Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mkfanatic

PSX Final Doom Nukage Processing

I'm in the process of playing through Final Doom on the Playstation and I've noticed on this level a lot of weird "secret" areas that won't open. You are given the computer map on this level and there are about 7 or 8 areas I cannot access that stay white and when I exit the level, it says I got 100% of the secrets. It doesn't make sense to me. Also, I heard there was a Cyberdemon on this level but I didn't come across one. I think I have the difficulty on Hurt Me Plenty so maybe you need to have it on UltraViolence for the Cyberdemon to show up, I don't know. Maybe somebody can give me some answers.

The cyberdemon was removed in the psx version, as for the secrets, I wouldn't be surprised that they are glitches. Its more likey its something similar to the inaccessible chainsaw secret found in Unholy Cathedral in the PSX version..

Well, there's this one area oustide in a sort of cove in the wall where you hit a switch and the circular room drops down and there's another switch that will lower it again if you don't go up with the rest of the floor when it goes up. There is absolutely no point to this. And this is one of the areas of the map that shows a room behind the wall with the switches. I also noticed 3 partial invisible pink demons facing the switch (backs to me) which also seems pointless when there's only one way in.

Most of those empty extra areas were copied directly from the PC version (where they're not as easy to notice, since they don't show up on your Automap when you pick up the Computer Map item).

In both versions of the map, the large round "inaccessible" chamber in the northern-most room is a Deathmatch-only start point, with nothing useful in there. (In the PSX version, if you're using the "object indicators" map cheat, there appears to be an object inside, but it's just a puddle of gore on the floor; you're not missing anything. :)

It seems like these map areas did originally have a point to them (more Deathmatch Starts, or other secrets), but they were abandoned before the map was finalized. That's my best guess, but who knows, maybe there is some purpose to them; I'm too lazy to dig out a map editor. ;)

Side note on that room-behind-a-room with the switches on the east edge of the map: in the PC version the square pillar in that extra room has the "Romero"-in-blood texture on it...