Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Manc

What In Jägermörder Is Going On?

Afterglow, continuing his recent attempts at making himself look productive through actually releasing things, has done it again with Jägermörder 02: Terra Nova. Due to some hefty map statistics the only port that will run it at the moment is ZDoom, however he does state that it's "Boom compatible".

Building this level with glBSP 2.10 was interesting: using the default -factor and -fast, it overflowed the V2 limit (requiring a V3 supporting port). But using -factor 11 without -fast and it doesn't overflow. So playing it on a GL-node supporting port (EDGE, ZDoomGL, jDoom, etc) should be possible (though there is still the Boom-compatibility requirement).

Cool. I enjoyed Jägermörder 1 a lot, so here's hoping that the second part'll live up to it when I play it tonight. :)

Heh I remember the original and I liked that map a lot so here's hoping the sequel is just as good, if not better, which I'm sure it will be.
On another note I remember the review for Jaegermorder 1 on Team Insanity said that the author hoped there would be a part 2...well, I suppose he got his wish....but five years?

Most annoying chaingunners ever. :P

Edit : Oh god .. this has more BS traps than I could possibly ever imagine. No armor, and you teleport surrounded by shotgunners in metal bars. Then 2 of hell knights come out, trapping you. And all you have is the shotgun, still no armor. HOLY SHIT

This wins my award for most annoying wad of the year, and I haven't even gotten halfway into it.

Edit 2 : Ok, I got past the initial traps .. which are still really annoying. And after that it was cake. I died once during the cyberdemon battle (cause I was acting stupid), besides that nothing happened. I still think it'd be better w/o those traps :P

udderdude said:

Most annoying chaingunners ever. :P

Edit : Oh god .. this has more BS traps than I could possibly ever imagine. No armor, and you teleport surrounded by shotgunners in metal bars. Then 2 of hell knights come out, trapping you. And all you have is the shotgun, still no armor. HOLY SHIT

This wins my award for most annoying wad of the year, and I haven't even gotten halfway into it.

Well its clear that you suck. I played on skill 4 and ownt that shit up. The arachnatrons/revenants outside in the cool looking courtyard were a pain though. Mostly because the heatseaking missles

udderdude said:

Oh god .. this has more BS traps than I could possibly ever imagine. No armor, and you teleport surrounded by shotgunners in metal bars. Then 2 of hell knights come out, trapping you. And all you have is the shotgun, still no armor.

They're the only annoying traps I remember, after that it's much fairer. And you're rewarded with a fair amount of health after them anyway. Excellent map, and definitely not annoying over all.

I thought the latest versions of PrBoom had upped the SEG limit? But the map still crashes it for me.

Those early traps are in there to separate the true players from economic girly-men. You could have just lowered the difficulty level since skills 1, 2, and 3 iteratively simplify the first three traps.

DooMBoy said:

I remember the review for Jaegermorder 1 on Team Insanity said that the author hoped there would be a part 2...well, I suppose he got his wish....but five years?

6 years.

The Flange Peddler said:

I thought the latest versions of PrBoom had upped the SEG limit? But the map still crashes it for me.

There's over 32,768 sidedefs too, but even before it was above that limit I tested the map in PrBoom and it crashed, so I just kept adding detail. Too bad, I was hoping there'd be some sort of demo competition. :/

kristus said:

Jäger == Hunter
Mörder == Killer/Murder

It still sounds like nonsense in German.

The chaingunner elevator wasn't all that bad, but those Hell Knights were just vile. I think the way I ended up getting past them was to hug the right wall close enough so that the second one didn't wake up. EVIL!!!

I found plenty of helpful secrets, although I'm not sure how much a "secret" the megasphere really was. It was an excellent way to force the player to work a little for some health, though.

kristus said:

Jäger == Hunter
Mörder == Killer/Murder[/B]

Graf Zahl said:

It still sounds like nonsense in German.

Jägermörder is just a GSL translation of a Fear Factory song title. Terra Nova doesn't refer to the Antarctica expedition; it was more towards an UAC-directed terraforming of Mars that I didn't bother going into detail in the story because I'm slothful like that.

To others, the file now appears in Doomworld's idgames template so you can add your reviews if you wish.

Cool map, wish id had used such detail at the release of doom 1 ;)
Just one question remains, how do i lower the bars at the exit?
No monsters left and barred from the exit by some stupid bars i would bomb away in RL ;)

Bastet Furry said:

Cool map, wish id had used such detail at the release of doom 1 ;)

You do realize at the time Doom's minimum requirements were a 386 w/ 4mb ram and that was considered a fast machine at the time? This isn't even at the upper-end of my detailing, I have other unreleased material with more work put into it...

A 386 was the bare minimum, i know, and i played it as a stamp edititon with my 386/40 and an ET4000.
But with some asm tweaking it should be possible to make it faster.
id should had hired some people from the demoscene to optimize their code ;)
And no, i dont mean DooM64k or something by this... *g*

Outstanding map, even more than I expected (and since it's from Afterglow I expected a lot). It's that kind of map that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside :) It even stopped me from playing WoW for 30 minutes. Easily one of the best maps this year.