum was started. :p

Nearly forgot... here's a list with the details of the players and demos, and links to where they can be downloaded. (The demos that is, not the players.)

1. Marijo "Sedlo" Sedlic, 30uv1617 (TAS)
2. Adam "AdamW" Williamson, pp13-044 (compet-n)
3. Kristian Ronge, h201s020 (Stroller Pack)
4. Graham "Grazza" Burgess, buinp104 (SDA)
5. Andrey "entryway" Budko, 30uv1441 (TAS)
6. Drew "stx-Vile" DeVore, h2322206/hr2-lv32 (HR2 demopack)
7. Jim "Xit Vono" Leonard, n1s2-057 (compet-n)
8. Adam "AdamH" Hegyi (talking to AdamW), lv24-036 (compet-n)
9. Chris "Ryback" Ratcliff, p1m66514 (compet-n)
10. Casey "Altima Mantoid" Alvis, he27-253 (compet-n)
11. Jochen "Angus Thermopyle" Schneidau, ks25-344 (KS demopack)
12. Donatas "Donce" Tamonis, dtoplt05 (dtoplmps2 - Operation Lightning demos)
13. Cameron Prosser, hf24-359 (TAS)
14. Andy Kempling (aka Aurican), e1nm1444 (compet-n) / Thomas "Panter" Pilger, 30nm4949 (compet-n)
15. Richie Agnew, hr241104 (SDA)