Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

N00b about to get into Doom editing

I've never made a Doom level before, but I definitely would like to give it a shot. But with so many source ports and editors, I don't know which one would be right for me. I'd like a very visual, user friendly editor, and I would like to use a source port that allows for slopes and multiple floors, if both can be achieved. I'd also like one that has good support for adding new graphics, and possibly new sounds and music. What would you recommend?

ZDoom's the only port out there I know of that supports slopes and "3d" floors (check v2.0.96), and if you look at the community build, 2.0.96x-2, it has custom weapons support to some extent. Also, try Doom Builder as your editor (which is what most people will say) but I use DEU most of the time so I'm not going to say anything else.

When it comes to level editors, Doom Builder is very easy to use, and it even allows you to see your level before you compile it to play within the Doom engine.

As for which source port you should use, I say try them all and look at what features they offer. For instance, ZDoom is the most popular engine because it has quite a few features that offer a great deal of freedom when it comes to creating custom content based on your imagination without ruining the original games or making them too complicated, but other ports such as EDGE or JDoom or Eternity might entice you more because they offer features that work for or interest you. Take your time with deciding what port you would like to use, and keep in mind you can make maps for any port even after you choose a "favorite". Until you find a good source port to use, I would recommend making maps for vanilla Doom until you get the hang of map editing and such.

Snarboo said:

When it comes to level editors, Doom Builder is very easy to use, and it even allows you to see your level before you compile it to play within the Doom engine.

Heh, even though it takes all of three seconds to compile and run a Doom map on today's hardware.

Your choice,
DoomBuilder - Which is very user friendly and supports almost everything!
DeepSea - Which is a little harder to use but still is a very solid program and works well!
I have used alot of differant editors over the years and these two seem to be the best!

GoatLord said:

I've never made a Doom level before, but I definitely would like to give it a shot. But with so many source ports and editors, I don't know which one would be right for me. I'd like a very visual, user friendly editor, and I would like to use a source port that allows for slopes and multiple floors, if both can be achieved. I'd also like one that has good support for adding new graphics, and possibly new sounds and music. What would you recommend?

Doom Builder. I'm also a noob editor. Also do ACS scripting and use XWE. I ask a lot of questions to help me with my Upheaval project.

I think it would help if I stated what kind of levels I want to make. My ultimate goal is to make a level based around my house and the surrounding area. I know in the past, many of tried to make "house wads," often with crude results, but considering what modern source ports can do, plus the fact that I'm a pretty good texture/sprite artist, plus the fact that I live straight up in the "ghetto" (which makes for some interesting urban ambience), I can probably make something interesting for a single player level. For this wad, I'm going to want to do geometry that would require multiple floors (such as my house and the attic, or "true" representations of desks and computers), etc. Can zdoom pull this off or should I use EDGE or something else?

BlackFish said:

Only jdoom has room-over-room.

Eh no, JDoom is NOT the only port which has room-over-room. In fact it wasn't even the first.
Please check your facts before making wide sweeping statements.

No, it does not yet. But take the advice posted above: learn to edit for vanilla doom, first. Here is what I suggest: Make a deathmatch map for plain ol' Doom. DM maps are relatively simple to make, and basically contain all of the basics a map needs...

Oh god, maybe I should make a DM map that is just one sector. *evil*

Source Ports that have Room over Room:
Edge, Legacy, Risen3D, Vavoom.

Source Ports that have slopes:
zDoom, Vavoom, zDoomGL, Skulltag, zDaemon

zDoom and Eternity have a feature called "portals" which can emulate a room over room effect; however, they are limited in scope and not helpful for what you are wanting to accomplish.

That sucks. I mean, I'm not trying to make anything overly fancy, but I want to make basic architecture like computers and desks, and to make them look good it would require multiple floors. Also, making a house with an attic would be a lot easier without having to deal with sending the player to different rooms. :-\

start out with these: doombuilder lets you get away with alot of mapping ignorance(print out all the hot keys and use them as a reference while mapping), legacy is simplistic and easy to use, it has 3d floors/coloredlighting/opengl, all the effects are tag lines, (i use legacy, sue me :p), and wintex may seem outdated and buggy to many, but you can get around these things easily while getting used to the friendly interface. forget about zdoom scripting, fragglescript for legacy, super fancy effects- atleast until you are ready for them.here is a great legacy editing link full of good tutorials.(not all just for legacy).
http://legacy.newdoom.com/der/index.shtml